USN Twist of Fate in the Coral Sea

Charles68

My Dad was a Sailor.

He was not on a Battlewagon or a flat top.

You never hear of his ship, The U.S.S. Mauna Loa.

Ships of her class were all named after volcanoes. She was an Ammo Ship.

I notice that most history focuses on the big jocks of the battlefield.

Big broad strokes about 4 Carriers here, or 3 Battleships there.

Somehow a lot of floating steel and big rifles gets people's blood running hot.

But there are compelling stories, that are as riveting as any, and almost nobody will ever know the details of these events.

Here is a link to a practically unknown pair of US Ships, one of whom survived being moored in battleship row on 7 Dec '41.

No marching bands and parades here. The flags are at half staff, and the bugles blow taps.

Remember the men of The U.S.S. Sims, and the Original U.S.S. Neosho

http://www.delsjourney.com/uss_neosho/neosho_home.htm

Very interesting story which a lot of people on here should read (even if their field of interest - like mine - is not US Navy PTO).

Thanks for sharing this.

You are correct; these men should not be forgotten and surely earned their place in history.

Erwin

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Garandomatic

I have half a war room full of respect for the lesser-thought of ships, DDs, DEs, various landing craft. Not sure if I have an ammo ship man's uniform though. Most of my almost 50 Navy uniforms are far from Battleship or Carrier men!

I bet it every ammo ship man was very well aware of the irony of their class of ship being named after volcanoes...

• 8 years later...
Steve watts

Charles68 ... My grandfather served on AE8 Mauna Loa 1943-1946.  He passed in 1961 and there are basically no known family stories from his USN days.  I have a few artifacts from his time on the ship but I'd like to connect with other decendants of AE8 shippies.  Let me know if you'd like to linkup off line.

Also considering starting an AE8 facebook group to help connect people related to AE8 service.  Maybe more photos and battle stories will surface if we can connect the right people.