Photo's found by accident while searching on line.

patches

Found two.

post-34986-0-39667600-1485059385_thumb.jpg

First WWII, a Cpt McMahon carries a German girl across a destroyed Elbe River bridge at Tangemunde, McMahon is believed to be from the 102nd infantry Division OZARK. Incidentally, what's that on his belt? some kind of weird thing there, can make out what it is.

post-34986-0-80702700-1485059674_thumb.jpg

And an unknown GI, a Spec 4, of the 199th Infantry Brigade (Sep) during the Battle of Saigon TET, February 1968, he interestingly wears his first aid pouch attached to his helmet camo band, he's also wearing one of those field made ammo vest as well.

• 1 month later...

post-34986-0-14665500-1488515392.jpg

Here's one found by accident, something i never knew. Moshe Dayan in Vietnam, he visited there in 1966.

Foto redirect to this site that tells the whole story.

http://www.historynet.com/moshe-dayan-sounds-the-alarm-in-vietnam-3.htm

Moshe Dayan had such a presence, he actually looks like he's in charge in some of these photos rather than being an observer.

And one more, GIs of a unknown unit and year with the flag of the State of Iowa, I gather like you that these boys are from Iowa.

post-34986-0-73624800-1488515549.jpg

I'll give this a try in this thread...

Has anyone here come up with any kind(s) of ID for the photo of airmen which appears on the masthead of USMF here?

Awhile back a couple of us gave it a shot, and we discovered from one of the founders that it was a random image of some description - and a good one of course.

But, I myself searched and searched every which way I know how to see if I could locate either that exact image with some identifying information, or even other airmen similarly equipped. Came up empty, except for generalities.

Anything specific anyone knows of? Or, even a solid lead?

Garandomatic

Found two.

attachicon.gif102nd Div.jpg

First WWII, a Cpt McMahon carries a German girl across a destroyed Elbe River bridge at Tangemunde, McMahon is believed to be from the 102nd infantry Division OZARK. Incidentally, what's that on his belt? some kind of weird thing there, can make out what it is.

I believe that's a Broomhandle Mauser stuck in the belt immediately above an M3 Trench Knife in an M6 scabbard...

I believe that's a Broomhandle Mauser stuck in the belt immediately above an M3 Trench Knife in an M6 scabbard...

Yes, that could be it.

• 6 months later...

Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV) member WO2 Terence John Egan wearing an upside down garand cartridge belt. I can only assume it has 20 M16 round mags in it or its been modified.

post-117117-0-38069400-1506340543.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Found two.

attachicon.gif102nd Div.jpg

Looks like a broomhandle mauser stuck in his belt over a fighting knife.

Ray

Looks like a broomhandle mauser stuck in his belt over a fighting knife.

Ray

Right, Garandomattic made the same observance, certainly looks like that's what it is.

To add to Patches post #278 there are about six really nice film clips of the OZARK boys at the Tangermunde bridge. The Germans, both Military & civilian were desperate to cross the wrecked bridge to get to the American troops side as the Russians were closing-in on the town on the east bank of the Elbe.

This was for the GI's on the western bank a war souvenir hunters paradise! Hence in Patches photo of the Captain wearing the Broom handle Mauser he probably got it out of the weapons pile the German soldiers discarded after they crossed the bridge. I advise you folks to watch all the clips. Here is the first one.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675077889_American-soldiers_Tangermunde-bridge_soldiers-rest_wounded-women-with-bandages

Enjoy!

Mike

post-34986-0-84239500-1508897248_thumb.jpg

Found this photo of a U.S. Air Force Kaman HH-43 Huskie in combat, believe this is sometime in 1965, and those troop running around there are Marines, then a helicopter from the Da Nang Air Force Base.

I'll give this a try in this thread...

Has anyone here come up with any kind(s) of ID for the photo of airmen which appears on the masthead of USMF here?

Awhile back a couple of us gave it a shot, and we discovered from one of the founders that it was a random image of some description - and a good one of course.

But, I myself searched and searched every which way I know how to see if I could locate either that exact image with some identifying information, or even other airmen similarly equipped. Came up empty, except for generalities.

