New Apache helmet

hawkdriver

Sorry, but looks like you guys are going to get a HGU-56 whether you want one or not. At least it's now in Multi-Cam color and not that nasty foilage green.

vhaxe1.jpg

2yopbuf.jpg

2eowbhv.jpg

Thats a pretty interesting setup, especially the HDU thing. Looks like they went to the USCG style quick release ANVIS bracket mount. Whats the black helmet? That new Modular Aircrew Common Helmet "MACH" ?

Personally, I think the end of helmet-swapping will reduce crew cohesion and morale...

Sorry, but this is the new Army and you can't talk like that anymore!

Cobrahistorian

No more Frankenstein visors! Woo hoo!!! The IHADSS setup is going to be completely different in the Block III Longbow, and won't use the current tracker system that's been standard since the prototype. Makes things much easier and no more $27,000 helmets!

Jon

So are the units that get the block III automatically going to get fielded with the new helmets and turn in the IHADDS? Does the HDU still stay with the aircraft?

Very interesting. Thanks for the pics.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
So are the units that get the block III automatically going to get fielded with the new helmets and turn in the IHADDS? Does the HDU still stay with the aircraft?

Very interesting. Thanks for the pics.

Mike

My guess would be the new HDU (i-HDU :) ) would likely stay with the aircraft like the present one. Providing an HDU to each crewmember might be more expensive than the $27K helmet. Of course, using that logic that's exactly how it will go!

Yeah that's a good point. When I told people that as the ALSE tech for our deployment that I was responsible for over $1.6 million in flight helmets, they couldn't believe that one battalion could have that much money invested in helmets alone. As much as those things broke too, we went through a lot of money on harnesses!

Mike

Yeah that's a good point. When I told people that as the ALSE tech for our deployment that I was responsible for over $1.6 million in flight helmets, they couldn't believe that one battalion could have that much money invested in helmets alone. As much as those things broke too, we went through a lot of money on harnesses!

Mike

The helmets must be getting old/brittle. I got mine brand new and had near-zero issues with it for a decade. I think a spring broke on the visor retract once and some fine-tuning on the HDU cut-out on my clear visor.

Cobrahistorian

Mine bounced off the FAB once... no damage other than a crack in the visor housing. My ALSE NCO let me take the visor housing home when I got out. It's hanging on the wall in my museum room.

J

The biggest issue was the IR harness. At $8000 a piece everytime they stopped tracking, the taxpayers got it stuck to them every time. They had their share of damage too but since I am an aircraft mechanic I frequently did a lot of fiberglass repairs to fix any cracks or dents. The eyelid shields came off once and awhile which got replaced.

We had one pilot who had his helmet soaked and stepped on during our infamous tornado during train-up at Ft. Hood and he never let me know. I didn't find out until his inspections came due and I got this cracked, voided helmet. It's amazing how abused they got. I just did everything I could to keep them going.

Mike

I was browsing the Army PEOSoldier photos they post in an online gallery. Came across this Apache helmet that I had never seen before until a few days ago. They designated it the AAIH (Apache Aircrew Integrated Helmet). Wish they had a pic showing the rear of the helmet to see the sensor system it used. The HDU rail looks like the one they had proposed in the original manuals for the 56/P helmet. I wonder what became of this AAIH idea seeing the one Hawk posted is completely different and better looking in my opinion. The following pics are from Army PEO Soldier as they posted and not mine:

AAIH.jpg

AAIH2.jpg

That is the thing about Gentex, they will produce all kinds of prototype helmets that never go past a few photos. I posted pictures here before of a two part helmet that you put they type of top on that you needed. Slick for most everyone else and IR harness for Apache's. It has fallen by the wayside.

• 1 month later...
Cobrahistorian
So what happens to all the old versions of the Apache Pilot Helmet?

They pull the harnesses and send em to DRMO!

So if you knew of one for sale, complete with the IR harness and microphone and earphone, what would it be worth? and would it be legal to buy or sell? There is very little information about these helmets on the internet. It must truly be the most rare or all the helicopter helmets.

So if you knew of one for sale, complete with the IR harness and microphone and earphone, what would it be worth? and would it be legal to buy or sell? There is very little information about these helmets on the internet. It must truly be the most rare or all the helicopter helmets.

If you find one with everything, I can guarantee you it is stolen property. Wear an oven mitt when you handle it.

Cobrahistorian

With everything intact, you're talking a $27,000 helmet. If it were complete, I concur with my two esteemed colleagues from the other side of the house: it's stolen.

With everything intact, you're talking a $27,000 helmet. If it were complete, I concur with my two esteemed colleagues from the other side of the house: it's stolen.

I was told it had the microphone, ear phones and another cord that appeared to go to some of the lights on the side of the helmet. No eyepiece or optics or any of that. I am not interested in anything that might be stolen, that's why I asked, suspicious myself, but I do know that these things may have left the army in any various legal ways, including being assembled from assorted demilled parts. If they do sell on eBay I would assume CID watches that also and would end an auction of govt property.

• 7 months later...

I carried mine with me from the course to Cav Sqd to a Bde assignment to desert/shield / desert storm then to a corps assignment and back to Bragg for retirement. When I tried to turn it at Bn ALSE I was told they could not take it as it was not on there books and to turn it in at post CIF. They told me they could not accept it and keep it as a reminder of my service.

I was asking on a site if it is worth anything to collector. Do not really need to sell it. But it is just sitting in the attic the ear cups have decayed so thought someone might want it.

If it is illegal to sell Guess I will just keep it. It does bring back memories.

Do you know where I can find out if it is or is not legal to sell?

When I was working ALSE for the deployment a few years ago, the IR harness alone was $7000 and the complete helmet was on average about $19K depending on size. We had numerous helmets that were not on the books and I'm sure this might be a common occurance. I have known a lot of pilots that had their own "personal" helmet because of going from Rucker to their unit and this way, and that way. The next thing you know, the exact situation that Joe mentioned has happened.

Mike