Some of my "goodies".
Bfryar44

post-96964-0-28020600-1436748726.jpg

post-96964-0-28691100-1436748727.jpg

post-96964-0-27081700-1436748728.jpg

post-96964-0-81302300-1436748728.jpg

post-96964-0-34282600-1436748729.jpg

post-96964-0-84302800-1436748729.jpg

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an impressive collection of hygene products. You did forget one important product that according to my dad was used a lot during severe cold weather conditions......gasoline. I asked dad once about personal bathing and hygene during the Bulge and winter conditions. He said sometimes you went weeks without "bathing" and replacing worn uniforms. He added that your collars and cuffs would get shiny black from grime wearing the same clothes weeks on end. What they did to clean them was to rinse their shirts in gasoline. It seemed to cut the built up black body grime quickly and then the shirts would be hung out to dry. Once dry, the soldiers would take a sharp knife and scrape the collar and cuffs to raise the nape of the wool to make them somewhat fuzzy. This made them a bit warmer and since everyone smelled the same, the gasoline smell didn't bother anyone.

just thought you would enjoy the extremes some went to,

Greg

My collection is strictly what my dad brought back from the ETO.

Sgt. Mahlon E. Sebring, 82nd Airborne, 319th Glider Field Artillery, A Battery - Normandy, Holland, The Bulge, and Germany... finishing with occupation duty in Berlin

http://ww2-airborne....ts/319/319.html

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Funny you should mention that, a local 42nd ID vet recently told me the same thing about their uniforms being filthy from body oils etc. He said that after the winter of 44/45 his uniform was literally rotting off of him.

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

This cute hygiene kit is called a JEEPAK and has all kinds of goodies in it like a styptic pencil, wooden manicure stick and nail file. The rubberized, cloth, outer case has gotten stiff, but contents are still unused. I just never try to close it up, but keep it open and flat.

post-299-1169321873.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

dead link

dwiv

This thing has been sitting in my collection for a long time. It could be 40s but maybe it is 50s. All I know it that it once belonged to a "D. A. Burns". The boxes still smell of the stuff that was once in them. Anyone who has more info, feel free to post it.

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 2 months later...

Amazing post and thanks to all for sharing your collections. Here are some photos of battlefield dug up material to show you the same things found today in old US positions! All were found North of Saint Lo in 29th division, 175th Rgt positions. The area was a rest area a few steps from the front line.

2vugbjk.jpg

lot of razors found in one foxhole

2pr5w7r.jpg

43oiidu.jpg

4hvycfs.jpg

30nhn9v.jpg

4g9enq1.jpg

In memory of S/Sgt Sherwood H. Hallman (PA) F co, 175th Rgt, 29th division, BSM, PH w/olc (wounded in action june 8th in Normandy), MEDAL OF HONOR for action at Ilioc farm, Plouzané Sept 11 1944, KIA near Fort Keranroux, Brest Sept 14 1944. His son Sherwood Hallman II wearing the Medal. All my love to my adoptive family in Pennsylvania USA and to all my veteran friends.
You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Just found in the foxhole:

48ckilu.jpg

After cleaning:

4fy1utz.jpg

2my6mmc.jpg

Tooth brush "Made in England" found in it's plastic box:

2nitvn7.jpg

Sorry the photos are not digitals. I did not have the digit camera when I found this stuff.

In memory of S/Sgt Sherwood H. Hallman (PA) F co, 175th Rgt, 29th division, BSM, PH w/olc (wounded in action june 8th in Normandy), MEDAL OF HONOR for action at Ilioc farm, Plouzané Sept 11 1944, KIA near Fort Keranroux, Brest Sept 14 1944. His son Sherwood Hallman II wearing the Medal. All my love to my adoptive family in Pennsylvania USA and to all my veteran friends.
You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 3 months later...
post-344-1169078320.jpg

In my collection I have a set of unused WWII 'Ear Wardens', when I opened the carton last year to look at the contents I found an extra carton flap with the name of the lady who packed it 60 odd years ago. I think she had included it as a way of finding a pen friend in the forces. The lady's details are ' Clara Martucci, 1914 ???????, Erie, Pa'. Sorry I cannot make out the street name. I did contact some young lady at the 'Erie Times' but I don't think she could grasp the story that it had taken 60 odd years for this lady's little morale booster to come to light. I would have loved to follow it up and return the item to her children if they could be traced, or does anyone in the group know a reporter at the Erie Times that would like to do a little story on this one. Have a look at the attached photo image.

According to anywho.com, there are 7 listings in Erie,PA for people with the last name of Martucci. It's a long shot, but who knows?

Judges 1:19- And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Some of the various personal items that I have.
I am always on the hunt for more.

DEAD LINK

DWIV 7-12-15

"The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

I'm sure it has been stated before now but for the newer members, you see condoms a lot in these hygiene kits. Granted the American G.I.s had as much testosterone as anyone else, but dad has told me he would grab them by the handful when offered and keep them in his barracks bag to be used to blouse his pants over his jump boots. He always laughs when he remembers his future Mother-in-Law seeing them in the bottom of the bag. Dad said she never said a word about them. This was before dad married my mother.

Greg

My collection is strictly what my dad brought back from the ETO.

Sgt. Mahlon E. Sebring, 82nd Airborne, 319th Glider Field Artillery, A Battery - Normandy, Holland, The Bulge, and Germany... finishing with occupation duty in Berlin

http://ww2-airborne....ts/319/319.html

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have a question, the Dr. West's toothbrushes came in differente colors but was the box always the same with the green toothbrush printed on or was there for every color a different box.

THX a lot,

Joachim

• 5 weeks later...
post-344-1169078320.jpg

In my collection I have a set of unused WWII 'Ear Wardens', when I opened the carton last year to look at the contents I found an extra carton flap with the name of the lady who packed it 60 odd years ago. I think she had included it as a way of finding a pen friend in the forces. The lady's details are ' Clara Martucci, 1914 ???????, Erie, Pa'. Sorry I cannot make out the street name. I did contact some young lady at the 'Erie Times' but I don't think she could grasp the story that it had taken 60 odd years for this lady's little morale booster to come to light. I would have loved to follow it up and return the item to her children if they could be traced, or does anyone in the group know a reporter at the Erie Times that would like to do a little story on this one. Have a look at the attached photo image.

This posting is old but I just stumbled upon it.

I was able to find information about Clara Martucci and her husband Giovanni/John. It doesn't seem appropriate to post the information in a reference section though.

donation2010.gif
This posting is old but I just stumbled upon it.

I was able to find information about Clara Martucci and her husband Giovanni/John. It doesn't seem appropriate to post the information in a reference section though.

Hi Emeraldbat, thanks for joining in on this post and your possible information on Clara Martucci, I have just sent you a private email. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks to PvtTamura I was able to purchase the bag off of him to complete my hygiene kit. Here are a couple of pics. :thumbsup:

dead link

dwiv

Edmund Burke

• 4 months later...

Here is another one that I reciently picked up and put together. This one is rubberized and ties around the waste for easy access.

DEAD LINK

DWIV 7-12-15

Edmund Burke

• 4 years later...

Cool! I LOVE this section! I actually have one of those Militalic mirrors.

Dedicated to my great grandfather, Pvt. Harry E. Stevenson, of Detachment 6, 166th Signal Photographic Company, 5th Infantry Division, 3rd Army.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times, easy times create weak men, weak men create hard times" -Unknown

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.