A Marine Stripe Mystery

Dirk

Well here is one that has me wondering....taken some time around 1930, long after the seam-to-seam's have been phased out, a marine on furlough poses toward the end of his tour....per his records, he went no higher than PFC, so I guess we are left with a "one of a kind....only found in advanced collections oddity" for your enjoyment. Gary....J.....maybe his Tientsin tailor got his order mixed up with the British unit in the next foreign concession over?

marine_141.jpg

Well here is one that has me wondering....taken some time around 1930, long after the seam-to-seam's have been phased out, a marine on furlough poses toward the end of his tour....per his records, he went no higher than PFC, so I guess we are left with a "one of a kind....only found in advanced collections oddity" for your enjoyment. Gary....J.....maybe his Tientsin tailor got his order mixed up with the British unit in the next foreign concession?

Dirk -

As long as I'm just guessing, I'd say it was most likely one of two things. Either a posed photo with a Brit buddies blouse or maybe a barroom brawl souvenir? Definately not a Marine blouse! I think just one of those photos that should have been captioned, dangblammit! Great shot!!

EDIT NOTE: Dirk - A thought occurred to me, which can be dangerous! think.gif By chance, do you know where this Marine was from? Possibly Canada? If he's home on furlough, maybe a brother's Canadian Army uniform or along those lines? I have a photo of my dad's younger brother wearing his older brother's USN PO 2nd jumper and he never made it past S1CL, so maybe something like that?

Gary

Well he was in Tientsin and Shanghai, so it is possible he picked one up from the brits....sadly it is glued in so who knows if it said anything on the back.....until the glue rots off lets just enjoy the oddity of the thing. Happy New Year to you....

Gary....he was an NC farm boy from birth.....the more I look at the image the more I agree not a marine blouse....just too many buttons, to high up.....must be something he picked up in China. BTW his record was clean in China...no bad boy behavior, although looks like he had a nice lady friend in Shanghai, but not one to go into the Blood Alley bars or cruise Ave Foch.

Well here is one that has me wondering....taken some time around 1930, long after the seam-to-seam's have been phased out, a marine on furlough poses toward the end of his tour....per his records, he went no higher than PFC, so I guess we are left with a "one of a kind....only found in advanced collections oddity" for your enjoyment. Gary....J.....maybe his Tientsin tailor got his order mixed up with the British unit in the next foreign concession over?

Dirk......Sure is an interesting pic. I offer 2 possible opinions. 1 - This is your guy wearing a Royal Marine Sgts tunic as a gag! Or 2 - it's an RM Sgt wearing your guy's cover as a gag! Take your pic(k)! No pun intended!

Semper Fi....Bobgee