WWII 92nd Bomb Group 327th sqd Pilot Grouping

devincu

I just picked this up today and thought I would post. Small but nice little grouping from Don G. Peters. From what I have found so far he was a pilot with the 92nd bomb group 327th squadron in the 8th AAF during WWII. In the picture he is the thrird from the left and I assume that the bomber that he was flying went down because on the back he has written all the names of his crew members and all but him and one other name were either killed or taken as a P.O.W. Any info you guys might be able to add would be great!

post-59872-1331861006.jpg

Very nice find! :)

I tried to look for some more information and on the Enlistment Records at NARA I found only one person with his name, and by coincidence his file listed that that person served with the Air Corps, so it might be the same person. If it is I also managed to find this about the same person as of the Nara Enlistment Record on the Find a Grave website;

He was born in Detroit, Michigan to Albert and Viola Loosemore Peters.

He married Irene Porter. She preceded him in death on Jan. 15, 2004.

He served with the Army Air Corps during WW II. He then served in the reserves until 1955. He was a B17 pilot where he served in 35 missions. He received the awards of Air Medal of Honor with five–;oak leaf clusters and the ETO Ribbon with two silver stars.

On the National WWII Memorial Website I found this about him;

SERVED ON 35 MISSIONS WITH THE 8TH AIR FORCE, 92ND BOMB GROUP, 327TH SQUADRON. MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY 1091 PILOT.

Thanks! I bet that is him because he was from Detroit. I wish I could see the name of their Bomber in the picture...it would make research a lot less challenging! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I bet that is him because he was from Detroit. I wish I could see the name of their Bomber in the picture...it would make research a lot less challenging! :thumbsup:

I also found this, which might be of some use. :)

post-12867-1331864955.jpg

The aircraft he was on during that mission was the B-17 "Insomnia", Serial Number 43-38396 of the 327th Bombardment Squadron, 92nd Bombardement Group.

I also found this, which might be of some use. :)

post-12867-1331864955.jpg

The aircraft he was on during that mission was the B-17 "Insomnia", Serial Number 43-38396 of the 327th Bombardment Squadron, 92nd Bombardement Group.

Yes this is very helpful...thank you. At least I know the name of his bomber now!! ;)

Johnny Signor

All thier Squadron's emblem had the cartoon figure of "Alley Oop" on various dinosaurs, their sqd patch in the photo is the 327th "Alley" is on the back of a T-rex and he's holding a bomb ready to throw it , the 325th had Alley riding the back of a sabre tooth tiger and he holds a club,the 326th has him on a dinosaur not sure type with a bomb wrapped in ti's curled tail and Alley w/club, and the 407th had Alley riding a Taradactyl(spelling?) that has two bomb tied to his tail and Alley holding one bomb ready to drop/throw.

The Group was a squared shield w/taradactyl in flight and a scroll at bottom w/Higher-Stronger-Faster" .

Johnny

For more info you should try contacting the current 92nd Bomb Group reunion site/s,I'm sure they should be able to ehlp with the backgrounds on the crews ,especially with the names being on the photo .

• 11 months later...

To Whom it may concern: in my family research I have uncovered some information that is pertinent to this thread and if the original poster is still interested I can pass this information on throught this website. But the facts are that during a bombing mission to Nurnburg, Germany on October 3, 1944, one of our B17 was hit and brought down, colliding with another of our B17 (the Insomnia), taking most of it's right wing off. The co-pilots of the Insomnia struggled to keep the plane under control but it began spiraling down and exploded in mid-air. 2 of the crew were blown clear of the plane and they were able to deploy their chutes but when they landed they were quickly surrounded by civilians with knvies and German military. They were captured and spent the remainder of the War in a German POW camp. From the other B17 only one survivor who was executed by German soldiers, presumably for having a weapon on his self when he was captured.

The photo that you have posted is of the regular crew....you will notice that on 3 of the names the word "luck" is written. These 3 were replaced for this mission due to injuries they suffered in prior engagements.

God Bless these young men as they sacrificed their lives for our Great Nation. God Bless America.

• 4 weeks later...

My name is Bob France, first of all it is an honor to be part of this forum, replying to the picture and information of the 327th bomb group. You see in the photo on the extreme left, front row, is my uncle Ssgt.Philip L. Chiofilo. He was the ball turret gunner on the Insomnia. I have done some research on this subject trying to find out exactly what happened on that day. Ihave a copy of the MACR, which gives me some idea as to the events that brought that plane down. It's kind of scribbleish, but the MACR states my uncle was buried in a cemetery in nurnburg, germany. I'd like to be able to verify this if possible. I do know for sure an empty casket came home, which my grandmother never knew about. I am in the process of keeping my uncle's memory alive by writing a documented report for all of my family. I hope any additional informatiom i can receive will be greatly appreciated, thanks for any help, and thanks for posting this. BOB

• 9 years later...

Well, well, well!  I sure wish I had seen this a few years ago.

My father was a crew member and is pictured second from the left in the front row in the photo here that starts this thread.  His name was John Boisseau and he was the top turret gunner in that B17.  I've done a LOT of research, and there is not time or space here to give it all but, let me start with a document that I compiled to help summarize and explain this crew photo.  I will attach it as a Word Document and also "paste" it below.

