Photo's found by accident while searching on line.

patches

Captain Edward C. Fuller was killed in action in the Battle of Belleau Wood in France June 12, 1918 during World War I. And the son of General Ben Hebard Fuller USMC

According to his citation he died while fearlessly exposing himself in an artillery barrage in order to get his men into a safer position. He was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by the Army for his selfless sacrifice for his men.

Interesting, note how he is wearing the Enlistedmans Wool overcoat rather then the trench coat, the trench coat by far the commonest Officer's field fashion in both the British and British Commonwealth Army and later our own AEF.

IF I HAD A ROCKET LAUNCHER !

A 1961 photo taking I guess where ever it is that the Marine Corps tests new weapons sytems, Quantico ? shows a prototype Law, note the large circular site/range plexy apparature . The other photo at Fort Benning circa 1962 ? ( He still is carrying the M1 Garand, and does not wear a Leaf Pattern cover on his pot) shows a GI with a very early M72 Law.

post-34986-1339730779.jpg

post-34986-1339730797.jpg

Heres a Gem a Chaffee tank of the New Jersey 102nd Cavalry, uncertain when it was taken, it wont be late WWII as the man in the drivers hatch is wearing the M1947 HBT shirt so would it be Post War period, the Korean War Period, it certainly will be before 1954, as the men are not wearing the U.S.ARMY tapes sewn above their Fatique pockets.

post-34986-1339737312.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Major John H. Glenn, Jr. USMC, received the Distinguished Flying Cross 18 July 1957 from the Honorable Thomas S. Gates, Jr., Secretary of the Navy at a ceremony in the Secretary's office.

The award recognized Major Glenn's achievement of becoming on July 16, the first man to span the continent at a speed faster than that of sound when he piloted a Chance-Vought F8U-1 Crusader from Los Alamitos Naval Air Station near Los Angeles, California, to Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, New York, in the record time of 3 hours, 23 minutes and 8.1 seconds.

Then Major Glenn was a veteran pilot of both World War II and the Korean conflict. His previous awards include three Distinguished Flying Crosses and 17 Air Medals.

7048491159_6ec6dae968_b.jpg

post-342-1339731775.jpg

Marine on Iwo with new friend

There's a story in one of my Iwo books of a Marine taking his small Terrier mascot to Iwo Jima during the battle, he kept his dog in his lower pack. Wasn't discovered until he was hit three weeks into the battle and evacuated off the beach. His until took care of the dog and they were later reunited and his terrier was given a Asiatic ribbon for his service!

Leonardo

teufelhunde.ret

Remarkable photograph of then, 1stLt Clifton B. Cates, a future CMC (48-51). At the time of the photo, he was serving as Aide to MGen Lejeune and subequently to BGen George Barnett who took over as CG Dept of the Pacific after leaving the Office as CMC in Jan 1921.

5694241800_007e661188_o.jpg

Here's a real good one, if not a confusing one.

I quote from the artical that was with photo:

South Vietnam, July, 1967: Sgt. Maj. Paul B. Huff, left, a World War II Medal of Honor recipient, talks with Sgt. Maj. Walter T. Sabalauski during an operation by the 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Div., near Duc Pho.

Huff, 48, came from Fort Campbell, Ky, where he was Sergeant Major of the 101st, to take over the Top NCO job with the "Screaming Eagles" 1st Brigade. ( He was Sergeant Major of 1st Brigade 101st Airborne Division) He earned the Medal of Honor — the first paratrooper to do so — by singlehandedly wiping out three German machine-gun nests on the beachhead at Anzio, Italy, in 1944.

Sabalauski also proved himself as an outstanding warrior during his long military career, earning the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star, eight Bronze Stars and four Purple Hearts.

