Seeking Information on Marine DCU/BDU's

coolcav20

I'm starting this thread on Marine BDU's and DCU's. I know there are alot of variations. When did they start wearing the U.S. Marines and name tapes and why do some have both the USMC/EGA Stencil and tapes while others have only the EGA with tapes. Thanks alot and post pictures if you have some. I haven't found too many on forum.

Here is my only one so far. I got his trousers, 8 point cover, boonie and pants as well. Its missing his pin rank but I know he was a Sergeant so I may add the rank if I can ever find a set.

post-50849-1331758848.jpg

Here's a set I had in the "for sale" section here that's still hangin' in the closet. I don't know too much about it, but it's complete, anyway...

S5008716.jpg

S5008718.jpg

S5008719.jpg

The use of name tapes and us marines started in the early 1980's. If I remember correctly it use to be just the EGA and USMC on the left pocket.

Sorry, I don't know anything about them, but I have a few I can show you.

im001791.jpgim001755.jpg

The date on this first one is a little hard to read. Luckily I found the matching pants and the date is easier to read on them. The pants are dated 1985, both pieces are named to same Marine. The weird thing is the shirt does not have a name tape but the pants do.

I'm not sure what happened with this next one.

im001819.jpgim001769.jpgim001770.jpg

The tag is unreadable so I cant give you a date it.

Has anyone ever seen the chocolate chip jackets with tapes on them?

The chocolate chips were not really worn past Desert Storm (1991) and early into Somalia (1992-1993). During Somalia there was the transition to the 3 color DCU desert camo (blouses and Trousers). There was a mix of chocolate chip as well as DCU used through out Somalia. It cant recall exactly , but I think it was late 1992 or some time in 1993 when name tapes were authorized on Marine utility uniforms (Camies). Buy the time the last group shipped out to somalia, they would not have time to procure name tapes and have them sewn on. I BELIEVE that there should not be any USMC name tapes on the Chocolate chip camies. Having said that is it possible that some Marines still had name tapes made up and put them on their chocolate chip camies, but not to likely.

S/F

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys I was arranging and sorting old pics on my computer and found I had a 6 color desert top with a U.S. Marines name tape. I forgot I had this one and can't remember where I picked it up.

It is a 1990 contract American Apparel. The name tape has been removed but a possible name Cala written in black on the size tag in the neck. Also something I can't make out blacked out under neck tag.

DSCI0856.jpg

DSCI0868.jpg

DSCI0872.jpg

DSCI0863.jpg

DSCI0864.jpg

DSCI0870.jpg

Best Regards

Allen

• 4 months later...