Anything specific anyone knows of? Or, even a solid lead?

I just happened to open this thread tonight. I have been staring at this very image hanging on my wall since last Christmas.

This image does not come from a photograph, but from an early Defense Bonds and Stamps booster poster.

My photo is of a reproduction metal nostalgia poster that my son gave me. I am thinking it is from the early and may even be pre-war because the aircraft look to be Seversky P-35's based on how the landing gear is tucked up under the belly.

I am wondering if the other images on our masthead are from similar posters.

Defense Bonds.jpg

It certainly does bear a resemblance, Gil...

Are you able to ID the a/c in our masthead photo?

I've kept on looking, every which way, no luck thus far. It has GOT to be out there somewhere...

I just happened to open this thread tonight. I have been staring at this very image hanging on my wall since last Christmas.

This image does not come from a photograph, but from an early Defense Bonds and Stamps booster poster.

My photo is of a reproduction metal nostalgia poster that my son gave me. I am thinking it is from the early and may even be pre-war because the aircraft look to be Seversky P-35's based on how the landing gear is tucked up under the belly.

I am wondering if the other images on our masthead are from similar posters.

I can't even pick out the aircraft in the masthead let alone identify them.

I am pretty sure this is the same image.

Heck sakes... if it is NOT the same image, rendered from photo to illustration, then I don't know what WOULD be!

By golly, I think you've nailed it! :D

I can't even pick out the aircraft in the masthead let alone identify them.

I am pretty sure this is the same image.

The a/c (only the nose, prop and one wing visible) is some sort of a fighter... the airmen are wearing goggles, which seems to go with openable cockpit canopies which goes with some of that era fighters.

For the longest time, not sure exactly why, I kept wanting to see that image as a bomber crew

Found this odd shot while researching the gear the 196th Infantry wore in Nam. Might be for a memorial of some sort, not sure, and I was trying to see if I could document many examples of the older "universal," I think they were called, pouches for the M-14, BAR, etc. so that my M56 rig could be used. I saw mostly the shorties, unfortunately, but I digress.

So, the picture is interesting in the first place, but the man with the M-16 in his left hand looks like he has a Garand belt as well. Both this and the Aussie look like there is something different about the pouches in terms of size. With this one, I think he might have the flaps removed, but I don't know.

It is from http://www.196th.org/guestbook/Guestbook2005/Guestbook2005archive.htm

post-9670-0-53531400-1508933060.jpg

• 1 month later...

A Found Twofer.

From WWII, with caption, (unit not listed unfortunately)

post-34986-0-23736300-1512854837_thumb.jpg

This group of soldiers who debarked from a transport drink from mugs of coffee and munch doughnuts on a troop train en route to their station in England, March 15, 1944. From left: Sgt. J.A. Michalski, Detroit, Michigan; Sgt. Roger E. Sebring, Scranton, PA.; Sgt. O.C. Parson, Cleveland, Ohio; Sgt. Jack Ehmke, Angola, New York; Sgt. P. Kreitszberg, New York; Sgt. Leonard Catton, Union City, New Jersey; and Sgt. Walter R. Van Liuit, Cleveland, Ohio.

Seeing that Ad for The Continental Insurance Companies reminded me of that Revolutionary War Soldier they used for their company, I remember this as a kid and loved to look at the placard in the window of one of their offices nearby where I went to school in the late 60s into the 70s. So I looked and found an up close image of it. I was also surprised that the use of a Revolutionary War Soldier for the company goes way way back before this 50s-60s depiction, as seen here in this undated vintage Ad for the company I also found.

post-34986-0-27745700-1512857197.jpgpost-34986-0-39266500-1512857178_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

A bunch to add tonight.

Back in 2010, The Massachusetts National Guard celebrates a birthday, yes it's 373d Birthday at Salem. A group of reenactors of a 17th Century Militia unit is present for the occasion, who's commander renders a salute to the current commanders of the Mass NG.

post-34986-0-65528400-1517032959_thumb.jpg