WW1 aircraft items found today

tenacious101010

tenacious101010

I went thru a bunch of aircraft stuff today. Most of it was WW2 era P-51 stuff but there were many otehr items in the lot. I purchased three aircraft items today. Two of the items I believe are from a JN-4 Jenny. One item is a wing strut and the other a tiller for the rudder of a Jenny. The third item was said to be a wheel off of an early motorcycle. Upon closer inspection, I saw the center hub was offset to one side of the rim. If this were motorcycle, it would be centered. I have what I believe is a spoked wheel from a WW1 era airplane. Now to figure out which aircraft. First, since it was found in the uS, it is most likely a US aircraft wheel. Since it was in the same location as the Jenny parts, that will be the first area to research. The next would be to see if it might be from a DH-4 and move on from there. The tire is not WW1 era, it actually is new, the flashing is still there from when the tire was molded. The only information on the rim or tire is the writing on the tire. On the tire it says it is a Balloon tire, made my Coker tire company, and the size is 3.85-20. Anyone have any idea what this wheel might be from>

Thanks, Denny

post-68867-1332355106.jpg

post-68867-1332355137.jpg

tenacious101010
I went thru a bunch of aircraft stuff today. Most of it was WW2 era P-51 stuff but there were many otehr items in the lot. I purchased three aircraft items today. Two of the items I believe are from a JN-4 Jenny. One item is a wing strut and the other a tiller for the rudder of a Jenny. The third item was said to be a wheel off of an early motorcycle. Upon closer inspection, I saw the center hub was offset to one side of the rim. If this were motorcycle, it would be centered. I have what I believe is a spoked wheel from a WW1 era airplane. Now to figure out which aircraft. First, since it was found in the uS, it is most likely a US aircraft wheel. Since it was in the same location as the Jenny parts, that will be the first area to research. The next would be to see if it might be from a DH-4 and move on from there. The tire is not WW1 era, it actually is new, the flashing is still there from when the tire was molded. The only information on the rim or tire is the writing on the tire. On the tire it says it is a Balloon tire, made my Coker tire company, and the size is 3.85-20. Anyone have any idea what this wheel might be from>

Thanks, Denny

post-68867-1332355246.jpg

post-68867-1332355263.jpg

tenacious101010

After a bit of research, I found I had misidentified one item as a tiller bar, that was incorrect. It is, in fact, a rudder "pedal" assembly from the front cockpit from a JN4 Jenny. The wheel turns out to be from a DH-4.