Show your Engraved canteens, mess kits & other

teufelhund

Gentlemen

Here is a probable new interesting topic since the item to be displayed are engraved by men in the field and can maybe tell us more than dozen of books on what have been their sorrow , their fear, and joy expérienced overhere

81fhl4m.jpg

8b9o5so.jpg

8b7x2yr.jpg

6pe6v0i.jpg

6nvmgd5.jpg

82vjeoy.jpg

Teufelhund

Trench art messkit owned by F2c Robert O Bowen USN who was a POW in the Philippines . He was initially held at Cabanatuan POW camp and was liberated in the Philippines at Bilibid Prison . This kit was obtained from the estate of a different POW who was also himself at Cabanatuan .

After he left Cabanatuan, he was sent to POW Camp #11 ( Manila Port Area) and off-loaded ships as a POW . His previous service was on the USS John D. Ford and he also had a brother who was a POW captured on Guam. Both survived !

bowen.JPG

Greg Robinson

I own a 1918 dated canteen cup with etched markings on the bottom of the cup. The guy's name R T QUICK..... his hometown PITTSBURGH PA.....and USMC. The around the sides are some initials RTQ and USMC>

This belonged to Sgt. Frank Gaynor, 39th Inf. Regt. 4th Division. Killed in Action 1 October 1918 in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. Reads "Keep Me Full" and the soldier's name below. Battlefield find by my great-grandfather, Captain Oliver M. Salisbury, in 1918.

post-1949-1199254712.jpg

From the very recently opened museum of the Famed Baugnez Crossroad where 86 US soldier of the 285 Field Arty obs bat have been massacred by the SS kampmfgruppe Peiper on Dec 17 1944

6kiu8nb.jpg

I Will post other pics on this Splendid, tremendous , WONDERFULL Musueum later on... One of the best in Europe

T

And the meadow where the bodies of the 86 US massacred US soldiers where found when the region has been liberated for the second time.

A lot of emotion gents..picture was taking this morning Jan 2, 2008

You still may see a flowers bunch layed during the last commemoration , Dec 16th 2007

• 5 weeks later...

Ten years ago just about to the day I had the honor to go on a 2 week trip to Guadalcanal.

I was allowed special permission to bring back some finds. I say special permission as the Solomon Islands Govt doesn't allow relics to be removed from the islands. However the trip I was on was for the Solomons Govt and permission was granted through the trips organizer. Thanks Pete you know who you are.

The first shows a water bottle with the name "LINK" engraved in the front and bottom of it. It also shows a shrapnel hole in the front. The hole does not go trough the other side.

The map shows the location that I found the water bottle. It in the area of E Co. 35 Inf Regt during the reduction of the Gifu 22-23 Jan 1943.

The photograph- sorry for the flash- I had to take a pic of the pic as I do not have a scanner, shows the bottle in the location that I found it. it is the on on the left. Notice also the Garand clips, mess tin, 1903 rifle etc etc.

uniforms087.jpg

uniforms088.jpg

uniforms085.jpg

uniforms086.jpg

The second item is a mess tin that I recovered from the Marines battle of Bloody Ridge. It has the initials "R.A.S" engraved on the bottom of it. The other pics show the bullet hole that is in the mess tin. Its always made me think. The angle of the hole and its location are so that was struck it were being held up as if to eat from. If it were on the ground the bullet would not have entered at that angle.

If anybody has a roster of either the 35 Inf Regt or the Raider or Paramarines on Guadalcanal any further info would be appreciated.

uniforms089.jpg

uniforms090.jpg

uniforms091.jpg

uniforms092.jpg

• 2 years later...

Mess kit and cup from Major Hugh Baird JR, U.S. Army. He was in Australia and New Guinea also listed but hard to see are the cities he was in.

post-5367-1269979852.jpg

Mess kit and cup from Major Hugh Baird JR, U.S. Army. He was in Australia and New Guinea also listed but hard to see are the cities he was in.

post-5367-1269979887.jpg