Painting an M1

2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.

Hello everyone, this is my first post of many to come! I got a front seam swivel bail that was repainted for Vietnam, and I have stripped it down to repaint for Korean War reenacting. First, I have been told that sand finish came around during Korea, but I don't know whether or not cork was predominant (nor do I know where to find it locally). Second, was texture used on all helmets? And last, what color would be best to paint it (MUST have a brand)? I understand J. Murray and Top Pots have the spot on color, however it costs $15. It's somewhat difficult to explain, as I know there were a variety of OD paints and a lot of the helmets used during Korea were leftover from WWII. I know it seems like I should have just left the helmet be, but that distinct lime green just didn't do it for me and from I understand, is incorrect for a Korean War helmet. Thanks in advance!

Padre 501st
I think WWII helmets with cork texture were the most common type used in Korea, going by photos, most soldiers wore WWII era helmets

2ID,

A website you might check out is armyjeepparts.com for paint color. He has several colors including early and late war WW2 paint.

I had been trying to find the color that most of my original items like cases and jerry cans are painted. Seemed hard to find, but was probably painted post war OD that would be used in Korea. Earlier WW2 color was lighter, flatter OD.

Check them out. Good luck,

Chris

http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_page/pa...m#paint_pricing

2ndInf.Div.
2ID,

A website you might check out is armyjeepparts.com for paint color. He has several colors including early and late war WW2 paint.

I had been trying to find the color that most of my original items like cases and jerry cans are painted. Seemed hard to find, but was probably painted post war OD that would be used in Korea. Earlier WW2 color was lighter, flatter OD.

Check them out. Good luck,

Chris

http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_page/pa...m#paint_pricing

Thanks a lot! But I was looking for something I can get locally rather than online, is Krylon Camo Olive Drab any good? Also, in regards to cork vs. sand, where can I go to get ground up cork locally? Otherwise, is there a way I can grind it myself?

2ndInf.Div.

Ok, I think I just found out what I need to do. After looking through the Preservation section of the forums, I found that I can get the cork from a local hobby shop and the paint can be Krylon Camouflage Olive Drab. Does this sound about right? I was thinking of spraying the helmet, putting the cork on it, and then giving it more coats and adding cork where necessary, as well as removing loose bits. Let me know your thoughts!

2ndInf.Div.

Ok, I think I just found out what I need to do. After looking through the Preservation section of the forums, I found that I can get the cork from a local hobby shop and the paint can be Krylon Camouflage Olive Drab. Does this sound about right? I was thinking of spraying the helmet, putting the cork on it, and then giving it more coats and adding cork where necessary, as well as removing loose bits. Let me know your thoughts!

most recorked helmets Ive seen never look original, when helmets needed a repaint in the Korean war era they usually just painted over the old finish by using a paint brush and bucket of paint , the same type of paint used on military vehicles

Ive never see a recorked paint finish on a Korean war era helmet, they either used a sand silca paint texture or used a paint brush

BILL THE PATCH

hi, i've done a couple of restorations for helmets and i use camo green, got it at the local ace hardware store it's a very close match to ww2 and korea. i think someone here on the forum actually told me that.

2ndInf.Div.

I got olive drab spray paint and medium brown ballast (the local hobby shop didn't have cork, but I think this stuff will work). I mixed it in with primer, so far I'd say it looks rather good!

2ndInf.Div.

Well after going to check on the helmet and take off any loose pieces of the ballast, nearly all of it fell off, so now you can just see the spots where it once was...debating on stripping the primer or continuing on and painting the helmet, your thoughts? (If I do strip it, I will not re-texture it).

2ndInf.Div.

Yes but the ultimate question is where do I get the cork? There is a local model train shop that will be open tomorrow and I've heard they are very well stocked, I'll drop by tomorrow and see if they sell very fine ground up cork. Otherwise, does anyone know how I can grind it up myself? Thanks for all the help so far, I greatly appreciate it!

Yes but the ultimate question is where do I get the cork? There is a local model train shop that will be open tomorrow and I've heard they are very well stocked, I'll drop by tomorrow and see if they sell very fine ground up cork. Otherwise, does anyone know how I can grind it up myself? Thanks for all the help so far, I greatly appreciate it!

How I found this USMF is when I was restoring a helmet for reenacting. Maybe someone can find the link?

Somewhere there is a thread here where a teenager just got old wine corks, one of those parmesan cheese graters and a parmesan/pepper pizza shaker. That what I used and it worked great. Luckily I'm friends with the local wine shop here in Whittier and they gave me a bunch of corks.

I used Krylons "Olive" color ( it will say"Olive" on the sticker bar code), although it looks great for shovels and other equipment, it looks too light of a green to my eyes and not that deep green I'm used to. Granted everyone who sees my helmet says I'm way to critical. Maybe try Testor's Olive Green or Tamiya's Khaki Drab (it's not a light tan color) or Tamiya Olive Green. Try the hobby shop and check out what is available, usually it's matched up good and under $10 a can.

I'll try to take a picture of my helmet and show you how it turned out....

Good luck!

Leonardo

2ndInf.Div.

Hey guys, sorry I didn't see that anyone posted back :pinch: I will give that grater method a shot tomorrow since I won't be too busy. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, sorry I didn't see that anyone posted back :pinch: I will give that grater method a shot tomorrow since I won't be too busy. Thanks!

I just posted pictures of my M-1 that I re-corked. Used Krylon OD spray paint.