Photo's found by accident while searching on line.

patches

Yea these are more stuff, like Short timer Sticks. But that went out right before I went in, or as early as 1972 or so.

Thanks D.A.T, while I personally never fell in with the Short Timer thing when I was getting out in December 82, I do remember Short Timer ephermera, like those calenders and the like, I seen these first at Hood in 1980.

Obviously not a US picture, but still found when least expected, while looking at a site of 'demotivational posters'.

post-44370-1337281476.jpg

Thanks D.A.T, while I personally never fell in with the Short Timer thing when I was getting out in December 82, I do remember Short Timer ephermera, like those calenders and the like, I seen these first at Hood in 1980.

@Patches, hope you don't mind, thought I'd throw in a picture of a Short Timer clip, a "curtain hanger hook" we'd wear on our fatigues, never got hassled for it. And you had to have a measuring tape, cut down to the number 99, and then every morning, cut a number off, "Three days and a wake up"! And of couse, F.T.A. or "Frankfurt to America". I've posted this only because it is an era gone by, but not forgotten. ;)

(DEAD LINK) Edited 10/25/17 dwiv

Obviously not a US picture, but still found when least expected, while looking at a site of 'demotivational posters'.

You're right, not a US picture, but Adolf Hitler was definately an "accident"! :lol:

Getting back on subject, here's one I found, but it looks like a scene from a movie, if so they're good actors, I like the looks on thier faces looking down at the crates of Spam. :lol:

Glenn_Janssens
Looks like a scene from Battleground?

Erwin

I think so too.

They used real ww2 Vets in that movie if memory serves me right.

Fellas were have you been :w00t: this is indeed a still from battleground, the man on the left in the EM raincoat is Actor John Hodiak. if you go to Hollywood Helmets in the helmet Forum you will see quite a few cool stillls from this movie.

From a site on him. he died quite young of a Heart Attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hodiak

The late John Hodiak.

post-34986-1337442810.jpg

Fellas were have you been :w00t: this is indeed a still from battleground, the man on the left in the EM raincoat is Actor John Hodiak. if you go to Hollywood Helmets in the helmet Forum you will see quite a few cool stillls from this movie.

From a site on him. he died quite young of a Heart Attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hodiak

The late John Hodiak.

I've been living in Germany the last 30 years! But still no excuse for not seeing the film, be the next on my "things to do" list. :thumbsup:

I found a website by accident, with alot of photos in it, does that count too? I searched his name here in the Forum, Joseph Byank, and nothing turned up, so I hope it's a first, if I'm repeating somebody else's posting, sorry.

http://www.duryeapa.com/PADuryea1940sByank...hotographer.htm

I accidently found this one the other day. It is an early picture of PT-109 in Norfolk Va. ready for shipment to the war. I thought this was a cool picture.

Chris

post-10825-1337546396.jpg

Here's one with a Indiana Jones look to it.

A U.S. soldier stands in the middle of rubble in the Monument of the Battle of the Nations in Leipzig after they attacked the city on April 18, 1945. The huge monument commemorating the defeat of Napoleon in 1813 was one of the last strongholds in the city to surrender. One hundred and fifty SS fanatics with ammunition and foodstuffs stored in the structure to last three months dug themselves in and were determined to hold out as long as their supplies. American First Army artillery eventually blasted the SS troops into surrender.

Hes one, I love the 1st Cav Div Officers. check out the officer on the right, notice he appears to be wearing OD breeches with his IKE ? I spy what appear to be the billowing Characteristics of breeches at the side of his thigh

THE TEXT for the below photograph.

Jean Marie MacArthur, wife of General Douglas MacArthur, christens the USS Gary Owen, a Red Cross canteen ship, in Tokyo Bay on 18 December 1945. The official ARC caption reads "Mrs. Douglas MacArthur christens the USS Gary Owens, a Red Cross canteen ship for troops of the 7th Cavalry Division. Formerly the Meiji Maru, a 70-year-old 225-foot Japanese sailing ship, the Gary Owen rests on concrete cradles in the Sumida River, Tokyo. It has a day room with dance floor big enough to accommodate 100 dancers, a card room, a library, and writing desks. With Mrs. MacArthur, Maj. Gen. William C. Chase.

post-34986-1337621266.jpg

Two excellent Color photos of a Sherman tank Crew at Fort Knox Kentucky circa 1943, I,ve seen the one were the men have on the Helmets, but this was in B/W, leading me to believe that it was in fact a B/W photo, but as we see here they were color, the other one I seen here for the first time

post-34986-1337654033.jpg

post-34986-1337654047.jpg

Here's one with a Indiana Jones look to it.

A U.S. soldier stands in the middle of rubble in the Monument of the Battle of the Nations in Leipzig after they attacked the city on April 18, 1945. The huge monument commemorating the defeat of Napoleon in 1813 was one of the last strongholds in the city to surrender. One hundred and fifty SS fanatics with ammunition and foodstuffs stored in the structure to last three months dug themselves in and were determined to hold out as long as their supplies. American First Army artillery eventually blasted the SS troops into surrender.

A fantasic photograph, thanks fo adding it, the interiour though a work of high art is quite eerie, here more on the monument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_t..._of_the_Nations

Came across this one looking for something else, thought it'd fit in for this coming Memorial Day. :salute:

Here's a interesting one, heck all the pics I'll put up I hope will be interesting :D This one is of a male and female Coast Guardsmen in their Dress Blues taken by the Unisphere at the 1964 worlds fair in Flushing Meadows, Queens, New York, see photo of the unisphere, it is much bigger in person, for those not from NY, it is still present in the park to this day, the towers in the back as well.

post-34986-1338092811.jpg

post-34986-1338092828.jpg

I remember going to the fair a couple times that year. They had an X-15 on display as well as the new Ford Mustang and the Chrysler Turbine car. I also was taken to Shea Stadium later and remember while walking up the outer wall to our seats, I could turn around and see the fair in the distance.

Here's one, US Serviceman have alway been known for "Souvenir hunting", this photo says "GIs with a marble trophy from Anzio", they look like Navy or Coast Guard to me, and looks like thier ship is parked right downtown.:think: