5th ESB Monument above Omaha Beach

NebrPatch

Members and friends of the 348th Army Engineers Association are becoming increasingly concerned about the deteriorating condition of the 5th Engineer Special Brigade monument overlooking Omaha Beach. A few years ago the large combined operations insignia ( eagle, tommy gun, & anchor) was stolen off of the monument and there are a number of maintenance issues to be addressed. "Before" and "After" photos of the monument w/ missing insignia are attached.

Even though the 5th ESB monument is not on their list of maintained sites, I wrote to the American Battle Monuments Commission anyway. The AMBC replied that they have no money to maintain the site and offered no suggestions. It appears that no one is taking care of the monument or attempting to replace the stolen insignia.

I’m beginning to think the scope of this project is way beyond the letter-writing campaign 1 person and a large-scale fund raising operation for restoration and continued maintenance is needed.

Suggestions from forum members are welcome.

Tom

post-5886-1332712345.jpg

post-5886-1332712362.jpg

I've written a letter to Nebr. Senator Ben Nelson who's on the Armed Services Comm., he refered me to the ABMC.

Tom

This may be the beginning of the stark realization that the ever tightening world budget crises has no limit to the lake of money. Available funds have dried up for such causes as monuments. The fasted they are repaired, the faster they will be desecrated by thieves who want easy money. Truely....NOTHING IS SACRED !

I think JS is right about the economy playing a part. Also, it seems that more people are becoming ambivalent about donating for war memorials that don't have any specific meaning to them in the here and now. It's a real shame, and I expect it to become worse not better. My wife and I just attended a local community event last evening that has been going on in our area since the 40's. The committee that puts on the event is down to five members. It's the same with most organizations that thrived after WWII here in the states such as the Grange, Moose, Elks, IOOF and the like. There are fewer and fewer individuals that are community minded and willing to step up and take care of monuments and traditiions as had been the case in the past. It is really sad in my opinion. Evidently, it is more fulfilling to have one's face in an I-phone 24-7. I live in a pretty rural area and really see the effect here. Maybe it is different in other areas of the US and beyond. Jeez, I think I got off topic a bit here. Sorry. Anyway, I hope that a solution can be reached regarding the ESB monument. Being so far from the states really makes it difficult.

Zeph

It's a sad world we live in. :(

I hope they do manage to restore this monument, but I have my doubts.

Why doesn't the French government do something?

Or local re-enactor and collector clubs?

They can raise the money (bake pancakes, sell French products, whatever).

Erwin

This is a disgrace...whoever is directly responsible has a moral duty to maintain it in pristine condition! I don't know how to set one up myself, but these days more and more folks are circulating e-petitions to support their causes. This might be worth investigating? It's a relatively easy way of drawing attention to the cause and gaining a lot of support via "signatures" which will ultimately be forwarded to the appropriate body.

This is why you are supposed to "technically" work through the ABMC when installing such a thing- so they can make sure you also fundraise for the money to provide for it's upkeep. If someone happens to know who is the 'responisble party' for the memorial perhaps something can be worked out. I have long argued that reenactors should do more to maintain things like this instead of just do private events for their own fun and claiming it is "for the veterans."

If anyone knows a proper point of contact for the thing (I'm not sure who originally paid for it) email me off line.

I think the proper thing would be to find out (from the ABMC) how much it would cost to set up the fund to maintain it forever, and work to raise that money and turn it over to them. I sent out some feelers already, but sadly I fear the insignia was probably pulled down and melted as scrap. Heck 30 years ago they were stealing guns from Belleau woods to sell for scrap metal (bastards!)

Johan Willaert
If anyone knows a proper point of contact for the thing (I'm not sure who originally paid for it) email me off line.

It's been there since the early 50s.... Does anyone remember????

Picture below is from 1954...

post-92-1332863478.jpg

Fibre glass or resin perhaps? I'm ashamed to say that in recent months the UK has suffered a plague of metal thefts (the price of scrap metal being at an all time high) and that thieves have targeted many of our war memorials, which tend to be made of solid bronze. Lists of the names of the fallen have been ripped from their mounts never to be seen again...melted down in the name of profit! I can't tell you how much outrage about this is being felt by honest, law-abiding citizens in this country!! Some memorials have now been replaced with "bronzed" fibre glass facsimiles. When the thieving scum are caught they receive automatic custodial sentences. I can't tell you what I'd like to do with them! :evilgrin:

I suspect the ESB crest was stolen as a "trophy", not for its scrap value. Either way such desecration is a heinous crime!

Whatever the material, make it cheap, and attach it firmly. Make the material sp cheap, and so hard to break off, the buttholes give up trying to steal it, or deface it.

It's been there since the early 50s.... Does anyone remember????

Picture below is from 1954...

I will do some checking on who financed the monument.

Tom