ACH with the trimmings

NickD

i do like a good salty well used lid normally but i just love the way these helmets look new & unused plus there may come a time when this type of rig is just as sort after as mint M-1's :thumbsup:

Hey Nick, I LOVE IT!!!! (I had to go check my helmet display shelves to see if you took my ACH! ) :laughing1:

123rd.jpg

I did the same as you did and put it together myself from parts on ebay. If you watch the auctions for the newer military gear the prices are all over the place and you can find some deals. I had less than $100 into this one and I've seen them listed for $300 firm. Sometimes the search is half of the fun. I actually bought the bare helmet by itself from a guy I had bought from before. I wanted to find all of them with the third Inf Div patches. My wife's father lied about his age in 1945 and joined the army when he was sixteen because he was afraid he'd miss out. He went straight into harms way, but he said the concentration camps they discovered were unbelievable and affected him more than anything he had been through. He stayed in Germany after the war ended and he was some kind of security or MP for the trials. Her dad passed away when about five years ago and her mother died right afterward. Really tough times.

I looked all over the place and found a picture of him with his patches showing proudly. This is the first time Ive tried to attach a photo directly from my hard drive and I'm not sure this is correct, but I'm giving it a try.

At least I know now how to get everything together correctly on the helmet! I felt like I was all thumbs getting the new cover situated and the straps passed through correctly before having to scew them to the shell. That four point harness was a pain for me when I was re-assembling it. I had to drill the holes for the rhino mount too, but kevlar drills through fairly easy.

Personally, I don't like 'salty' gear or guns for that matter at all. I prefer to buy the best condition I can find or afford. In the 60+ years after WWII there's no telling where gear and guns get beat up. To me they're just that - beat up. Often they were worth very little, and people would buy a surplus gun or gear and then throw it behind the seat of their pick-up truck to bounce around on bare metal, and then only come out if the happened to see a coyote. Of course everyone has there own opinions and preferences and no body is right or wrong with this preference. :thumbsup:

post-8584-1331986285.jpg

thanks Harlan you have some great looking lids there with a nice touch that they have a kind of a family link with the patched covers :thumbsup:

luckily i never had to drill any holes in mine but im with you on the chin strap when i was attaching the chin strap on my other ACH http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=138507 it was a right nightmare :wacko: