M-1910 Aluminum Canteen

Wolfhounds

Hey gang,

I did a search in this section, but I couldn't find any info on how to clean the outside of an aluminum canteen. While I did find a very detailed three page thread on how to clean the inside of the canteen, I don't think anyone mentioned how to clean, shine, or polish the outside ???

Any tried and true thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or methods on how to clean the outside ??? I'm thinking just using an SOS pad or some good old fashioned steel wool, but I figured I ask and see what everyone else has used.

Also, what about the plastic cap ???

Thanks,

Sean

Sean,

My suggestion is to leave it as is. As polish crazy as the military is, I think even they left canteens alone. The less reflective surface in the field the better, right?

My 2 cents,

capa

Hey gang,

I did a search in this section, but I couldn't find any info on how to clean the outside of an aluminum canteen. While I did find a very detailed three page thread on how to clean the inside of the canteen, I don't think anyone mentioned how to clean, shine, or polish the outside ???

Any tried and true thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or methods on how to clean the outside ??? I'm thinking just using an SOS pad or some good old fashioned steel wool, but I figured I ask and see what everyone else has used.

Also, what about the plastic cap ???

Thanks,

Sean

If you care about preserving the naturally aged patina on that surface, then use a simple cloth or plastic scrubbing pad with white vinegar and hot water, only. A mild abrasive can be achieved using a cloth with baking soda and water.

But, if you choose to use an SOS pad or anything involving metal on metal, you absolutely will scratch the surface quite noticeably.

So, it depends on how much you value the surface as it is now the result of aging.

Thanks for the info guys !!! I guess I should have specified my intentions a little better. I know I made it sound like I wanted to polish my canteens, but honestly, I really don't want them to shine like a signal mirror, lol. I like the dull gray of the aluminum, but I would just like to remove some of the spots/spotting that is on them. I don't really know how else to phrase it. It's not rust (at least I don't think so) as the spots don't have the same color as rust ??? Anyone who has an old M-1910 aluminum canteen knows exactly what I'm talking about. It looks like the canteen has been pulled in and out of the cover a thousand times...or more.

Does that make any sense at all, lol.

Thanks for the info guys !!! I guess I should have specified my intentions a little better. I know I made it sound like I wanted to polish my canteens, but honestly, I really don't want them to shine like a signal mirror, lol. I like the dull gray of the aluminum, but I would just like to remove some of the spots/spotting that is on them. I don't really know how else to phrase it. It's not rust (at least I don't think so) as the spots don't have the same color as rust ??? Anyone who has an old M-1910 aluminum canteen knows exactly what I'm talking about. It looks like the canteen has been pulled in and out of the cover a thousand times...or more.

Does that make any sense at all, lol.

In that case, the white vinegar and hot water oughta get everything off that will come off without messing it up.

Hey Blue,

Thanks for the tip, but do you have a recipe for this ??? How much vinegar and hot water do you use. Also, if I decide to go with the baking soda and water, how much of that do I use ???

Thanks again,

Sean

Hey Blue,

Thanks for the tip, but do you have a recipe for this ??? How much vinegar and hot water do you use. Also, if I decide to go with the baking soda and water, how much of that do I use ???

Thanks again,

Sean

You would use roughly 3 tablespoons of WHITE vinegar to each quart of hot water. The best way is to fill up a cooking pan with as much of this as would cover up your canteen and let it go for 15 minutes at a rolling boil. Then wipe dry with soft cloth. If, like me, you have been banned from the kitchen, then find something she'll let you put on her stove from out of your garage. In worst case, you must build a campfire and do this outdoors.

:rolleyes:

You can repeat that ^ procedure several times until you are satisfied that everything you don't like looking at is gone.

With baking soda, you just don't want to get a paste built up when you apply it to the canteen. That would scratch it. You'll have to judge for yourself by dissolving the powder in hot water and then (with your hands) rubbing around on the surface to see if any effect is had.

