Rare? Definitely Uncommon...

swag

Ok helicopter guys, who remembers this item? First one to correctly ID this item wins a "Kudo!" Bonus points for the nickname of this item.

post-2757-1331953197.jpg

Corpl. Cleaver

Isn't it for loosening and tighting screws on compartment covers??

And if you squint it looks like a dick and balls.... maybe I'm just perverted...

Isn't it for loosening and tighting screws on compartment covers??

And if you squint it looks like a dick and balls.... maybe I'm just perverted...

And Cleave wins the prize! Its a Zeus fastener tool. A useful tool, but one that always seemed to be as rare as chicken lips.

The nickname question is still up for grabs. *hint* it was named in part to its close similarity of a famous cartoon character.

son of desertrat
And Cleave wins the prize! Its a Zeus fastener tool. A useful tool, but one that always seemed to be as rare as chicken lips.

The nickname question is still up for grabs. *hint* it was named in part to its close similarity of a famous cartoon character.

Mickey Mouse tool? Or something like that?

Keenan

Yep, snoopy tool. Got two of them, one with plastic handles and one with nothing but the steel body.

Correct! Snoopy tool. Cleave gets partial Kudo... Cleave, do you want the "Ku" or the "do"? haha

And to everyone who participated, y'all receive a High-5! Thanks for playing!

I've been around a lot of Zeus fasteners on C-5's and I have never seen one of these before. Are you guys referring to coin slot screws?

-Ski

Cobrahistorian

Just for posterity, the correct name for that type of fastener is "DZUS", but is pronounced "Zeus".

Just for posterity, the correct name for that type of fastener is "DZUS", but is pronounced "Zeus".

OK, I see what you are talking about. We call these camlock fasteners even though we don't have coinslot versions like this on the plane. The Zeus fasteners we have on C-5's are hollow and engage a spring loaded nutplate. They are found on the Pitch Trim Actuator Panel on top of the T-Tail and on the SAR panels on the lower sides of the wings on both sides of the engine pylons. You always brought extras with you if you were going on top of the T-Tail. If you drop them, it is a LONG trip back down the T-Tail and out of the aircraft to retrieve them from the ground 65 feet below!

-Ski

post-3043-1331993949.jpg

The snoopy tool is most useful when opening the tail rotor drive shaft covers to inspect the drive shafts and couplings on many US helicopters. The UH-1 has a bundle of them. Also useful for removing the 42deg gearbox cover for servicing the 42deg gearbox. AH-1 Cobra was a lot alike. The fastners on the helicopters are not as aerodynamic as a C-5, the slot was actually raised up in a "pimple". Probably the same on many other helicopters, I was just most familiar with these two.

IH

Cobrahistorian

While the AH-64 has lots of Dzus type fasteners, they're all about the size of a regular screw, so a leatherman was always kept handy by pilots and ground crews alike. Lord knows I've fastened my share of popped fasteners at the top of the tail! The only place we had real Dzus fastners was on the pylons. For some reason the pylon fairings have the large-type ones.

While the AH-64 has lots of Dzus type fasteners, they're all about the size of a regular screw, so a leatherman was always kept handy by pilots and ground crews alike. Lord knows I've fastened my share of popped fasteners at the top of the tail! The only place we had real Dzus fastners was on the pylons. For some reason the pylon fairings have the large-type ones.

Same with the Blackhawk, most of the Zeus fasteners are regular slot head screwdriver size.

I acquired my Snoopy tool when I was in the guard, we were phasing out the Hueys for Hawks and I managed to sweet talk this one from the ALSE gal. hehehe

Fortunately on the Hawk, instead of Dzus or the smaller screw fasteners, the tail rotor drive shaft covers have a double head fastener so that you can open them with your fingers. The upper cowling for the tail rotor gear box cover has them small PIA fasteners. If you are lucky, you can use your thumb to get them in place, otherwise, they are nearly impossible to get in place.

Fortunately on the Hawk, instead of Dzus or the smaller screw fasteners, the tail rotor drive shaft covers have a double head fastener so that you can open them with your fingers. The upper cowling for the tail rotor gear box cover has them small PIA fasteners. If you are lucky, you can use your thumb to get them in place, otherwise, they are nearly impossible to get in place.

hahaha...I could usually get them back in place with my thumb, but for those stubborn ones I'd inform the CE since I didn't have a leathermen or screwdriver in my pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont forget if the 60 D/S covers finger DZEUS breaks for any reason it turns into a flat head fastener so you can still open the cover until you change it out ;) . Gotta love Sikorsky!!

Brandon

clippedwings

You cannot be a serious wingnut without a few of these in your collection. :w00t: I got both of these fastners on the internet a few years back. The DuzAll Flight Wrench has the North American Aviation logo in the lower left corner. The Dzus fastner has 'AIR CORPS' on both sides of the handles.

post-3317-1332883813.jpg

post-3317-1332883829.jpg

My father was an instructor pilot on T-33 and T-37 aircraft at Vance AFB. He had one of those flight wrenches although it's not marked with the NA logo. For some time I could not figure out what the slotted end was until he told me it was for opening fuel tank caps to be sure they had been topped off. I still have it, I carried it in my helmet bag for emergency use while employed by Uncle Sam's Army.

IH

Spathologist
I could not figure out what the slotted end was until he told me it was for opening fuel tank caps to be sure they had been topped off.

Whoa! Epiphany!

The fuel caps give me an inordinate amount of trouble. I've even had to have a fingernail removed from trying to open/close the things. That wrench would be perfect...I'm on the prowl, now!