Photo's found by accident while searching on line.

patches

Great photo. I wonder what Mr Charles would have thought if he would have see this Canadian flag :lol: perhaps giving the impression Canada was now in the war and entered the war surreptitiously. :w00t:

In the US Army, flying a Canadian flag, holding British nationality but born in Africa?! Now that's what I call a colourful character! :lol:

In the US Army, flying a Canadian flag, holding British nationality but born in Africa?! Now that's what I call a colourful character! :lol:

Ian I'm suprised :w00t: A Marine he was.

Here is another well known colourful charactor of the Vietnam war, he was killed on 911 at the Twin Towers, my cousin Patrica worked with this company in Manhattan in the 80s and early 90s till she was tranfered to the Charlotte North Carolina branch and thus knew him personaly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rescorla

post-34986-1338402005.jpg

My bad Patches...shoulda paid more attention to the small print! :blushing: Rescorla was an equally colourful character too! British-born...but not British surname. :think:

DutchInfid3l
for those not from NY, it is still present in the park to this day, the towers in the back as well.

I recognize it from the "Men in Black" movie... :D

DutchInfid3l

Eglin AFB Photographer, 1950s

Strategic Air Command movie premier, the white helmets and Sam Browne belts the Air Police Airmen are wearing.

Air Police Motorcycles

Different view AP Motorcycles

post-22-0-53814300-1400365235.jpg

post-22-0-54785100-1400365237.jpg

post-22-0-47809700-1400365240.jpg

post-22-0-56637300-1400365242.jpg

Well hush my mouth!! :pinch: I've lived in the UK for my whole life and I've never heard that surname before! That said, the Cornish have an ancient language not dissimilar to Welsh in its roots, so the name must derive from that. I learn something every day on this here forum!! :w00t:

QUESTION: How did Rescorla get a COMMISSION ? As far as I know/knew all officers had to be CITIZENs of the U.S..

It was NOT unusual to have non-citizens serving in the ranks. The Stanley Cup playoffs were an excuse for DOZENs of serving Candians (in US uniform -- Army, Marine, AF and Navy Seabees) to crawl out of the woodwork and have a BBQ party (with LaBatt beer, from whoknowswhere) on our compound in Quang Tri.

The Aussie advisors there included two Brits (officers), one born in Eire, graduated from Sandhurst and a vet of the Rhodesian army. the other an ethnic Pole from Scotland who was a college OTC grad who had moved to Australia, taken a commission in the reserves, then gone active specifically to go to VN. His father was a WWII Cdo in No.10 Cdo, his mother a Scottish nurse who had patched dad up.

QUESTION: How did Rescorla get a COMMISSION ? As far as I know/knew all officers had to be CITIZENs of the U.S..

It was NOT unusual to have non-citizens serving in the ranks. The Stanley Cup playoffs were an excuse for DOZENs of serving Candians (in US uniform -- Army, Marine, AF and Navy Seabees) to crawl out of the woodwork and have a BBQ party (with LaBatt beer, from whoknowswhere) on our compound in Quang Tri.

The Aussie advisors there included two Brits (officers), one born in Eire, graduated from Sandhurst and a vet of the Rhodesian army. the other an ethnic Pole from Scotland who was a college OTC grad who had moved to Australia, taken a commission in the reserves, then gone active specifically to go to VN. His father was a WWII Cdo in No.10 Cdo, his mother a Scottish nurse who had patched dad up.

Try as I might, I can not tell, other than it is a fact that he was a Graduate of the Fort Benning Infantry officers OCS, heck he is even a member of the OCS Infantry Hall of Fame, and served all those years as a U.S.Army officer. Also nowhere in the various bio's on Rescorla do I see him attending Universities or Colleges prior to him immigrating to America, I can thus only gather that his prior military experiance albeit in a allied but never the less Foreign military/para military alone secured him a commision as out of the ordinary it might seem, he indeed was not a citzen at the time of his enlistment and became one in 1967 while still in the Regulars, this was also when he apparently began his higher education. Also perhaps the citizen clause was not as rigidly inforced in the early 60s ?

Found this one, not really by accident, was looking for pictures of the 1st Infantry Division monument in Normandy, close to the cemetary, this one caught my eye, thought I'd add it as it fits into this special day 68 years ago. :salute:

(DEAD LINK) Edited 10/25/17 dwiv

"On that momentous morning,
As daylight, came so soon,
To the men of the allied nations,
Twas D-Day, sixth of June.
It was the greatest spectacle,
To be staged on land and sea,
And will always be remembered,
The invasion of Normandy."

Hes one, I love the 1st Cav Div Officers. check out the officer on the right, notice he appears to be wearing OD breeches with his IKE ? I spy what appear to be the billowing Characteristics of breeches at the side of his thigh

THE TEXT for the below photograph.

Jean Marie MacArthur, wife of General Douglas MacArthur, christens the USS Gary Owen, a Red Cross canteen ship, in Tokyo Bay on 18 December 1945. The official ARC caption reads "Mrs. Douglas MacArthur christens the USS Gary Owens, a Red Cross canteen ship for troops of the 7th Cavalry Division. Formerly the Meiji Maru, a 70-year-old 225-foot Japanese sailing ship, the Gary Owen rests on concrete cradles in the Sumida River, Tokyo. It has a day room with dance floor big enough to accommodate 100 dancers, a card room, a library, and writing desks. With Mrs. MacArthur, Maj. Gen. William C. Chase.

Ive got a bunch of General Chase in Japan,wearing boots and breeches and aslo a couple of him mounted

This, a photo of the familiar faces of old, Marlena Dietrich, Bob Hope, and Betty Davis looking at photos Hollywood's elite that are in uniform during WWII.

post-34986-1339476456.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Diary Page Showing Air Mail Method Used in Nicaragua, 27 September 1928. This page is from a diary kept by Thurman Morris, who served with the 5th Marine Regiment in Nicaragua during the 1920s. The diagram shows the method that Marines used in Nicaragua to send messages by air mail.

According to the diagram and notes kept by Thurman, the message was tied to a line that was attached to two poles, held by Marines. The plane would fly very low to the ground and just before he got to the line, he would drop his own line with a hook and catch it.

6731210443_dea727405c_b.jpg

1950's invasion of Iwo Jima! Very surreal picture...

Thats the Lightweight M74 Gun mount on those M1917A1's, also used with M18 and M20 Recoiless Rifles

teufelhunde.ret

Captain Edward C. Fuller was killed in action in the Battle of Belleau Wood in France June 12, 1918 during World War I. And the son of General Ben Hebard Fuller USMC

According to his citation he died while fearlessly exposing himself in an artillery barrage in order to get his men into a safer position. He was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by the Army for his selfless sacrifice for his men.

5958330402_696b60e35c_b.jpg