===========================================

Regarding John Boisseau (b. 1917) B-17 Flight Crew Photo

(as shown in the accompanying photo) [the photo at the top of this thread]

The "Insomnia" (#43-38396) 327th Bomber Squadron, 92nd Bomber Group, U.S. Army Air Force

The original nine-man crew of T/Sgt. John E. Boisseau’s B-17 are pictured here and consisted of:

BACK ROW, Left to Right: 1st Lt.  Edmund L.  Dornburgh (Pilot); Lt.  Herschel Crowly (Navigator); Lt. Don Peters (Co-Pilot); Lt. Charles Robert Walter (Bombardier). 

FRONT ROW, Left to Right: S/Sgt. Phillip L. Chiofilo (Ball Turret Gunner); T/Sgt. John E. Boisseau (Flight Engineer / Top Turret Gunner); S/Sgt. Laurence W. Chappell (Tail Gunner); Sgt. Phillip Bear (Waist Gunner); T/Sgt. William T. Barrett (Radio Operator). 

On October 3, 1944, while enroute from England for a bombing mission over Nuremberg Germany, T/Sgt. Boisseau’s B-17 (#43-38396) collided with another B-17 (#43-38445) of their squadron.  Boisseau’s plane exploded with the all the crew members still inside.  Boisseau and Walter were thrown clear and parachuted to earth.  Boisseau landed between two runways on a German airfield near Giessen, Germany, and Walter landed elsewhere on that same airfield.  They were both promptly taken into custody as prisoners of war.

Co-pilot Don Peters, navigator Herschel Crowly, and waist gunner Phillip Bear were absent from that October 3, 1944 mission, due to injuries from previous missions.  Substituting for them that day was:

1st Lt. Morris D. Jay (substitute Co-Pilot)

1st Lt. Wallace W. Bengson (substitute Navigator)

Sgt. Frederick W. Carter (substitute Waist Gunner)

Two additional crew members (and possibly a third) of T/Sgt. Boisseau’s B-17 were also thrown clear and parachuted safely to earth.  They were joined by Franklin Adams of the other B-17 (#43-38445) with which they had collided.  The three were taken into custody by the local police and then handed over to “the Party” (Gestapo) and executed only a few hours after they were captured.  These three men were:

1st Lt.  Edmund L.  Dornburgh (Pilot)

1st Lt. Wallace W. Bengson (substitute Navigator)

S/Sgt. Franklin W. Adams (Waist Gunner from the “OTHER” B-17 (#43-38445)

Only T/Sgt. John E. Boisseau and Lt. Charles Robert Walter of the "Insomnia" (#43-38396) survived this mission.  They both spent eight months in a German prison camp.  On May 14, 1945 they were liberated and shortly thereafter came home to America.  It appears S/Sgt. William C. Stretton (Flight Engineer) of the second B-17 (#43-38445) was the only one of his crew to survive.  He too became a prisoner of war.

- - READ ME - Names of Flight Crew on John Boisseau's B17.docx

Here is retouched copy of the same crew photo that was posted at the beginning of this thread.  It is the B-17 crew of the "Insomnia" (#43-38396) 327th Bomber Squadron, 92nd Bomber Group, U.S. Army Air Force, which includes my father John Boisseau in the front row second from the left.

1091898843_-BoisseauJohnb.1917WW2FlightCrewretouched-floorfixed(466KBJPEG).jpg.50386f6b572d406a5608e0f9670cf263.jpg

On 3/15/2012 at 9:23 PM, devincu said:

I just picked this up today and thought I would post. Small but nice little grouping from Don G. Peters. From what I have found so far he was a pilot with the 92nd bomb group 327th squadron in the 8th AAF during WWII. In the picture he is the thrird from the left and I assume that the bomber that he was flying went down because on the back he has written all the names of his crew members and all but him and one other name were either killed or taken as a P.O.W. Any info you guys might be able to add would be great!

post-59872-1331861006.jpg

devincu,

Are you still monitoring this site?  I'd very much like to converse with you regarding your find of documents from Don G. Peters.  My father was the bombardier on that same B-17 with  Lt. Don Peters (Co-Pilot) and was one of only 2 people to survive that ordeal on October 3, 1944, the other person being Lt. Charles Robert Walter (Bombardier).  Such documents as these are not readily available and I would be DELIGHTED to find out more about my father and his crew members.  Please contact me.

Tom

37 minutes ago, Tom B. said:

devincu,

Are you still monitoring this site?  I'd very much like to converse with you regarding your find of documents from Don G. Peters.  My father was the bombardier on that same B-17 with  Lt. Don Peters (Co-Pilot) and was one of only 2 people to survive that ordeal on October 3, 1944, the other person being Lt. Charles Robert Walter (Bombardier).  Such documents as these are not readily available and I would be DELIGHTED to find out more about my father and his crew members.  Please contact me.

Tom

Try sending them a personal message, that should generate an alert to their email.

1 minute ago, manayunkman said:

Try sending them a personal message, that should generate an alert to their email.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I just did as you suggested!

Thanks,

Tom