Anyone know this patch?

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone can ID this squadron patch?

It's on a named A-2 jacket with a really nice bullion 13th AF patch on the right shoulder. Just trying to figure out who its previous owner flew with.

Jon

post-5470-1331694025.jpg

Hmmm. You'd think a Disney designed patch would be easy to find. Hope you find an answer. I'm really curious now too!

Johnny Signor

Yeah , he asked me for an ID and I hadn't seen before either .................................................

Johnny

Saw mention on the USAF Museum site that there were 45 unit patches with Pluto in them. Donald Duck lead the pack with over 200

Cobrahistorian

I missed out on the jacket, but I'm definitely still interested in figuring this one out!

Johnny Signor

Yeah good ole Pluto was popular with the AAF/USN and I think a few Army ones as well , but Donald beat them out hands down also with the AAF/USN etc !

hey Jon sorry to hear you missed getting that one !

Cobrahistorian

Would have been nice, but oh well...

I emailed the AF History office at Bolling and they didn't have any info on it either. Too bad, it would have been cool.

Jon

Johnny Signor

If you haven't tried Maxwell AFB , that may be your best shot ! If it wasn't approved they "usually" don't have it on file, but once in awhile they do put away info on "unofficial" emblems, give em a try .

Johnny

Johnny Signor

uasfpatches.com usually doesn't have the WW-2 squadron/group types shown, they try to stay post 47 on onward .

Johnny

Cobrahistorian

Johnny,

Maxwell and Bolling have pretty much the same records, so if it's not at Bolling, chances are only slight that Maxwell would have it. My hunch is, this is an unofficial patch for the 18th Combat Mapping Squadron, but I haven't been able to prove it. Looking at 13th AF bomber and reconnaissance units, it would make sense since the 18th operated B-25s. However, since the 13th AF patch is on the right shoulder of this A-2, it could very well have been a stateside squadron that this particular aviator came back to as an instructor after a tour with the 13th AF.

Oh well....

Jon

Johnny Signor

Do you have any leads to the 18th CMS ,reunion people etc , maybe they could help ID , with it having the bomb in the design, it could possibly be a Bomber School type stateside too .

Maybe you should also try all the net "B-25" sites/unit reunion pages post the photo there and maybe someone will recognise it .

Also Army Air Forces.com if you haven;t tried that one yet .

• 3 months later...
Johnny Signor

ID "FOUND" Yayyyyyyyyyy the Crowd Goes wild ,Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The patch is a "Disney" design and is the 120th Bomber recon squadron of the RCAF WW2 , it is on a stamp in the Disney sticker booklets they made in Vol-1-4, and was stamp Number 166 in that series .

Johnny