B-17E 41-9210 and B-17F 42-29782

KEF

B-17E 41-9210 and B-17F 42-29782 where are they & why aren't they

I’m no expert but a B-17 enthusiast. I have some of the last photos and some info from a few docents of The Flying Heritage Collection (Paul Allen) owned B-17E 41-9210. I live in the area Marysville/Arlington 34 miles N. Of Seattle and had followed its acquisition by Paul Allen (became FHC) back in 1999. I snapped a few famous last know photos of 41-9210 right after it was flown in after it restoration by World Jet Inc, Fort Lauderdale, FL.

The Docents and “other” employee’s of FHC have told me Mr Allen his NO interest at this time to finish the restoration of the B-17E. Even as late as the summer of 2011 a docent I’ve known a few years said about the same thing no room at FHC to display it at this time and Mr. Allen’s other planes and museum items take up his time and interests.

The B-17E is in “pieces” stored or under “further restoration” some place on the planet.

I have my own Conspiracy Theory about B-17's NOT being displayed in the N.W. Seattle and Everett Washington State.

The Museum Of Flight in Seattle B-17F 42-29782 does not have a permanent display status either. Why these two great aviation artifacts which have their birth here have not a monument to them is because I believe (CT) the aviation hierarchy in the region wants the area to be thought of or known as the Jet Age, Rocket Age, Computer Age area/company(s). Old WWII bombers on display “prominently” do not fit a PC vision to a area/company that sells “JETS” to the world.

I know I heard it first hand from a manager at the company tour center. He said the company public image consultants want a image of the present not past aviation in this region of plane manufacturing.

Also I have a photo of B-17E 41-9210 in all three editions of Scott Thompson’s “Final Cut”

B-17E photos I shot can also be seen at this website http://forum.armyairforces.com/photo.aspx?albumid=291

“KEEP ‘EM FLYING” Kef

[email protected]

post-9627-1332538095.jpg

"Mac" 91st BG 324 BS Top turret gunner and flight engineer and post WWII B-17ground crew crew chief also flew missions on B-17H's Search And Rescue. Mac looked over B-17E 41-9210 and gave his opinion of the current restoration he said it was all correct right down to the right "non large type paddle props". The exterior was in very good (in our opinion) displayable condition! So why FHC took it apart for further restoration was and still is a mystery.

His B-17G "Champagne Girl" 42-107075 collided July 19 1944 in mid air with "Bunky" over Obersaxen Switzerland he and his crew were interned in Switzerland. All were lost on Bunky. A picture of the crashed B-17G Champagne Girl and a quote from Mac and the crash can be seen in the book Strangers in a Strange Land Vol. II Escape to Neutrality pg 50. His video interview of Swiss interment and the crash I produced can be viewed if purchased or requested (because its not yet digitized) is on the VHP Veterans History Project via Library of Congress site collection# AFC/2001/001/54269

"Keep 'em Flying" or at least displayed all remaining B-17 Flying Fortress's is my battle cry... Kef

post-9627-1332540591.jpg

A few more photos of B-17E 41-9210 at Arlington Field Wa State

Swiss Internee " Mac" Donald McBey was in the 323rd Bomb Squadron not 324th.

Contained in: collection ID number AFC/2001/001/54269

post-9627-1332705498.jpg

B-17E 41-9210 in La Paz Bolivia pre World Jet Inc, Fort Lauderdale, FL. restoration

FRI REYES painted on the fuselage was Fride Reyes a Bolivian cargo hauler (MEAT) yes unrefrigerated MEAT!

B-17E CP-753 (2682) El Tigre first arrived in Bolivia in July 1964 with Compania Boliviana de Aviacion.

A quote from a Bolivian website http://www.aviacionboliviana.net/civil/perfil_frireyes.htm (translated)

"The CP-753 is now in the Flying Heritage Museum to be restored to the American colors (these vary by sponsor) and far, far away land where he real story. In fact this aircraft never operated in a theater of war in the twenty years between 1944 and 1964 he was in the U.S. went from a university campus to the hangars of several intermediaries. The most prominent stage of its operational life was in Bolivia, with BOA and then with Fri Reyes"

"By 1990 the company was already facing financial difficulties, the business was no longer as before, partly due to the introduction of refrigerated trucks of high tonnage and lower the demand for product. Thus, in a decision that weighed then many of us Fri Reyes decided to sell the last B-17 was operating in Bolivia, a gem of a few left in the world. This sale gave him a little more air to survive, but not enough"

