How to date lot numbers?

Last week I happened to stop into a local gun store just to have a look around. To my surprise I found two 520rd M2 Ball spam cans covered in dust and hiding between some gun safes. The owner of the shop didn't have any info on them and seemed shocked I was interested in them. He offered both to me for $350 which I accepted, thats $0.30 per round.

The cans are early(?) unpainted, galvanized steel and are marked to Twin Cities. The lot numbers are 41154. Anyone know when it was made? I really don't want to break the seal on them to find out. I'm sure they're WWII but I'd like to have that confirmed.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Looking for anything relating to the 78th US Naval Construction Battalion during WWII and the 26th Inf. Regt. 1st Inf. Div. during WWII

What about WWII lot numbers? Did they just start at 1 and increase as time went by?

Looking for anything relating to the 78th US Naval Construction Battalion during WWII and the 26th Inf. Regt. 1st Inf. Div. during WWII

Lot numbers are not repeated to my knowledge.One reason for lot numbers was to track any ammunition that gave problems so it could be withdrawn from service.It's not WW2 ammo by that lot number.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.