Pith Helmet EGA

collector

Here's an EGA from a pith helmet. Notice the thick border on the inside. Looks typical except for the border, is it unusual?

post-1414-1199327809.jpg

it's late WWII economy lead (pot metal). It probably cast a longer screwpost than the brass ones. this would also be used on service garrison covers, no difference between the two emblems. I, too, have one in my collection. These are a bit uncommon thumbsup.gif

Were EGAs issued with the pith helmets, or did the individual provide their own? I haven't seen a shot close-up enough to see if officers used officers EGAs, or if with the pith helmets nobody cared.

Were EGAs issued with the pith helmets, or did the individual provide their own? I haven't seen a shot close-up enough to see if officers used officers EGAs, or if with the pith helmets nobody cared.

Each Marine was issued one service cover emblem. He would wear it on the appropriate cover or helmet of the day. The only time I have seen the Econo-Lead or economy pot metal emblems on original cards, they have been private purchase makers cards, so it is my personal opinion that this type of emblem was strictly for purchase, not issue. During the same period these economy emblems were around, the Marine Corps issued the plastic economy emblems, but I have never seen evidence or heard first hand accounts of any WWII Marines being issued the Econo-Lead or economy pot metal emblems. As WWII EGA's go, these emblems are rather scarce in complete sets, even when compared to the plastic emblems.

Gary

Greg Robinson

I own a "salty" looking 1942 dated Marine pith helmet that appears to be unmessed with since it was in military service. Here are pics of the service cover emblem on it.

post-4-1199363627.jpg

post-4-1199363653.jpg

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that the WW2 plastic emblems are commonly found.

Considering that thousands and thousands of Marines were issued bakelite or plastic emblems, you would think they would be just as common as the early war and late to post war M1937 bronze emblems. Not so by a long shot! One reason they aren't is because of the tendency of these delicate emblems to break or rot away over the years. I have found more than I would like to think about that have had parts of the anchor or eagle broken away and missing. You will also find them with the alloy roller nuts frozen to the screw posts from untreated corrosion. One bad thing about broken emblems, if you have both pieces, is the fact that there hasn't been a glue developed yet that will permently put them back together. Believe me, I've tried all the glues and haven't found one yet that works on this bakelite composition material. The frozen roller nuts are just as aggravating when trying to loosen them, even with lubricants. Nine times out of ten, the screwpost will break free from the plastic globe when attempting to loosen them. And then, there is the "throw away" factor. I don't even want to think about how many of these desirable emblems ended up in squad bay garbage cans when bronze emblems were finally obtained.

All in all, the plastics can be found rather easily if you really want them, but for the years I have been collecting EGA's, they have always held a rather nice value over the bronze or alloy economy types of the same period.

Gary

ARGGHHH! One of the nicer broken ones. This cover emblem is only missing the bottom anchor fluke!

post-84-1199424294.jpg