Private to General Hetzel's Service Medals NYNG

manayunkman

manayunkman

Service medals from any National Guard have never been very sexy or sought after. I thought by chance that this set might spark some interest.

All these medals came from Foster Hetzel who enlisted in the 13th Coastal Artillery ( Coney Island ) New York National guard in 1907 as a private. In 1950 he became a Brig. General.

I think that this just might be a complete set of all the New York National Guard long Service medals.

I hope you enjoy them.

M

PS. Those are the General's original Private stripe and General's star.

post-51189-1332220993.jpg

post-51189-1332221019.jpg

post-51189-1332221040.jpg

manayunkman

And then came 40 years. No. 3

The 25 year medal is better than both the 35 and 40 year.

post-51189-1332222340.jpg

post-51189-1332222355.jpg

MilitaryWired
Service medals from any National Guard have never been very sexy or sought after.

I would pick National Guard medals over Federal awards any day... especially the NY Long Service Medals you have pictured! :jeal0001:

manayunkman
I would pick National Guard medals over Federal awards any day... especially the NY Long Service Medals you have pictured! :jeal0001:

Thank you.

Glad you like them.

M

manayunkman
They are VERY NICE medals... presume anything beyond 30 years has got to be a scarce medal?

Thanks T.

I know the 25 year is worth it's weight in gold.

As for the 35 and 40 year I have no idea of any value. I'll say this much these are the only ones I have ever seen.

According to Ogletree, in this series of NY medals there was no 30-year award for this type of long service medal for some reason. To quote him, "The Type III award [i.e. a later type of award than his 40-year medal which you show, as opposed to the earlier Type II which comprise all his other state long service awards], established in the late 1950s, was intended as a 'gap-filler' to recognize 30 years of service. Its existence was not well documented by the state and few references to it exist in official records." The Type III award is not illustrated in his book, "Awards and Decorations of the State Military Forces," the standard work on the subject, but my guess is that it looked similar to Hetzer's 40-year medal. All together, his later state long service awards are extremely scarce, especially considering that many, if not most, of the awards for 15 years and beyond were scrapped for the gold content.

Here is 35 years. A breast star. Was there a 30 year ?

It is numbered 121.

manayunkman
According to Ogletree, in this series of NY medals there was no 30-year award for this type of long service medal for some reason. To quote him, "The Type III award [i.e. a later type of award than his 40-year medal which you show, as opposed to the earlier Type II which comprise all his other state long service awards], established in the late 1950s, was intended as a 'gap-filler' to recognize 30 years of service. Its existence was not well documented by the state and few references to it exist in official records." The Type III award is not illustrated in his book, "Awards and Decorations of the State Military Forces," the standard work on the subject, but my guess is that it looked similar to Hetzer's 40-year medal. All together, his later state long service awards are extremely scarce, especially considering that many, if not most, of the awards for 15 years and beyond were scrapped for the gold content.

3mxd,

Thank you for the sought after information. Do you think that the 40 year is worth more than the metal content, as rare as it is ??

M

Can't help you with the value. Perhaps you should contact a dealer who's familiar with relative prices for NYNG medals like Roger Brewer who's a member of this forum I believe. I only collect the state LS medals if they are a part of a larger attributable group or were awarded to a member of the 7th NY/107th US Infantry.

3mxd,

Thank you for the sought after information. Do you think that the 40 year is worth more than the metal content, as rare as it is ??

M

MilitaryWired

No, the solid gold NY medals sell for their gold price & not for their rarity. This is sad, because it means most likely that the first person to buy one of these is someone investing in gold & will likely have it melted down. There are a few collectors that can justify purchasing these for their gold price... the problem is, if the price of gold goes down then the value of their medal will decline accordingly. Many collectors don't like that risk... they prefer medals that would have a more stable value.

I saw a solid gold NY LSM sell recently for several thousand dollars. That price was 100% for the price of it's gold... I really, really hope a collector grabbed it. :crybaby:

The Corporal chevron shown in the top photograph is for an Infanty Corporal, pre- 1902 and worn on the lower sleeve of the greatcoat (overcoat in modern lingo).

manayunkman
I have a group with the 10, 15, 20, and 25 year medals in them, FANTASTIC Quality! I didn't realize the 25 year is made of Gold--What year did they stop making them out of Gold?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

2 1/2 troy ounces of solid 24 k gold. At the price of Gold today 4125.00. But you won't get that much. 80% from a fair gold buyer. FYI

manayunkman
The Corporal chevron shown in the top photograph is for an Infanty Corporal, pre- 1902 and worn on the lower sleeve of the greatcoat (overcoat in modern lingo).

Thank you for the correction. Hetzel did start as a private.

manayunkman
I have a group with the 10, 15, 20, and 25 year medals in them, FANTASTIC Quality! I didn't realize the 25 year is made of Gold--What year did they stop making them out of Gold?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

Very nice grouping. I have never seen the boxes. Thanks for posting the link.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 years later...