15th AAC Army Air Corps Uniform Gunner uniform

American Heritage

American Heritage

This is a nice uniform, unfort. unnamed but I am researching the laundry mark now to try to find a name for this gunner. :think:

I'm primarily a USMC collector but still love the Air Corps stuff but my knowledge is limited on these items. Any help or assistance in explaining the insignia is appreciated - such as overseas hashmarks and service stripes and length of time per hashmark for example - to make sure I confirm my guesses.

post-10864-1331955661.jpg

CNY Militaria

You have a ribbon bar denoting-- Army Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign, and European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign with three campaign stars. The gold bars are overseas bars, each one representing 6 months overseas (2.5 yrs on this individual). the diagonal stripes are service stripes, showing he had been in for at least six years. He is either missing an American Defense ribbon or a WWII Victory ribbon on his bar because of this time stretch.

since he doesnt have a "ruptured duck" on the jacket doesnt it mean that he most likely stayed in the service for a while after the war? that would mean he whas the WW2 victory ribbon missing.

since he doesnt have a "ruptured duck" on the jacket doesnt it mean that he most likely stayed in the service for a while after the war? that would mean he whas the WW2 victory ribbon missing.

That's possible, but in many cases the Ruptured Duck just wasn't applied. As with anything else on a uniform, some guy's put them on, and some guy's didn't. Just like I'd be willing to bet that with a bare minimum of 6 years service, this guy probably qualified for a few more ribbons. He either didn't put them on, or they were misplaced, simply didn't care, or a multitude of other reasons. If this guy spent at least 2 1/2 years in Italy with the 15th AF as an Air Gunner, he should have a handful of Air Medals, but the above mentioned reasons hold true here as well.

That's possible, but in many cases the Ruptured Duck just wasn't applied. As with anything else on a uniform, some guy's put them on, and some guy's didn't. Just like I'd be willing to bet that with a bare minimum of 6 years service, this guy probably qualified for a few more ribbons. He either didn't put them on, or they were misplaced, simply didn't care, or a multitude of other reasons. If this guy spent at least 2 1/2 years in Italy with the 15th AF as an Air Gunner, he should have a handful of Air Medals, but the above mentioned reasons hold true here as well.

As another possibility he might have been on HQ duty even though he was a qualified aerial gunner. Could also have been grounded for any number of reasons. These reasons could account for the lack of Air Medals etc.

Ray