Photo's found by accident while searching on line.

patches

Love the dog! "Stick 'em up!"

Found this one, a group of GIs, 28th Division Unit Unknown, place taken unknown, possibly Normandy, there horseing around on an abandoned Bergpanther tank recovery tank. The Revolver the one is pointing at his buddy, is this a U.S. Issue one? if it is it's interesting that it seen issuance to this extent, you know like it would be a weapon seldom seen.

post-34986-0-75100800-1363120331.jpg

Jumpin Jack

This next one, an action photo, taken in the early 60s, of a group of GIs, Infantry I presume, of the 7th Infantry Division, South Korea during what I gather is some kind of Amphibious training, it seems to me to be a mock up of a Landing craft and tranport ship side,note the net hanging down. They are all wearing M56 gear, but are for this date, typical of this period(1959-1962 ) carry the old familar weapons, they also have burlap camo covers on their pots, check out the little KATUSA, in the front.

I was assigned to the 7th Infantry Division (CO A/3/32nd Inf) during the period 1963 - 1964. During this time, we wore the burlap helmet covers. We took part in what was publicized as the largest amphibious operation since WWII, crossing the Han-Imjin River estuary in Higgins boats under the eyes of the North Koreans. I have personal photos of this exercise. Jack Angolia

I was assigned to the 7th Infantry Division (CO A/3/32nd Inf) during the period 1963 - 1964. During this time, we wore the burlap helmet covers. We took part in what was publicized as the largest amphibious operation since WWII, crossing the Han-Imjin River estuary in Higgins boats under the eyes of the North Koreans. I have personal photos of this exercise. Jack Angolia

Very interesting Jack, did you at that time carry the new M14 Rifle? in this photo I found the 7th Div troops as we see are still armed with the M1s, M2 Carbines no doubt, as well as the BAR.

A 28th Division Jeep.

post-34986-0-38650700-1363321999.jpg

PS the other 28th Division photo, the one with the GIs skylarking on the German Bergpanther, will, now that I,m looking at it be one taken in the spring of 1945, just as this one with the jeep, in both photos the men are wearing Buckle Tops.

Not sure when this one was taken, but it is from the Google Life archive. The only caption is Soldier Of The Future. He's carrying an M-14, so it seems like this future came and went already.

post-2064-0-57972800-1363355743.jpg

Came across this while doing some research on the 65th Inf Regt to honor my dad. The bayonet charge, while it was not the last one conducted by a unit in the US Army. It was the last Battalion Size Bayonet Charge. There was one a few days later when an infantry company was ordered to conduct one. My take on this is the 65th Infantry Regiment while throughout the war had more than once proved their bravery, honor, etc they were basically a segregated unit. At the time of this charge the only non Puerto Ricans were some of the officers like my father. My father has told me on numerous occasions and official Army documents support his claim, from the Division Commander and higher, resented the 65th Inf and tried to discredit, dishonor, disgrace this regiment with all their might. Which is why I believed that other infantry company (non-hispanic) was order to execute a bayonet charge. because they did not want the 65th or a non white, Puerto Rican unit to have this honor.

The one with the company guidon is the same company as my dad served in. But the picture was taken 11 years earlier. The other is one of the M4A3E8 assigned the 65th Inf Regt's Tank company

post-3699-0-42981300-1363411753.jpg

post-3699-0-29322600-1363411772.jpg

post-3699-0-79257200-1363411784.jpg

firefighter

That is a great picture.I have never seen this one before.It really shows what the U.S. military is is all about, to help those that need help or can not help themselves.

That is a great picture.I have never seen this one before.It really shows what the U.S. military is is all about, to help those that need help or can not help themselves.

It is a great illustration, very touching, and worth the effort and the spirit that went into it, but I believe Mr Rockwell goofed a tad, note the GI is in a Combat Zone with weapon, web gear yet he has the Khaki Uniform on, plus the wrong web gear if he is carrying the Thompson, but really that's not important, I just looking at from the uniform historical accuracy view, and we do do this :lol:

Joltin Joe DiMaggio and Pee Wee Reese, I guess this must have been after VJ Day right? Can't imagine these two would have the time to play exhibtition like uniformed team ball, you know, a with a War and all :D Reese by the way was in the Navy. Can't make out what's on Reese's jersey, DiMaggio, that's easy 7th Army Air Force.

post-34986-0-80961900-1363981544.jpg

Jumpin Jack

Very interesting Jack, did you at that time carry the new M14 Rifle? in this photo I found the 7th Div troops as we see are still armed with the M1s, M2 Carbines no doubt, as well as the BAR.

