Army Nursing Corps (ANC)

US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum

The three basic types of ANC Uniforms.

The early Blue uniform (1940-1942), the summer Beige uniform (1941-?), and the ubiquitous OD 7 uniform (7/43 -?).

The Blue uniform was worn with a black tie, a white dickey, and black oxford shoes. The overseas hat and uniform are

piped in maroon. I have a few; some uniforms, like the one photo'd, have an integral belt. These uniforms are

primarily winter weight wool; however, I do have one that was composed from rayon and is very light weight.

The ones in my collection are either unpatched, or bear Army Service Forces patches. None show any indication of

overseas service.

The Summer weight beige uniform (revised pattern 1943) was worn with a maroon tie (which didn't photograph well)

and is also piped maroon. The one shown was worn by a nurse assigned to the Army Air Forces.

The Olive Drab uniform became standard in 1943; however, both the blue and beige uniforms could be worn in the

continental US as a dress uniform after the changeover in July '43. Most of my OD uniforms bear overseas patches.

The one shown bears the Persian Gulf Command patch. She served with an ANC group in Iran.

post-1529-1199252314.jpg

US Victory Museum

Please forgive me, but I don't have a photo scanner, so I

photographed a US Signal Corp (original) picture that I have

that shows Her Imperial Majesty Fawzieh Pahlavi Empress of Iran

greeting a US ANC unit (Teheran, Iran 1944)

post-1529-1199252773.jpg

Cool photo you have there! thumbsup.gif I have the Life magazine that features her on the cover. It's hard to believe that she ran Iran, she looks more like some one from the western civilization.

- Jeff

• 4 years later...

great uniforms, I especially like the early blue one. I have one of those jackets and maroon ties and always wondered what the skirt looked like. Thanks for posting it