1910 Schaller forge & 1918 Buffalo forge

aefcav

A little different of a grouping...

I have been working on this group for awhile and finally completed the tool chest for the Schaller forge with the acquisition of the vise. Also in this group is a super rare stable coveralls and jacket from ww1. Both the Schaller and the Buffalo forge were carried on the pack saddle, forge on one side and the tool chest that included the vise and 32lb anvil in the tool chest on the other side. I am still looking for the issue leather apron for the farrier.

Mitch Fenton

Always seeking AEF cavalry groups or single pieces. Uniforms, photographs, gas mask bags, equipment marked to the 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 15th cavalry 1917-1923[/i]

post-3174-1332716490.jpeg

hbtcoveralls

fantastic display! I love cav gear and that is some of the best. Can you possibly photograph each individually so that they can be on the forum for reference?

Thanks

Tom Bowers

• 1 month later...

Mitch, new member here. I discovered your post while doing some research on military forges. Our local Military Museum has a Schaller forge and I hoped you might be able to share some of your research. They have no tools specific to it, that they know of. Any info. and pictures of what you have found would be appreciated. I'm a part time blacksmith and have two generic military forges of a later make ( see below, I now have 1 set of correct legs), I'm guessing around WWII. I've seen several like it and none have any kind of nomenclature or info. on them. What manufacturer made the anvil and vise for your Schaller set? I know Fisher had a government contract and provided their "Eagle"anvils for the Army and Navy over a period of years. I'm in Portland Oregon and appreciate any help you can give.

http://www.oregonmilitarymuseum.org/

post-58244-1337628088.jpg

El Bibliotecario

This doesn't really add anything to the discussion, but I thought the past respondent might find my late friend's forge interesting--he acquired it in unissued condition from Rock Island Arsenal, and it appears to be similar. Unfortunately his habit of using it as a table obscures some of the detail.

post-2215-1337658815.jpg

Lol, I like the practical use! In fact it would make a mean coffee table in someones gun room!

Gary, I have seen different variations of that ww2 forge around and have seen one with Aluminum legs. The tool chest for the Schaller has a tag inside the lid that lists all the tools that occupy the chest, If you would like I can shoot you a photo of it or post it here. It was a prentiss vice and it has taken me 20 years to find mine! But the buffalo forge or M1918 has a similar contents tag.

• 1 month later...
Gary, I have seen different variations of that ww2 forge around and have seen one with Aluminum legs. The tool chest for the Schaller has a tag inside the lid that lists all the tools that occupy the chest, If you would like I can shoot you a photo of it or post it here. It was a prentiss vice and it has taken me 20 years to find mine! But the buffalo forge or M1918 has a similar contents tag.

Yes Please! Any photos you can share are appreciated! I'm particularly interested in the anvil and vise. Thanks

• 3 years later...

Mitch, how is the article on the WWI AEF coming? I'd be interested in reading it when done. It's been awhile but I'd still like pictures here or PM of the anvil and vise for the Schaller Forge. I'm helping the Oregon Military Museum with a display. We have the forge and that's about it. Is the attached picture similar to the Shaller anvil (34 lb)? What did the 17 lb. anvil look like?post-58244-0-43569000-1465327539.jpg Thanks, Gary