WWII Hygiene Kits and Personal Gear

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-344-1168982835.jpgGI-Cop / Martyn, I think you should stop hanging around with those sailors, no joking aside that's some very nice stuff you have there, and lots of it different to the Army items.

I am attaching a photo of an unissued toothbrush the last one in the carton of issue, the handle is marked up ' DuPont - Park Avenue - Bristled with Nylon'. What was really interesting for me was to actually dig up the exact same manufacture brush in Bastogne about five years ago. So I keep these two in the carton to show pre-issue and an issued one. Cheers ( Lewis )

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

post-344-1169078320.jpg

In my collection I have a set of unused WWII 'Ear Wardens', when I opened the carton last year to look at the contents I found an extra carton flap with the name of the lady who packed it 60 odd years ago. I think she had included it as a way of finding a pen friend in the forces. The lady's details are ' Clara Martucci, 1914 ???????, Erie, Pa'. Sorry I cannot make out the street name. I did contact some young lady at the 'Erie Times' but I don't think she could grasp the story that it had taken 60 odd years for this lady's little morale booster to come to light. I would have loved to follow it up and return the item to her children if they could be traced, or does anyone in the group know a reporter at the Erie Times that would like to do a little story on this one. Have a look at the attached photo image.

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

post-344-1169162521.jpg

Here is a tin of WWII boot polish specifically for Marine use.

post-344-1169306380.jpg

I am attaching a photograph of WWII U.S. Army combs. This will help illustrate the designations' Standard', Substitute Standard', and ' Limited Standard'. In this case it is ' 'Substitute Standard'. The stock numbers are identical, however logically I believe the longer comb to be the earlier issued example, this was more costly to produce due to the length and the ' gold block' lettering on the side, it was made of brittle hard plastic. The shorter one is made of softer plastic and has ' Un-Breakable' molded into the side, and does have some amount of bend to it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.