So, are these all the variants out there...

tsellati

...or am I still missing some? I did not set out to collect all the variants of the E.G. Waterman fighting knives available during WWII, but it just seems to have turned out that way :ermm: :think: .

Here are the 3 I have thus far -

compositeof3EGWknives.jpg

compositehandlegripcomparison.jpg

compositebladecomparison.jpg

What I am particularly struck by is the variation in blade length, the longest being 7-1/2", the smallest being 5", and the medium length one being 6-1/4".

So, do I have all the variants covered or are there more to search for? Also, aside from the longest of the bunch that has clear U.S.N. provenance how widely distributed was the use of these knives in the different branches?

Tim

Tim

Interesting collection, and a great question. I wonder and will be looking in for the answer my self.

Thank You

Tony

My wooden handle (cracked) with saw back.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for reminding me that there is a 'hybrid' with wooden handle and sawback blade. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

Tim

I need at least one of those for my collection, along with a Cattaraugus 225Q & a PAL RH37.

Yes, the Quartermaster knives like the Cattaraugus is another style I really like. There is something about their big, beefy, short-n-stocky appearance that says these are 'serious' knives for 'serious' jobs :thumbsup: .

Tim

Horseclover

I believe there is at least one more variant during WWII that had a slightly curved blade but in proportion of the top one shown ( that one shown here a Type I, as I have come to know them). I think it still circulates on Ebay.

My dad had a long one, as shown above here and was an electrician mate on the U.S.S. Dayton. The knife disappeared late in his life ut I remember iot well from my childhood and borrowing it during my scout years. He had removed the butt plate and replaced it with a smaller washer. That, long before I knew what I was looking at. It is not clear if he bought it when boarding as the Dayton went training in the Caribbean or whether it had been part and parcel of issue. His two bladed electrician folder was still around into the 1960s-1970s as well but of little interest to me back then.

I read the steel is not great but I remember it always blazing sharp and as tough as other knives I remember from my youth. light for its size.

Cheers

GC

Hello Tim, nice collection. EGW knives are among my favourites, I think it will be difficult to know how many variants exist? They are coming in different length, with wooden or leather handles, sawback blades,... This is what I have found so far.

post-8590-1332618513.jpg

Horseclover

This is the other I remember as having more belly to the profile and lacking the "type one" notch long one that preceded the sawback and cap lift additions.

Ebay Item number: 120877305524

Then the mess kit version

Ebay Item number: 250960525531

post-55097-1332791732.jpg

post-55097-1332791800.jpg

• 1 year later...

Tim,

Although there are a lot of these knives around, they are not seen often in period photos. Just recently I found this one of TBM crews going over the plan of action in the battle of Okinawa. I thought about you; so, here it is. Enjoy!

post-70-0-39444900-1373460852.jpg

...or am I still missing some? I did not set out to collect all the variants of the E.G. Waterman fighting knives available during WWII, but it just seems to have turned out that way :ermm: :think: .

Here are the 3 I have thus far -

compositeof3EGWknives.jpg

compositehandlegripcomparison.jpg

compositebladecomparison.jpg

What I am particularly struck by is the variation in blade length, the longest being 7-1/2", the smallest being 5", and the medium length one being 6-1/4".

So, do I have all the variants covered or are there more to search for? Also, aside from the longest of the bunch that has clear U.S.N. provenance how widely distributed was the use of these knives in the different branches?

Tim

I have the bottom one/short one with leather handle....

• 8 months later...
Horseclover

I had picked up a fresh ist model last year and meant it to be a replacement in my heart for my dad's which went missing years ago. I ended up selling that one to a fellow enthusiast, foguring I would always get around to finding another. With a fair amount of down time and itches this past spring, I aquired not just one or two but a pair of each that appeal. Here are a couple of pictures to start with and in time will post of the roughest once cleaned up a bit (even though as is that one with all the spacers has a lot of character. Both of the lighter and meaner bellied examples have those aluminum spacers but one more than the other.

There is also a weird piggyback set on ebay right now I have not downloaded images of yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301127450736?

Now is the time I think if interested in these. The prices from resellers are going over the c note level and the bargains dwindling in numbers.

alp26d.jpg

The variety of scabbards interesting to and as mI see them on so many, really do think most are original to the first purchase. I kind of wish there was an easy way to make sure one being bought is not from the post war years.

2gw89ir.jpg

Cheers

GC