USMCWR Uniform Grouping

MasonK

Hi All,

I thought I would share with you these recently acquired USMC Women’s Reserve uniforms. These were donated to the thrift shop I volunteer at.

All are named to the same women:

Name - Nancy Simons

SN – 48879

Through some digging on Ancestry, I was able to find the following article dated July 7th, 1947 from the Pottstown Mercury (Pottstown, PA). Being as our shop is in PA, I’m fairly certain the Nancy Simons in this article is the same Nancy Simons these uniforms belonged to.The article is announcing Nancy’s engagement to Elihu Spencer Miller however in addition to this, it mentions that she served with the USMCWR for 29 months.

post-29885-1331416875.jpg

From this article, I was able to find out additional information on her through Ancestry:

DOB – 4/16/1922 (Northumberland, PA)

DOD – 4/17/2001 (Roaring Gap, NC)

No other information related to her service, so next step is to send away to NARA.

In any case, here are Nancy's uniforms.

First up is her seersucker Summer Dress Uniform with Sgt rank insignia. Unfortunately, all buttons have been removed from the jacket.

post-29885-1331417031.jpg

Next is Nancy’s Winter Service Uniform, minus her jacket (whereabouts unknown), but also with Sgt stripes. These along with the remaining uniforms, all contain a similar sewn in name tag identifying Nancy.

post-29885-1331417158.jpg

Thanks, FS!

I'm really curious to see what NPRC is able to provide. Can anyone else share their feedback on records they have recieved for Women Marines?

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! I love these USMCWR Women!

I just picked one of these uniforms recently, glad you were able to trace her history!

Leonardo

Thanks to you both!

Hopefully NPRC can provide additional details, although I'm not holding my breath. I'm still waiting on a response for records I requested almost 2 months ago. They must be back logged due to all those people who purchased named items from the SOS! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

With the release of WWII USMC muster rolls on Ancestry, I was able to find additional information on Nancy.

Nancy enlisted March 16th, 1943.

After training, Nancy was sent to MCAS (Marine Corps Air Station) Edmonton in North Carolina to provide support for MOTG-81 (Marine Operational Training Group). Nancy's MOS on the muster rolls is listed as Operations Clearance Clerk, which I assume is Flight Operations Clearance Clerk?

Nancy made several rank advancements while at Edmonton:

October 1943 - Corporal

April 1944 - Sergeant

By April 1945, Nancy was transferred to the Aviation Women's Reserve Squadron 21 at MCAS Quantico in Virginia. Here, Nancy's MOS continued as Flight Operations Clearance Clerk. By July 1945, Nancy reached the rank of T/Sgt. No additional muster rolls appear after this.

One interesting note is in the April 1945 muster roll, Nancy was sent to MCAS Cherry Point to testify as a witness in a court martial. Of course, no details available on this.

I did send away to NPRC for her records, however received a letter stating her file was transferred to NARA and would require a fee of $60 to be released. I have a few other records I've requested where I received the same response, so when funds permit, I'll send away for them. In the mean time, the muster rolls have surely provided information I previously didn't have!

USMC Muster Rolls April 1943 - April 1944

post-29885-1340124200.jpg

Very interesting finds! Would be interesting to find out about that court martial. Wonder what that was about.

....Kat

PS. I like it even more that she was involved in Aviation! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, Kat! Yeah, I'm curious about the court martial as well. Considering she was only a witness in the trial, we'll probably never know the details.

I was quite enthused about the aviation link, as well. Makes it much more interesting group, not that it wasn't already!