Obviously, vinegar is an acid and baking soda is alkaline. So, one will reverse the other. The soda method is suggested when a LIGHT abrasive is desired.

[p.s. I learned these lessons about scratching soft aluminum immediately following use of steel wool upon my crew chief's R-2800 engine nacelle he'd asked me to get the oil off of. It was never the same, and every time he saw it afterward I would receive stern gazes in my direction.]

Cool, thanks for the detailed info !!! So if I'm reading this right, just put the canteen in an old pot with an equal mix of vinegar and water and just boil the thing for 15 minutes ??? If I don't like the results the 1st time around, just keep doing it until I like the results ??? Will this basically kill two birds with one stone and clean the inside as well ??? One more thing, this won't damage the plastic cap or the cork insert will it ???

Sorry for all of the questions, but I obviously don't want to damage anything. Thanks again for the help, and I'm sorry your wife has banished you from the kitchen :hapy0004:

Cool, thanks for the detailed info !!! So if I'm reading this right, just put the canteen in an old pot with an equal mix of vinegar and water and just boil the thing for 15 minutes ??? If I don't like the results the 1st time around, just keep doing it until I like the results ??? Will this basically kill two birds with one stone and clean the inside as well ??? One more thing, this won't damage the plastic cap or the cork insert will it ???

Sorry for all of the questions, but I obviously don't want to damage anything. Thanks again for the help, and I'm sorry your wife has banished you from the kitchen :hapy0004:

No, no. NOT "equal mix"!

Use about THREE TABLESPOONS OF WHITE VINEGAR to ONE QUART OF WATER. It will probably take TWO QUARTS of water to fully cover the canteen in a pan, so then you would use SIX TABLESPOONS of vinegar (WHITE vinegar, not APPLE CIDER vinegar or any other kind!)

If you don't like the results after the first go at 15 minutes rolling boil, then do it again until you are happy with its looks. You'll have to throw out the used mixture, and start a fresh batch. By the time you're done boiling it 15 minutes the first time, there won't be any strength left in the vinegar.

Yes, it could very well help with cleaning crud off the inside too.

No, it won't have any effect on the plastic cap unless you have the fire on so hot as to melt it, and the cork should be okay too unless it is already rotten.

[i used to be sorry for the banishment. But then, I never had to do any dishes ever since.] :w00t:

Thanks Blue, I'll give this a try in a couple of days and let you know how it turns out. Hey, at least your not a human dishwasher anymore :D

A good buddy of mine was stationed in Germany in the early 50's. He was in the Army and when he got there he had to polish his mess kit, canteen and cup. His unit, for whatever reason all had mess utensils with a mirror polish.

I had never heard of such but in honor of my buddy I polished one of my canteens. I think I used Flitz Polish and elbow grease.....it worked. I put a mirror shine on a canteen and actually love it. I think it is way cool! As for the patina. Well the patina on mine is just like the patina on my buddy's in 1953.

Ronnie

Hey Blue,

I tried the method you recommended of boiling the canteen in vinegar and water, but honestly, it didn't really do anything. I think at this point I would like to try polishing the canteens, is there a particular method you recommend ??? I'm not going to worry about the patina too much because after all, they are aluminum, and the patina will eventually return. Is there anything you have used with good results. They don't necessarily need to look like the day they were made, but I think I'm going to need something a little stronger than baking soda ???

Thanks again,

Sean

Hey Blue,

I tried the method you recommended of boiling the canteen in vinegar and water, but honestly, it didn't really do anything. I think at this point I would like to try polishing the canteens, is there a particular method you recommend ??? I'm not going to worry about the patina too much because after all, they are aluminum, and the patina will eventually return. Is there anything you have used with good results. They don't necessarily need to look like the day they were made, but I think I'm going to need something a little stronger than baking soda ???

