Photo's found by accident while searching on line.

patches

If figure maybe this would be an interesting way to post those photos that I at least tend to find when searching for something completely differant, and I wind up finding interesting photos essentially by accident, if this happens to you, do post them here, here for others to view, comment and scrutinize. The first one is one I found, of a Vietnam Artillery KIA, I seen him when I was loking to copy those Arty guys that have the CIB, for my topic ovcer in the Q-badges forum, as you can see it is a man wearing a Brassard with the 35th infantry pocket patch on it that say Photographer. any idea on the brassard ?

post-34986-1332649841.jpg

This next one, an action photo, taken in the early 60s, of a group of GIs, Infantry I presume, of the 7th Infantry Division, South Korea during what I gather is some kind of Amphibious training, it seems to me to be a mock up of a Landing craft and tranport ship side,note the net hanging down. They are all wearing M56 gear, but are for this date, typical of this period(1959-1962 ) carry the old familar weapons, they also have burlap camo covers on their pots, check out the little KATUSA, in the front.

post-34986-1332650556.jpg

Nice M2 D-bail taboot!!?.....mike :thumbsup:

Good eye Sarge, I hadn't noticed that, maybe the Staff sergeant was from the first group of men from Fort Harrison that under took Jump training, and retained the M2 shell.

This next one, an action photo, taken in the early 60s, of a group of GIs, Infantry I presume, of the 7th Infantry Division, South Korea during what I gather is some kind of Amphibious training, it seems to me to be a mock up of a Landing craft and tranport ship side,note the net hanging down. They are all wearing M56 gear, but are for this date, typical of this period(1959-1962 ) carry the old familar weapons, they also have burlap camo covers on their pots, check out the little KATUSA, in the front.

Hey Patches...are you sure they aren't coming over the side of an old galleon?! :lol:

Hey Patches...are you sure they aren't coming over the side of an old galleon?! :lol:

Me thinks it might be one of those old Korean Barges of War, left over from our 1871 War with the Hermit Kingdom. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Find this one interesting a photo of what I think is the oringinal Armed Forces recruiting office in Times Square Manhattan, taken in 1943, I think it started out as a WAAC recruitment oofiice and after the war, it became a permanente location.

post-34986-1334458378.jpg

And today 2012, the one in 1943 appears to be nothing more then an odd looking booth, I would sure love to see the various structures that were located here down through the years

post-34986-1334458645.jpg

Gone but not forgotten;

Here is a picture of Navy SEAL Curtis Ashton, KIA Viet Nam. Bio found online.

"Curtis was a West Texas guy. He was born in Rotan, Texas. He lived his early life there and in Colorado City, Texas. He attended Colorado City schools. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy within months after high school from Sweetwater, Texas. He was trained in electronics, but then applied for and was accepted as a Navy Seal. He did 2 tours in Vietnam, the first in 1967-68 with Seal Team 7 and then he returned in 1969 with Seal Team 2 and was killed on a mission on December 27, 1969. According to his Seal Team buddies, he would go any where at any time and perform any job. He is reported to have completed some 150 Seal missions before his death. He was also reported to be deadly with the Stoner Machine gun. He was awarded the Navy Distinguished Service Medal, along with many awards for valor".

post-10825-1334621971.jpg

Gone but not forgotten;

Here is a picture of Navy SEAL Curtis Ashton, KIA Viet Nam. Bio found online.

"Curtis was a West Texas guy. He was born in Rotan, Texas. He lived his early life there and in Colorado City, Texas. He attended Colorado City schools. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy within months after high school from Sweetwater, Texas. He was trained in electronics, but then applied for and was accepted as a Navy Seal. He did 2 tours in Vietnam, the first in 1967-68 with Seal Team 7 and then he returned in 1969 with Seal Team 2 and was killed on a mission on December 27, 1969. According to his Seal Team buddies, he would go any where at any time and perform any job. He is reported to have completed some 150 Seal missions before his death. He was also reported to be deadly with the Stoner Machine gun. He was awarded the Navy Distinguished Service Medal, along with many awards for valor".

post-10825-1334621971.jpg

Thank you adding this hink. a gallant Texan :salute:

bunkerhillburning

A nod to Animal House, but the results was a wry smile on my part. Was trying to do some research on the Japanese failure to attack Peark Harbor adequately. Subject always fascinated me.

bunkerhillburning

- and I should say, as a rank amateur photo restoration noob, that Pearl harbor photo is really well done.

Here on this I dont know what this color uniform is supposed to be, but I like the the studio portrait of the 3 soldiers, early 1900s as we see. The FRONT lace up leggings worn by twqo of them are unique, I dont think I,ve seen this type before

post-34986-1334897531.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Spanish American War. Must be one of the National Guard units, by virtue of the trapdoor Springfields stacked around the area, maybe the 71st NY Inf, I found this picture by accident while looking for photos of those New York City WWI monuments that I have been posting of late, this leads to believe that the Troops might be from this New York regiment.

post-34986-1335757848.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Delta Division Engineers, as the men do not have either the name tape or the Gold on Black U.S.ARMY tape I will date this in the early 1950s around 51-53

post-34986-1336494968.jpg

Here one a informal portrait of a GI of the 6th Armored Division taking in France, the interesting thing about this is he appears to be wearing some kind of Jewlery on his tanker jacket, do you think it might be his Wifes ? you thoughts please, also the use Hawley liner is noteworthy.

post-34986-1336793935.jpg

SHORT TIMER, according to this photos info, one that was taken in West Germany in 1969 by one Spec 5 Mack Thomas.

Here the info.

Sp5 Mack Thomas' classic photo for Spearhead Newspaper in 1969 depicts what actually happens to a soldier who has only a short time left before returning to civilian life. Unfortunately, the newspaper's top brass denied the photo's publication, so here it is for the first time.

The Spearhead Newspaper is the newspaper of the 3rd Armored Division (SPEARHEAD)

post-34986-1337225671.jpg

Short Timer brings back some good memories, thanks! I remember a tree outside my window (barracks) and it was a a Short Timer tradition to throw a pair of boots on a tree limb, which I did back in 1975. When you reached the 99 days left in service, you were a "Two didget midget", and we'd say, "I'm so short, a snake could pee on my head", or "I'm shorter then an alligator's milking stool" or "I'm so short, I gotta look up to look down" etc.
Here's a Short Timer's crest for sale on eBay.

I find some of my best photos by accident. ;)

(DEAD LINK) Edited 10/25/17 dwiv