So where is the restored ex meat hauler CP-753 B-17E 41-9210 I ask Flying Heritage Collection (Paul Allen) also I ask all aviation enthusiasts to also ask FHC to get this rarest (besides The Swoose) of all Seattle built B-17 Flying Fortress's displayed to the world.

post-9627-1332707653.jpg

B-17E 41-9210

From the website Bolivian Heavy Props

B-17E CP-753 (2682) El Tigre first arrived in Bolivia in July 1964 with Compania Boliviana de Aviacion

post-9627-1332710757.jpg

BOEING B-17E FLYING FORTRESS 41-9210

Manfred Poznanski photo of B-17E CP-753 with CP-753 marking on fuselage

Derelict ex-meat hauler... Some day center piece B-17 in a billionaire's aviation museum? (Near Seattle)

"KEEP 'EM FLYING"... Kef

post-9627-1332711668.jpg

How many years have past since the restoration of B-17E 41-9210?

One last family B-17E photo

A photo of my young family who shared my excitement. All thumbs up to this new development that a new and rare B-17 would be displayed near me at Arlington or Everett Wa at a local Museum.

My oldest daughter in the photo is now in collage and the younger girl is now the school treasurer in her Jr. year in high school.

I’m saying I want FHC to get B-17E 41-9210 put back together and displayed before to much more precious time flies by... Kef

post-9627-1332739369.jpg

• 2 years later...

An E-mail sent to me from Oberhausen Germany after viewing my comments in the U.S M.F. ( SEE ABOVE "MAC" )

"Hi, not sure if interesting for your forum. An B-17 Fan in Germany placed

a small memorial cross this summer at the place where the Bunky come

down after the collision with Champagne Girl in 1944.

best regards from south Germany"

Lennart

Lennart Sueberkrueb Berg 59 GE 82386 Oberhausen

post-9627-0-68868900-1413192995.jpg

I asked Lennart for a Translation of the plaque... ( SEE ABOVE "MAC" )

"Memorial cross on July 19, 1944 lost seven men of the crew of Bunky an American B-17 in a plane crash in this field their lives. While attacking Lagerlechfeld, Bunky collided in the 10000m height with the Champagne Girl.

This cross is a symbol for all in the air combat over Germany fallen young men of all nations"

"As far as I know managed it the Champagne Girl crew to flight to Swiss. About 150 miles from here.

Nearly nothing left from Bunky." quote from Lennart

What happen to the other 3 crewmen on "BUNKY" is not yet explained nor mentioned in the e-mail from Lennart...KEF

post-9627-0-78001200-1413193111.jpg

• 2 years later...

"Mac" 91st BG 324 BS Top turret gunner and flight engineer and post WWII B-17ground crew crew chief also flew missions on B-17H's Search And Rescue. Mac looked over B-17E 41-9210 and gave his opinion of the current restoration he said it was all correct right down to the right "non large type paddle props". The exterior was in very good (in our opinion) displayable condition! So why FHC took it apart for further restoration was and still is a mystery.

His B-17G "Champagne Girl" 42-107075 collided July 19 1944 in mid air with "Bunky" over Obersaxen Switzerland he and his crew were interned in Switzerland. All were lost on Bunky. A picture of the crashed B-17G Champagne Girl and a quote from Mac and the crash can be seen in the book Strangers in a Strange Land Vol. II Escape to Neutrality pg 50. His video interview of Swiss interment and the crash I produced can be viewed if purchased or requested (because its not yet digitized) is on the VHP Veterans History Project via Library of Congress site collection# AFC/2001/001/54269

"Keep 'em Flying" or at least displayed all remaining B-17 Flying Fortress's is my battle cry... Kef

Within the posting Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:30 PM "B-17E 41-9210 and B-17F 42-29782 where are they & why aren't they"

The Veterans History Project collection# AFC/2001/001/54269 is now digitized by the Library of Congress. This video interview of a 91st BG combat crew member "Mac" who went down in the B-17G Champagne Girl over Switzerland after colliding with another B-17 and then "Mac's" crew were all interned in neutral Switzerland. How he tried to escape when he could have sat out the war in safety. The truth about allied service men's treatment, interned in "neutral Switzerland.

Just click on the VIEW DIGITIZED COLLECTION large rectangular button to the right off Collection Information

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/bib/loc.natlib.afc2001001.54269

"Keep 'em Flying" Kef

12-30-16

• 4 years later...
On 3/23/2012 at 3:48 PM, KEF said:

post-9627-1332540591.jpg

The VHP Library of Congress site collection# AFC/2001/001/54269  is now digitized and viewable. May 26th 2021