No, the M-14 rifle had not yet made it to Korea. M-1's were the primary rifle. My personal weapons was the M-1 carbine, .45 cal M1911, and my ever present German combat knife. I was amazed at the number of WWII vehicles and weapons around. Of particular note was the quad-50's. Jack

No, the M-14 rifle had not yet made it to Korea. M-1's were the primary rifle. My personal weapons was the M-1 carbine, .45 cal M1911, and my ever present German combat knife. I was amazed at the number of WWII vehicles and weapons around. Of particular note was the quad-50's. Jack

Thank you Jack, you know that's something that always astonished me, the M14 Rifle was adopted in 1957-58 right, but it took literaly years to issue out, as of 1963 or so, the bulk of Army was still not issued it, the Reserve Components never really got them, and that's odd, I have the National Guardsmen magazines from the 50s, to include late 50s issues that gush over the word that the NG will "Soon Be Equipt with the new M14 Rifle" It was only in 1968 that the 157th Infantry Brigade (Separate) of the Army Reserve in Pennsylvania got them, possibly the other three Army Reserve Combat Infantry Brigades, not sure there. I wonder why all of this was, the Wiki says "Long Prodution delays" and the idea of adopting the AR-15 earlier on, which skewed things, sounds kinda like a blunder to me.

Re Rockwell: I once read that Rockwell blamed the inaccuracies (ijn the posted example and a few others) on what the War Dept public info people had provided him, and that famous one a .30 cal. water-cooled gunner in profile that he did was CORRECT because he told Washington that if they sent Wrong Props, he would not do any more.

Jumpin Jack

Thank you Jack, you know that's something that always astonished me, the M14 Rifle was adopted in 1957-58 right, but it took literaly years to issue out, as of 1963 or so, the bulk of Army was still not issued it, the Reserve Components never really got them, and that's odd, I have the National Guardsmen magazines from the 50s, to include late 50s issues that gush over the word that the NG will "Soon Be Equipt with the new M14 Rifle" It was only in 1968 that the 157th Infantry Brigade (Separate) of the Army Reserve in Pennsylvania got them, possibly the other three Army Reserve Combat Infantry Brigades, not sure there. I wonder why all of this was, the Wiki says "Long Prodution delays" and the idea of adopting the AR-15 earlier on, which skewed things, sounds kinda like a blunder to me.

Thought you might like to hear a bit of military nostalgia regarding the M-14 Rifle. In August 1963, at the completion of the National Matches, they issued the M-14 rifles to be tested under National Match conditions. When completed, they wanted feed back. The scores, compared to those of the M-1 Garand, went up significantly. The M-14 was two pounds lighter, and much easier to shoot off-hand (standing), which took a lot of the fun out of competitive shooting. When I went to the All Army Team, we were still shooting the M-1. Jack Angolia

In May 1970, the Ohio Natl Guard troops (who fired on demonstrating students) at Kent State U. were armed with M-1s.

In 1967, at Ft Riley ROTC camp, we were issued NEW M-14s (mostly TRW mfr) -- to qualify on, but NOT to carry around and get dirty. For ordinary use, we got Garands, many with replaced ("yellow" birch) or repaired stocks (too many horizontal butt-strokes).

In late 1968 at Ft Benning IOBC, a similar situation -- but M-14s (nearly all Springfield) were our ordinary rifle and "new" M-16s were for the range.

At Riley, a drill sgt told us that the "production delays" for the M-14s were tied up in Congressional pressure to involve makers, especially Thompson-Ramo-Woolridge in OH, less so for H&R in NY, allegedly because of payoffs to the pols. TRW had zero experience in guns, no "gun people" on the shop floor, and stumbled badly, serving to delay delivery badly. Don't know of such probs at H&R...

Back in those days as mentioned the NG never really had the "newer" M14, but in a book I have it would seem that at least one of more units the NG of the District of Columbia had them. It's seen that these DC NG troops at least trained with them for riot duty, circa 1967-68, and fired them at the range, Camp Pickett or AP Hill I suppose, perhaps because they where an important defense force for the Capital is the reason.

• 2 weeks later...