WWII Field Phonograph

francesco-5th

francesco-5th

Hello everyone,

i’m buying a Water Conley Co. (Rochester – Minnesota) WWII Phonograph from an Italian seller, in perfect working condition…. sound great!

The question is about the needles.

I know that the needle must be change after about 7-8 playing.

The Phonograph in question have only few extra needles.

Where can i buy more needles that working with this type of phonograph?

I have heard of vary type of needles for different loudness… (very low, low, middleloud, loud, very loud)

Which type of neddles sound good on this type of phonograph?

Do you know some Sellers on Ebay? (US or Europe)

I need you help.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Francesco

:think: :think:

francesco-5th
Lots on ebay/Europe. Here's an example. # 170790510908

Thanks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

17thairborne

I did not realize the type of needle determined the volume. I have one of the Army Service phonograph and I must have the ultra-loud needle types. It's so loud that it causes the sound box to reverberate, almost distorting the sound to where you can't understand the lyrics. Since the phonograph was in need of some minor cleaning and repair, i checked the sound cavity, and it is not cracked or torn. i suspect I need to find some quieter needles.

I visited a stately home here in the UK a few weeks ago. The curator demonstrated a 1930s wind-up phonograph for me. There was a box of needles on the table alongside it. I was surprised when he said that each needle was good for less than 10 plays of the 78s!

Garandomatic

That blows my mind... I prefer vinyl, been replacing m CDs with it, and if it exists on 78, that's how I want it, by God. Thank goodness my more modern players don't have to be changed...

That blows my mind... I prefer vinyl, been replacing m CDs with it, and if it exists on 78, that's how I want it, by God. Thank goodness my more modern players don't have to be changed...

The needles were just like small nails...I expected to see a tiny spiral of shellac rise from the disc just ahead of the needle as it played! :w00t:

francesco-5th
I did not realize the type of needle determined the volume. I have one of the Army Service phonograph and I must have the ultra-loud needle types. It's so loud that it causes the sound box to reverberate, almost distorting the sound to where you can't understand the lyrics. Since the phonograph was in need of some minor cleaning and repair, i checked the sound cavity, and it is not cracked or torn. i suspect I need to find some quieter needles.

See the auction's description below for the different type of needles...

Ebay Europe

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: