Combat Serviceable Tag

jgawne

Not wanting to hijack another thread on repairs, this came up and I am curious if any has ever seen any specific period documentation on how that little white tag was used.

Everyone I have ever seen has the stamp of a stateside base on it, or is left blank. Never seen nor heard of a not int he USA marked on it.

Logically I am not really sure why an overseas depot would need this tag- they would either be sorting tigns into two groups: useable as is, or not.

As is would go dircetly bck into the QMC pipeline - not usable would be sent to a specialty unit which would decide if it was repairable or not, and then either repair or scrap it. Repaired items again go right back into the supply chain. No reason to mark it as combat servicable as that was justtaken for granted if it went back into service. To say nothing of having to use up materials and shipping space for tags and staples (small yes, but it all adds up).

So I guess my question is- anyone have any proof these tags were used out of the USA, and if so why?

jon, One thing I learned is that the Army takes nothing for granted and as any experienced collector/researcher knows logic plays a small role sometimes.

When it comes to repairs,updates,inspections,modifications etc. they are often followed under guideline's from some form of technical letter,order, manual etc.. when items fall under a mandatory inspection cycle they are often required to be marked inspected same with certain upgrades they are marked insome way to signify they have been upgraded same with the case of Moisture fungus Proofing, items are always stamped MFP so would the operators of this equipment assume this has been done if it was not stamped?! so when an item goes through the system for inspection and someone decides if somehting could be repaired they are following regulation,protocol and all items under said description must be marked or tagged "combat servicable" it was done wether stateside or over seas.This is just my opinion on the WHY! I have no proof of them being used overseas

craig_pickrall

For anyone not familiar with the tag being discussed here is an example.

post-5-1199305716.jpg

post-5-1199305724.jpg

lebelmilitaria

very good point, have never honestly even thought about it before, ive seen hundreds of CS tags on uniform and equipment items but never one marked outside of the USA, all have either been blank or stamped w/ US Camps.

According to AR 615-40 dated 1 February 1945

"Class CS (combat servicable) will include property which has been used but which is of such appearance and which possesses such servicability as to justify issue to troops moving overseas and shipment to overseas theaters for issue."

I was not able to find any reference to classification of equipment as Class CS in theater. Only the classification as equipment as Class X. Maybe the CS classification was only used stateside for equipment being shipped overseas. Just a guess

On a side note leather footwear, with the exception of the boots, blucher, high-top and boots, ski, mountain were not to be classified as Class CS.