Photo's found by accident while searching on line.

patches

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a Online foto find, but one scanned in one of my books, the Vol I 1965-1967 1st Infantry Division yearbook, just didn't know where to post it, so we'll post it here.

post-34986-0-00600700-1521341409_thumb.jpg

A GI of an unknown Infantry Battalion of the Big Red One sometime in late 1966-early 1967 with a severe face and head wound, looks like a eye wound thrown in for good measure. What incredible grit, was my first reaction in seeing the foto.

Culin was well known...

Sgt. Curtis G. Culin III

A member of New Jersey’s 102nd Cavalry Squadron, Sgt.. Culin developed the idea of taking the iron road obstacles placed by the retreating Germans, fabricating them into a ‘plow’ affixed to the front of a tank that then allows it to ‘cut’ its way through hedgerows in WWII. This allowed the tanks to break through in any unpredictable location, confounding the enemy’s traps. Known as “rhino tanks” more than 300 were equipped and help to speed up the Allied advance. Sergeant Culin was awarded the Legion of Merit Medal for his idea. [momument ]

• 1 month later...

A couple of GIs, one from the Korean era, a paratrooper circa 1952-53, no patch seen, so it could be 82nd, or the 11th, or the 508th RCT, and one from Vietnam 1971 unit unknown..

post-34986-0-96734700-1526099909_thumb.jpg

The Paratrooper Sergeant looks like an old timer, suspect he started out in the Triple Nickles in WWII.

post-34986-0-19080600-1526099887_thumb.jpg

Culin was well known...

Sgt. Curtis G. Culin III

A member of New Jerseys 102nd Cavalry Squadron, Sgt.. Culin developed the idea of taking the iron road obstacles placed by the retreating Germans, fabricating them into a plow affixed to the front of a tank that then allows it to cut its way through hedgerows in WWII. This allowed the tanks to break through in any unpredictable location, confounding the enemys traps. Known as rhino tanks more than 300 were equipped and help to speed up the Allied advance. Sergeant Culin was awarded the Legion of Merit Medal for his idea. [momument ]

Great to see his picture. I've read about him in several books but don't remember seeing a picture of him before. Nice to put a face to the name.

Mikie

• 3 weeks later...

post-34986-0-67222300-1527556909.jpgpost-34986-0-17281500-1527556880_thumb.jpg

Not U.S. I know but cool fotos I just found none the less, these are current French Soldiers in Horizon Blue at I think the 2014 Bastille Day parade, a commemorative affair as well for the outbreak of the Great War, though in this case the Troops should be attired in Dark Blue, and Red pants, 1914 gear etc etc. Seems at least a couple Europeans do this a lot, I know the Russian had huge formations years back parading in WWII uniforms and gear in Moscow, apart from very small units, like those Cav type units, we don't seem do do this, this huge outfitting of mass formations in complete vintage and accurate uniforms, helmets, gear and weapons.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Time to add some more.

Two photos of one of the 187th RCT Jumps in the Korean War, a little help if you know which jump it is, wsn't mentioned.

post-34986-0-34677600-1573096231_thumb.jpgpost-34986-0-78342300-1573096240_thumb.jpg

And this WWII one of Ted Williams sitting with Babe Ruth when Williams was a Aviation Cadet, don't know the circumstances of photo, like was The Bambino visiting the school as a sort of Good Will USO thing, or visiting just to see Williams???

post-34986-0-73332500-1573096477.jpg

The a/c (only the nose, prop and one wing visible) is some sort of a fighter... the airmen are wearing goggles, which seems to go with openable cockpit canopies which goes with some of that era fighters.

For the longest time, not sure exactly why, I kept wanting to see that image as a bomber crew

Very late to this question but if you are talking about the pilots in the image above the threads, they are Hellcat pilots in an image take on the USS Lexington, the second Lex, in late 43 after they shot down 17 of 20 Japanese Planes over Tarawa.

Very late to this question but if you are talking about the pilots in the image above the threads, they are Hellcat pilots in an image take on the USS Lexington, the second Lex, in late 43 after they shot down 17 of 20 Japanese Planes over Tarawa.

Gil, gwb123, solved that by noticing that the image is a collage, or composite, of pilot photos that had been used on war time posters. Once he figured that out, it became instantly apparent what the masthead image actually came from.

Could be that those are Hellcat pilots though.

• 3 months later...
aerialbridge

Had to search for this good thread by patches that is an excellent collecting place for many random, but interesting photos, as an alternative to starting a new thread for a single photo that will get buried while making clutter. Too bad it's not pinned. This photo talks, even without a caption.

“U.S. Marine is silhouetted against a sky lit by flares dropped from U.S. Air Force planes near Chu Lai in South Vietnam on Nov. 8, 1965. The Marine and his unit were moving across open ground during a night operation. U.S. forces are using flares to track down the Viet Cong forces which usually move under cover of darkness.”

post-18406-0-43815200-1583716019_thumb.png

Had to search for this good thread by patches that is an excellent collecting place for many random, but interesting photos, as an alternative to starting a new thread for a single photo that will get buried while making clutter. Too bad it's not pinned. This photo talks, even without a caption.

“U.S. Marine is silhouetted against a sky lit by flares dropped from U.S. Air Force planes near Chu Lai in South Vietnam on Nov. 8, 1965. The Marine and his unit were moving across open ground during a night operation. U.S. forces are using flares to track down the Viet Cong forces which usually move under cover of darkness.”

Good photo, and note how he's armed with a Carbine rather tham a M14 Rifle.

aerialbridge

Good eye. Patches, thanks for starting this great thread. It's a KO.

Boxing match, USS Oregon 1897

post-18406-0-06443800-1583719458_thumb.jpg

Good eye. Patches, thanks for starting this great thread. It's a KO.

Boxing match, USS Oregon 1897

Wow what a photo.

• 7 months later...

A recent photo find, a WWII GI stateside in one of the summer months, unit unknown, we see a shoulder patch, but it's indiscernible, year 43 or 44. Talk about your studio props LOL, His helmet liner looks like a toy, no front grommet do we see, and his U.S. Rifle is in fact a German M1888 Mauser. with Bayonet, Bayonet in Scabbard.cl0es.jpg.669cee5f37c006b38e99984cb0eb5b79.jpg

An assortment of the various bayonets that were compatible with the M1888 Mauser.

3878597713_9dd3f786aa_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

I found this photo while looking for other reference photos.  There was no caption but I think that it the Ludendorff bridge in the background.  It’s just a normal looking wartime photo of the AA half tracks guarding the bridge. But, notice the guy nonchalantly getting a hair cut.  I like seeing little bits of human normalcy in these photos. 

8EB72522-0577-485E-AE50-2F3B29461F1C.jpeg

Yes, it´s the Ludendorff bridge and the Remagen St. Apollinaris church at the upper right corner of the picture.

You have good eyes, Dennis!

I have been to that area-bridge it’s steeped in history and seeing pics like this are awesome.
Also stayed at the klobenz castle.
Good times.
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...