Oshkosh Heavy Equipment Transporter

Retired

I am currently working on a 1:35 model of the Heavy Equipment Transporter (HET). I need some help with the details of the interior of the cab. Can anyone provide a color photo of the cab interior or at least give me some idea of the equipment colors. I do know that the interior is a medium green, somewhat lighter than olive drab and that the seat cushions are khaki. In the right rear corner are some small containers with hoses or tubes which run to a small container on the floor below and also to the left rear corner where there are some additional hoses. Does anyone know what these are for and what color they should be? Attached below is a portion of the instructions showing these containers. I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thank you.

Retired (Dallas Freeborn)

post-264-1332518582.jpg

Retired, If I recall those are the NBC (nuclear, biological,chemical) filtration canisters and hoses. I also seem to remember them being light blue/grey? Hope this helps!

Brandon

Retired, If I recall those are the NBC (nuclear, biological,chemical) filtration canisters and hoses. I also seem to remember them being light blue/grey? Hope this helps!

Brandon

Thanks for the info, Brandon. I hoped that someone on the forum would have some information on those.

Retired

Can’t help you on the hose colors, but you sure the seat covers were tan? I rode in HETs several times before they yanked them from my Battalion (in a Heavy Mech Brigade) and turned to over to the Corps Support Group, and I would have sworn the seats were OD green or maybe black (I distinctly remember a very dark color). If memory serves, the interior was that light green color that you see on the insides of M-113s and other tracked vehicles. To be honest, I never spent much time looking at the insides of them. When you rode in one, you were REALLY up high above traffic when we went into a highway so most of us enjoyed the view outside if we weren’t catching up on snoozing (It drives my wife nuts that I can sleep in almost ANY form of transportation, all from my Army time).

I know it’s not the subject, but we were once heading over Snoqualmie Pass in a HET to support a gunnery exercise in Yakima from Fort Lewis. We had my Battalion CO’s M998 on the back and I bet people laughed when they saw a load that light on the back of a trailer that large. The next trip over the pass a few months later, some jerk on a Honda merged right into the huge humble of wheels in the trailer, then had the nerve to say my driver merged into him (heck, it takes forever to change lanes in a HET). My driver was a thin female of maybe 5’2” in height. He started yelling at her with some really terrible language, stuff you rarely heard soldiers even saying. Well, the rest of us went out the other door, came around the front of cab, all carrying our M-16A2s (no ammo, but magazines inserted to keep the dust out). I had a shoulder/holstered M-9 pistol. Grabbing one of my soldiers from breaking the civilian in half, I got right up between them, looked him in the eye and with my best Clint Eastwood impression said, “Do we have a PROBLEM here?” The guy just froze in place when we saw there five of us, all armed, one of him. And I bet my driver could have held her own in a fight, too. I filled out the accident forms and explained everything to the Support Ops people, the Battalion XO and CO, the Brigade S-4, then that was that. We never heard another word about it. That was the last time I ever rode in a HET as handed the whole company over to the CSG about that time.

Can’t help you on the hose colors, but you sure the seat covers were tan? I rode in HETs several times before they yanked them from my Battalion (in a Heavy Mech Brigade) and turned to over to the Corps Support Group, and I would have sworn the seats were OD green or maybe black (I distinctly remember a very dark color). If memory serves, the interior was that light green color that you see on the insides of M-113s and other tracked vehicles. To be honest, I never spent much time looking at the insides of them. When you rode in one, you were REALLY up high above traffic when we went into a highway so most of us enjoyed the view outside if we weren’t catching up on snoozing (It drives my wife nuts that I can sleep in almost ANY form of transportation, all from my Army time).

I know it’s not the subject, but we were once heading over Snoqualmie Pass in a HET to support a gunnery exercise in Yakima from Fort Lewis. We had my Battalion CO’s M998 on the back and I bet people laughed when they saw a load that light on the back of a trailer that large. The next trip over the pass a few months later, some jerk on a Honda merged right into the huge humble of wheels in the trailer, then had the nerve to say my driver merged into him (heck, it takes forever to change lanes in a HET). My driver was a thin female of maybe 5’2” in height. He started yelling at her with some really terrible language, stuff you rarely heard soldiers even saying. Well, the rest of us went out the other door, came around the front of cab, all carrying our M-16A2s (no ammo, but magazines inserted to keep the dust out). I had a shoulder/holstered M-9 pistol. Grabbing one of my soldiers from breaking the civilian in half, I got right up between them, looked him in the eye and with my best Clint Eastwood impression said, “Do we have a PROBLEM here?” The guy just froze in place when we saw there five of us, all armed, one of him. And I bet my driver could have held her own in a fight, too. I filled out the accident forms and explained everything to the Support Ops people, the Battalion XO and CO, the Brigade S-4, then that was that. We never heard another word about it. That was the last time I ever rode in a HET as handed the whole company over to the CSG about that time.

I have not actually seen the seat covers in the HET. The kit instructions called for khaki on the covers. It sounds as if you have had your share of experiences riding in one. Thanks for the response.

I have not actually seen the seat covers in the HET. The kit instructions called for khaki on the covers. It sounds as if you have had your share of experiences riding in one. Thanks for the response.

I was exploring the internet last night and came across the mother lode of HET information. WWW.primeportal.net/the_battlefield_softskin.htm has everything on almost all military vehicles. I found a number of photos of the inside of the HET. The CBR canisters are white. The hoses below are light blue and the horizontal pipe below the hoses is green. The pipe from the canisters along the back of the cab is green and the individual hoses which hang down for personnel use are also green. The seat covers are tan or khaki. This will enable me to complete the inside of the cab.

Retired