WM Officer's Service Cover Emblem

GLM

Hello All,

Several years ago, I acquired this service cover emblem and ribbon bar from the family of a local woman who had served as an officer in the Marine Corps during WWII and shortly after. The family was always going to find any paperwork on her they might have, but I haven't heard a peep from them in quite some time. Anyway, I had always heard the rumor that WM Officers did not have the rope on their service cover emblems and was wondering if anyone else has heard or seen this practice of the ropes being removed, and if so, for what purpose? The closest I have come to seeing any other emblems without the rope is this photo of Col. Streeter, borrowed from Jill Halcomb Smith's wonderful reference work, Dressed For Duty, Vol I. Sure looks like the rope is missing from the Colonels emblem to me.

BTW - Darrell, this is the rest of the group that came with the carded clutchback Pasquale collar emblems. Same source, but just got around to posting this one.

Hopefully, you can see in the photo that the rope was professionally snipped and filed from the anchor. Any other examples out there to share? I'm really curious as to why this was done by WM Officers.

s/f, Gary

post-84-1199080632.jpg

post-84-1199080672.jpg

post-84-1199080684.jpg

post-84-1199080704.jpg

post-84-1199080718.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Hi Gary, yes I do remember the PM topic, and glad to see it revived. This is perplexing, as I have never seen nor heard of such. "back in the day" I do remember some SNCO's, Mustang's and so forth taking liberties with such or personalizing items, certainly nothing along these lines. Perhaps there is something to these rumors. Bob started his career back then... perhaps he had heard or seen such a custom within the WM community? The photo clearly shows this had been done.

Sure hope some of the scheming types don't pick up on this... were likely to see a bunch of them show up on ebay all claiming to belong to Col Streeter... crying.gif

Happy New Year to everyone!

Have never heard of this????????/ But it sure looks as if Col. Streeter wore an unfouled emblem on her cover and the badge that Gary picked up confirms they existed. I'll see what I can find reference-wise. Perhaps it had something to do with USMCWR not being 'full-fledged' Marines ubtil 1948. Anyone have any WWII Uniform Regs for USMCWR? Certainly an interesting anomaly that needs to be followed up.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret

Hi all. Bob I have a copy of the 37' reg's from a Ret. Col. of the period w/ hundreds of hand written and taped in typed notes of the period. Upon looking at it this morning, found no reference to such. Were there separate reg's for WM's written in 48?

I can only assume that Uniform Regulations exist for the USMCWR though I don't have a copy. I would guess that in 1948 aside from the actual uniforms the wearing of the Marine insignia was the same as that for male Marines. The December 1944 National Geopgraphic insignia issue proscribes the same EGA insignia for both men & women. Thought I might have some further reference but haven't been able to lay hands on it. Someone has the scoop. Hopefully it will be revealed!

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

• 5 years later...
teufelhunde.ret

Always interesting to revive an old EGA thread with a new discovery - of sorts. This thread started by Gary during the first year of forum operation sadly did not reveal any further evidence of WM Officers during WW2 removing the anchor rope from their cover emblems, until recently.

I came across this photo of Lt. Col. Martrese Thek Ferguson ca 1945. Of note; she is the only known WM to have served in WW1 and WW2. Of special interest... once agin no anchor rope!!!

There are bits of info about the web addressing Directives from HQMC about the design, materails and such of these newly designed WM uniforms. Nothing addressing EGAs, begs the question again, did the WM Officers chose to do this one their own or was it directed? The new USMC regulations published in 1948 are void of any comment(s) on the topic of WM's removing anchor ropes?

Lt. Col. Martrese Thek Ferguson 1945.jpg