Navy paint job advice

stonewaller

stonewaller

Hey guys,

I'm soon to start restoring a beat up FSFB shell. I would like to paint it in a USN scheme. So I have a few questions.

Firstly, I assume the paint used, was what ever was kicking around on board? Is there a consistent shade with this? Also, is this a gloss or Matt paint?

Secondly, I would like the helmet to represent that of a crew member of an LCP (L), so does anyone have images of these crews and would they have a particular metho painting? USN/blue bands?

Any info/reference pics welcome!

Hey guys,

I'm soon to start restoring a beat up FSFB shell. I would like to paint it in a USN scheme. So I have a few questions.

Firstly, I assume the paint used, was what ever was kicking around on board? Is there a consistent shade with this? Also, is this a gloss or Matt paint?

Secondly, I would like the helmet to represent that of a crew member of an LCP (L), so does anyone have images of these crews and would they have a particular metho painting? USN/blue bands?

Any info/reference pics welcome!

The answer to all your questions is yes. What ever paint was closest to the paint locker door. It may have been straight from the bucket or mixed with something to stretch it a bit. some was gloss but most was flat, depending on the shade. There were only two markings that were ever standardized for helmets in the USN. The white spots for Beach Battalion Corpsmen and the markings used by the Normendy Beach Battalions. Every thing else was made up locally, either some command wide thing like a nuymber to account for the thing, or something a Sailor did to mark a specific helmet as his.

Hope that helps

Steve Hesson

The answer to all your questions is yes. What ever paint was closest to the paint locker door. It may have been straight from the bucket or mixed with something to stretch it a bit. some was gloss but most was flat, depending on the shade. There were only two markings that were ever standardized for helmets in the USN. The white spots for Beach Battalion Corpsmen and the markings used by the Normendy Beach Battalions. Every thing else was made up locally, either some command wide thing like a nuymber to account for the thing, or something a Sailor did to mark a specific helmet as his.

Hope that helps

Steve Hesson

Red Lead and paint....................the Navy way to keep you busy at sea! LOL!

Sounds like a great project. Could you be more specific on what campaign you are interested. That would help narrow down what markings you might be interested in.

Steve is rigt about official markings but there were literally hundreds of personally marked and camoed helmets used.

Thanks!

Skip the primer (Red Lead) and lean toward one of the shipboard greys ( i would lean towards gloss)

It was a joke :lol:

I had an old swivel bail pot with most of the finish gone that I decided to restore as a helmet my Dad would have worn. He was a Coxswain on an APA and drove LCVPs and other small landing craft. I found some photos of boat crews in the Pacific and determined that a common marking was the APA number on the back. After cleaning up the helmet, retexturing and priming, I chose a Testors "Battleship Gray" (kind of glossy) and sprayed it on. I then hand lettered his ship number on the back. When he first saw it, his eyes opened wide and he asked "Where did you get this?" I told him I made it up and he said it looked just like his except he also had his boat number on the front. I have not gotten around to adding that yet but by his reaction, it must have been pretty close to the helmet he wore.

As far as other photos I have seen when looking at boat crews, the golor seems to vary from what looks like standard OD to any shade of gray. Hand-applied or stenciled markings usually were white and appeared on the back, front or both. My assumption is that the markings were more for the in charge of loading the boat with soldiers and the passengers themselves to make sure everyone was in the right place!

Hope this helps a little.

I had an old swivel bail pot with most of the finish gone that I decided to restore as a helmet my Dad would have worn. He was a Coxswain on an APA and drove LCVPs and other small landing craft. I found some photos of boat crews in the Pacific and determined that a common marking was the APA number on the back. After cleaning up the helmet, retexturing and priming, I chose a Testors "Battleship Gray" (kind of glossy) and sprayed it on. I then hand lettered his ship number on the back. When he first saw it, his eyes opened wide and he asked "Where did you get this?" I told him I made it up and he said it looked just like his except he also had his boat number on the front. I have not gotten around to adding that yet but by his reaction, it must have been pretty close to the helmet he wore.

As far as other photos I have seen when looking at boat crews, the color seems to vary from what looks like standard OD to any shade of gray. When visible, hand-applied or stenciled markings usually were white and appeared on the back, front or both. My assumption is that the markings were more for the in charge of loading the boat with soldiers and the passengers themselves to make sure everyone was in the right place!

Hope this helps a little.

I was going to suggest Testors various matched spray paints for painting the helmet....

Coo that you did that as well....

LF

• 1 month later...
1stusmcdiv42

Maybe this can be of some help.

This is a helmet I painted up for my Shore Party naval gunfire coordinator impression in my USMC collection. The grey is airbrushed over the OD and the letters and numbers are hand painted. This helmet is NOT a WW2 Helmet. When I build my helmets the ones I paint up with camo and markings are only those olive green 1970s produced helmets so that in the future if it ever works its way out of my collection it can never be sold as original.

IMG00784-20120412-1516.jpg

IMG00785-20120412-1516.jpg

IMG00787-20120412-1517.jpg

IMG00788-20120412-1517.jpg

Here is the completed uniform. Both jacket and trousers are originals.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Or you can just send it to me and I'll paint it for you :thumbsup:

I've been painting Leather and Cloth Jackets locally. I'll get some good pictures put up next week so you can see some of the stuff I do. Here's a short samples

Black A-2 Korean War Rakkasan's Jacket

000_4625.jpg

000_4627.jpg

000_4629.jpg

Back

000_4631.jpg

Custom Nametape

000_4628.jpg

Rock