M1907 Sling, Australian Made

robinb

This turned up at our local gun show today in a box of misc slings. It appears in every respect to be an M1907 sling, except for the Broad Arrow mark and the rivets on the keepers and sewn area of the sling. I've been searching the 'net all afternoon but can't find one like it, or any leather maker KW. My gut feeling is that it's made in Australia because of the dark colored leather. Any other opinions?

MVC_007S.JPG

MVC_008S.JPG

MVC_009S.JPG

Charlie Flick

Hey Robin:

That is a neat find. I can't say that I have ever seen or heard of a similarly marked M1907 sling.

I think your supposition that it is of Australian origin is correct, but not because of the color. Leather color is highly variable and easily changed or affected by environmental conditions. However, it is well known that Australia supplied many items to US Forces in WW2, including leather items such as machete scabbards and holsters. It has been observed that the Aussie made stuff usually is marked with a Broad Arrow and a letter. The letter is thought to represent a government inspector.

I have in my collection a US M1916 holster made by "GP&S" and marked with a Broad Arrow and a letter. I seem to recall that fellow member Artu also has one of these Aussie made holsters.

I don't know who "KW" was but perhaps one of our Australian members here can point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the post. You are always coming up with the good stuff.

Regards,

Charlie

I don't believe the H Broad-arrow is an Australian mark, but I honestly don't know. I do, however, have some good info for you: '07 slings were issued with Enfield No4 T sniper rifles, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why your sling is British government marked.

Australian made, no doubt. At the time I was chasing USM1916 holsters I've found two of them aussie made, one inow is in Charlie collection and one in mine (I've heard another one is int he hands of another forum member. )When I first saw that broad arrow on an US item I asked to brit fellows and they told me that the broad arrow with a capital letter is tipically australian. Further I found that the manufacturer G.P.&S. made leather gaitors for the aussie cavalry in 1929.

Now Robin has the problem to identify that unknown australian leather maker named KW.

post-67-1333052710.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Charlie Flick

Robin:

I had forgotten about, but just ran across, this old thread that sheds some additional light on the Broad Arrow/letter inspector's marking found on Australian made USGI goods. Note in particular the posts of Mr-X who is an Aussie collector:

http://www.usmilitar...d...=62707&st=0

BTW, I just noticed that the Aussie made 5 cell magazine pouch I posted in the earlier thread was made by "K.W. Pty. Ltd.". Coincidence?

Regards,

Charlie