Photo's found by accident while searching on line.

patches

This next one, an action photo, taken in the early 60s, of a group of GIs, Infantry I presume, of the 7th Infantry Division, South Korea during what I gather is some kind of Amphibious training, it seems to me to be a mock up of a Landing craft and tranport ship side,note the net hanging down. They are all wearing M56 gear, but are for this date, typical of this period(1959-1962 ) carry the old familar weapons, they also have burlap camo covers on their pots, check out the little KATUSA, in the front.

During my assignment to the 3/32nd, 7th Infantry Division 1964-65, we underwent the largest amphib-ious training operation since WWII. Yes, burlap covers on the helmets was standard wear. To the best of my recollection, no mock ups were used, but rather the real thing. The operation took us across the Han-Imjin Rivers as a show of force to the North Korean forces observing from afar high ground. Jack

This next one, an action photo, taken in the early 60s, of a group of GIs, Infantry I presume, of the 7th Infantry Division, South Korea during what I gather is some kind of Amphibious training, it seems to me to be a mock up of a Landing craft and tranport ship side,note the net hanging down. They are all wearing M56 gear, but are for this date, typical of this period(1959-1962 ) carry the old familar weapons, they also have burlap camo covers on their pots, check out the little KATUSA, in the front.

Patches - where did you find the 161st Infantry photo? I have seen it before, but seem to have lost the bookmark.

Peter

I don't remember, see what I do is I save images, and sit on them for awhile, usually I bookmark site if it's one the a person or persons INFO is needed for post, generally not with random photo finds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wasn't in the Navy, but I don't think it's in the right spot to be launched.

Yep, it's gonna need a bridle cable to get off the deck!!!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A Marine armed with a M2 Carbine in Vietnam in 1967! Interesting use of this weapon in a line unit at this late date, we've seen the M2 Carbine carried by others, like PBR Crewman, some SF, Advisors, Helicopter Crewmen, USAF people, but this is a first for me, a line grunt with it, and for such a late date as 1967. There's that possibility that this is a VC captured weapon, but for now, we'll say he, as an RTO opted for this light weight weapon.

post-34986-0-01695800-1462944710.jpg

Linedoggie

A Marine armed with a M2 Carbine in Vietnam in 1967! Interesting use of this weapon in a line unit at this late date, we've seen the M2 Carbine carried by others, like PBR Crewman, some SF, Advisors, Helicopter Crewmen, USAF people, but this is a first for me, a line grunt with it, and for such a late date as 1967. There's that possibility that this is a VC captured weapon, but for now, we'll say he, as an RTO opted for this light weight weapon.

attachicon.gifMarine 1967 with Carbine.jpg

His magazine floorplate is upside down with the dimple facing out

That Marine sure looks miserable ... looks like he has been hanging out in the rain and mud for a while and ready for some place dry and safe.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

And speaking of Flat Hats, a old portrait of a Coast Guardsman so old it was when it was known as the Revenue Cutter Service.

post-34986-0-88834400-1464577360.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This one is of then 1st Sergeant Walter Sabulaski in Vietnam after Operation Hawthorne.

That looks like Gen. William Westmoreland on the left.

Ah I don't know where to put this Spanish American War Portrait (Is there a dedicated topic for SPAN War portraits? Did see one unless I missed it)

post-34986-0-68210400-1466910994.jpg

A Corporal, Unit unknown, not seeing numbers on cap badge or haversack.

• 1 month later...