Thanks again,

Sean

Read Post #11.....use Flitz Polish or Silver Polish. Any type of metal polish will do. Start rubbing and rubbing....and rubbing. Do a section of the canteen. Then get a soft old towel and start polishing, or buffing. If it isn't shiney enough for ya then repeat the process. It ain't hard to do and it dang sure ain't rocket science.....just work. But man when you get thru it sure is purdy!

Ronnie

Hey Blue,

Thanks again,

Sean

What Ronnie suggested will work just fine, since you decided that you don't need to preserve the original patina. I have to agree with your decision, it must be said. If it's just an ordinary aluminum canteen, then there's lots and lots of them out there and the patina is nothing that demands keeping. As you said, that finish will come back pretty quick anyway. If you do use any metal on metal abrasive pad or anything, then that definitely will make some permanent scratches you probably don't want though.

A good buddy of mine was stationed in Germany in the early 50's. He was in the Army and when he got there he had to polish his mess kit, canteen and cup. His unit, for whatever reason all had mess utensils with a mirror polish.

I had never heard of such but in honor of my buddy I polished one of my canteens. I think I used Flitz Polish and elbow grease.....it worked. I put a mirror shine on a canteen and actually love it. I think it is way cool! As for the patina. Well the patina on mine is just like the patina on my buddy's in 1953.

Ronnie

And THAT is why we should never say never! Sounds like Occupation GI Blues to me!

Capa

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll pick up some metal polish and give it a try on a rainy day. Ronnie, you wouldn't happen to have any pic's of that canteen you shined up would you ??? If you have any before and after pic's that would be great, but if not, I'd still like to check it out. It would be nice to see what the finished product looks like !!!

Hey by the way, I looked and looked and looked, but I couldn't find anything online about a product called "elbow grease". You got any ideas where I can find any of that stuff at :laughing1:

Sean

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll pick up some metal polish and give it a try on a rainy day. Ronnie, you wouldn't happen to have any pic's of that canteen you shined up would you ??? If you have any before and after pic's that would be great, but if not, I'd still like to check it out. It would be nice to see what the finished product looks like !!!

Hey by the way, I looked and looked and looked, but I couldn't find anything online about a product called "elbow grease". You got any ideas where I can find any of that stuff at :laughing1:

Sean

Sean I don't have a photo. I'm photo challenged and if you look thru my posts you will see no photos with exception of some I took a year or two ago and a secretary in my office posted for me. I plan real soon to be able to post photos from home to my iPad. I polished a late war common canteen, either 44 or 45 dated. It shined really well when I got thru. I will dig it out and take it to my office and see if we can get you a picture. It's been a while since I've seen it and it might need a clean up.

As for the "elbow grease".... My jar is about empty. If I want something polished now I'm gonna pay someone to do it for me.

I really do like the way they look when cleaned. I have seen them at shows before that have been polished and were for sale.

It really isn't that difficult to do and depending on the degree of "shine" you want it will not take long to do.

Good luck and please post a photo for us to see when you get her shining!

Ronnie

• 1 month later...
Captainofthe7th

If nothing else works and if you have access to a sandblaster I would use that. Start off using baking soda and then move on to fine fine sand if that doesn't work. The baking soda is agitative enough where it will remove most crap off the surface, like paint, etc. but won't really do much to the actual object at all. Fine sand wouldn't damage the aluminum either. I have used both on plastic and metal parts and it's great.

Rob

• 7 months later...

I know this is a few days late, but here is what I did. I used Wizards Metal Polish. The pink cotton like stuff for polishing whatever metal you want a shine on. Me and some buddy polished up an unopened can of soda and it looked like show chrome when we finished. But I recently acquired a WWI canteen and cup that had some less than desirable looking metal. So I took a piece and slowly worked an area. I didn't make it shine like a new Harley, but keep it within reasonable means as not to detract from the piece. I stopped after a light polish removed any crud, and light corrosion was removed. I wish I took before and after pics. But it looks good along side my WWI mess kit that was almost mint for being 96 years old.