The date of this photo may be off a bit according to Sabalauski's Bio on wiki he only retured to Vietnam sometime in 1968 and was the Command Sergeant Major of the 2nd Battalion 502 Infantry, it does not state when he left Vietnam after his second tour ? He was first there as an Advisor in 1963 into 1964 ?, it was on this second tour as 1st Sergeant of C 2/502 Infantry that he was put in for the DSC and the SS for his actions during Operation Hawthorne, during the the action where Captain William Carpenter famously called down an Air Strike on his own postions to defeat the enemy that had overran his C company. It goes on to state after his second tour he was the Cadet Regimental Sergeant Major of the Corps of Cadets at the Military Academy at West Point, so I gather this was during the year 1967, does anybody have more clarification on the when and where of this, clearly the photo is in Vietnam with Sabulaski as a Sergeant Major, but the July 67 date is the kicker is this tthe correct date that was put as a caption for this photo ?

post-34986-1340343192.jpg

This one was taken in Birmingham Alabama on the occasion of the 167th Infantry's ( Old 4th Alabama) return back home after service in the World War.

post-34986-1340646137.jpg

This is a mean and fierce looking Navy patrol boat.

While that Patrol boat IS mean and fierce looking, the expression on (then) 1st Sergeant Walter Sabulaski is even MORE so, (post #87).

Does any one recognize who that is between 1SG Sabulaski and GEN Westmoreland, in that photo?

I find the photo above it, additionally interesting, as SGM Paul B. Huff is carrying a CAR 15 with a 20 round magazine.

It must have been Issued to him, prior to a more reliable 30 rounder was being made available, as the contract for these carbines indicated.

While that Patrol boat IS mean and fierce looking, the expression on (then) 1st Sergeant Walter Sabulaski is even MORE so, (post #87).

Does any one recognize who that is between 1SG Sabulaski and GEN Westmoreland, in that photo?

I find the photo above it, additionally interesting, as SGM Paul B. Huff is carrying a CAR 15 with a 20 round magazine.

It must have been Issued to him, prior to a more reliable 30 rounder was being made available, as the contract for these carbines indicated.

Yea that's the 1st Brigade 101st Airborne Division skipper Colonel James Timothy.

Yea that's the 1st Brigade 101st Airborne Division skipper Colonel James Timothy.

Thank you for the further info,

Don.

All,

I found the following pictures of my father in Burma during wwII with General Joseph Stilwell. My father was assigned as a bodyguard to Stilwell from January until August of 1944. Although, I have several other photos of him with Stilwell, I found the following photos, which I had never seen before, on the U.S. Army West Point website: http://forwhattheygaveonsaturdayafternoon....04/joe-stilwell. The photos are courtesy of John Easterbrook, whose father Colonel Easterbrook. was Stilwell's son-in-law.

My father assisting General Stilwell at Myitkyina Air Field in July of 1944.

Somewhere in the jungle in Northern Burma in March of 1944. My father is in the upper left with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

post-22-0-31935600-1400365494.jpg

post-22-0-39756600-1400365522.jpg

post-22-0-73757400-1400365539.jpg

Very enteresting and I might add priceless, these ones held by a family member usually are. thanks for posting them.

Oh isnt that CUTE :)

On the rear is written...Morrison & Brady (possibly Bradlga ?) 2/28/20 March Field Riverside, Calif

post-13070-1340732734.jpg

DutchInfid3l

You can just make out the what appears to be the short lived (1956-1963) USAF Parachutist badge on their caps, just over their rank. Some senior stars are noticeable on a few as well.
Donaldson AFB, SC 1961

post-22-0-40955200-1400365638.jpg

You can just make out the what appears to be the short lived (1956-1963) USAF Parachutist badge on their caps, just over their rank. Some senior stars are noticeable on a few as well.
Donaldson AFB, SC 1961

I seen you posted this in the Uniforms forum in the topic of what appears to be a Parachute qualified Combat Controller Major as well. Question, on this photo, are these men Combat Controllers or Air Rescue guys ? excelent photo by the way.

DutchInfid3l
I seen you posted this in the Uniforms forum in the topic of what appears to be a Parachute qualified Combat Controller Major as well. Question, on this photo, are these men Combat Controllers or Air Rescue guys ? excelent photo by the way.

Combat Controllers. Here's the website

Very enteresting and I might add priceless, these ones held by a family member usually are. thanks for posting them.

patches,

Thanks for your interest and the nice comment. It was exciting finding a couple of pictures that I had never seen before. My search over the years has taken me to the National Archives on a couple of different occasions and the old Bettman Archives where I found some original photos to supplement the newspaper clippings and photos my family kept during WWII.