Constabulary Horse Platoon trooper

124cav

Well ive been emailing as many folks as i can,finding names and email adresses from the Constabulary veterans association.

I probably bounce out 1 or 2 emails a week and never get anything in the way of response but im happy to report that a veteran of the 14th Constabulary regiments horse platoon has gotten back to me.

sent a rather annoying and vague email

Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:52 PM

To: JD

Subject: Horse Constabulary

Gday Jim

Im interested in your experiences as a horse trooper with the US Constabulary

Regards

Sam

and Jims response is below

To: 'Samuel Cox' <su>

Sent: Wednesday, 29 February 2012 3:24 PM

Subject: RE: Horse Constabulary

Mr. Cox. I do not know who you are, or where you got your information. Also what do you intend to do with the information about the US Constabulary Horse Platoons?/. Jim

Jim “Bucky” Deming

Gday Jim

I probably should have given a little info

I found your name and email adress on http://www.usconstabulary.com

Im a collector of ww2 US army horse cavalry related materials

Ive been collecting for 20 years and have one of the premiums collections (outside of the US) on the subject

I am a frequent contributor to http://www.militaryhorse.org where i post under my own name Ive been emailing as many veterans of the Constabulary horse platoons as i can looking for information about Americas last "horse soldiers"

Sadly none have replied

I would like to put a transcript of any interviews on http://www.militaryhorse.org

If you can help in anyway please let me know

if you cant,likewise let me know

thanks for your time

Sam

Hello Sam. It looks like you do a real good job on your Hobby. I have to tell you a Little about the US Constabulary Horse Platoons. I am quite sure that you realize the reason for the Horses in an occupied Country. One of the nick names we had by the German People was the Potato Bugs. They said that is because we were everywhere. I am sorry that I do not have any equipment or other materials to offer you. I was Transferred into the 14th Constabulary Regt. Hq. I received my Trooper Training. Upon graduation my class was sent all over Germany. I was retained and given a choice of Training for the Motorcycle or Horse Platoon.

I chose the Horse Platoon and was stationed on the Russian Border. Nothing romantic or special. We patrolled the border on our side. On the other side was a Russian Division. I was only in that Platoon for about 3 months and a lot of Platoons were withdrawn and gave way to new roads that were made. Therefore a motor patrol was established. I was then transferred to the 53rd. Squadron as a Trooper. The last horses I can remember were in the American Zone in Berlin. Used mostly for show and crowd control. I am now 83 years old and there are not very many of us left. Our numbers are depleting pretty fast now. Jim

Where are you from?

I was born and raised in Connecticut.

Where did you enlist?

I enlisted in Bridgeport Connecticut.

I took Armor Basic Training in Fort Knox KY. The Constabulary was officially activated in Jan 46. And by Jul 46 we were in business. The first Commander was Major General Harmon. He was the commander of both the 1st and 2nd Armor Divisions in WW 11. He set a standard for the men he wanted as Troopers. Height weight, and IQ were important. We were US Army soldiers, but Trained to be a Police Force. We worked with Jeeps, Motorcycles, single engine aircraft, M8 Armored Cars and of course for the rough terrain we had horses.

Was the 14th horse platoon allready active when you arrived in Germany?

The Horse Platoons were already activated when I arrived in Germany

In regards to farriers and saddlers who took care of that for you?

I understand that we did use civilians that were experts in their crafts. That also was the same for Black Smitees, and leather craftsman.

Was veterinary care handled within the platoon or by the Constabularys overworked Veterinary detachment?

I am sure that each Platoon did have a Vet.

Did you have any previous work with horses?

Hi Sam I was an experienced rider. We had horses when we were younger. The only difference that I had to get used to was using a Military saddle as opposed to a western type I was used to. My brother and I did also ride bareback a lot when we were kids.

Who instructed you?

I would say though most of the Troopers learned to ride from instructiors’and \ from the German civilians that provided the Horses. I can’t say that all the horses we had were German, But I think between Austria, Italy, and Germany we had horses.

To make sure that you understand Our kind of riding was not Parades, Tricks , or show off riding. The biggest chore to learned was to properly take care of the horse you were issued. Daily inspection by the Vet, clean the stalls and the horses themselves. I am glad my Horse was a Female. Easier to prepare her for inspection if you know what I mean.

I can tell you this. There is only one guy left that I know of from our Horse Platoon of 18 EM and 1, 2nd Lt.

One of our guy’s that was a sergeant and also our vet is still alive. He owns a ranch in Nevada. He could tell you a little more than I can. I was really just a rookie and I rode every other day.

well if i havent bothered Jim too much there may be a bit more to follow

honestly after nearly 10 years of emailing folks ,Jim is actually the 1st to offer any help at all so im pretty happy

i guess for me its the same feeling my 2 and a half year old would get from interviewing Dora the Explorer