WW1 hardtack/bread dimensions

Hitman_one

If any of you have the ww1 period hardtack rations in the long tins could you let me know the dimensions please.Its for a diy project pack filler.

They are the ones carried in the field packs.Three were carried.

Thanks.

I think the standard ration was 4 cans. If I remember correctly this is what the M1910 manual calls for. Of course this would have been dictated by the situation.

Tim

If any of you have the ww1 period hardtack rations in the long tins could you let me know the dimensions please.Its for a diy project pack filler.

They are the ones carried in the field packs.Three were carried.

Thanks.

post-192-1332254490.jpg

It was four unless a emergency ration was carried, I think if I remember right.

Now it's going to bug me until I look it up. :rolleyes:

I think the standard ration was 4 cans. If I remember correctly this is what the M1910 manual calls for. Of course this would have been dictated by the situation.

Tim

What manual is that pic from? I love the early haversack with the early pack tail and the early bacon can.

What manual is that pic from? I love the early haversack with the early pack tail and the early bacon can.

The photo is from the book "What Sammy's doing" which was published for the homefront during WW1. It contains great photos of the early M1910 gear.

It does occasionally come up for sale on ebay.

Tim

Thanks for all your help folks.

Making my own is my only option as i have no hope of ever finding originals in this country..

• 3 years later...

I just picked up two in the last three months, one was $300 and the most recent was $200 and it has a small hole in the seal that I need to seal up.

• 3 weeks later...
eaglerunner88

Wow, I'd expect them to be fairly pricey since they were meant to be opened/eaten and once opened the tins were easily crushed.