AAF KIA Purple Heart Group

manayunkman

manayunkman

The family told me that SGT. Marx wasl shot down and killed over the North Sea. Can anyone confirm this ??

post-51189-1331358021.jpg

post-51189-1331358041.jpg

post-51189-1331358059.jpg

post-51189-1331358103.jpg

Donald L. Marx

ID: 36059272

Entered the Service From: Illinois

Service: U.S. Army Air Forces, 324th Bomber Squadron, 91st Bomber Group, Heavy

Died: Thursday, March 04, 1943

Buried at: Netherlands American Cemetery

Plot: J Row: 3 Grave: 5

Awards: Purple Heart

The aircraft belonged to USAAF 91 BG, 324 BS and was coded DF-K.

T/O 11:37 Bassingbourn. OP: Marshalling yards, Hamm.

The aircraft was attacked by German fighters west of the island of Texel and crashed into the sea killing all but one crew member. Flt. Engineer T/Sgt Randle Nettles survived to become a POW.

The body of Pilot 1st Lt Harold H. Henderson was found washed ashore on the island of Borkum and is believed to rest in USA.

Co-Pilot 2nd Lt Leslie B. Zubiri was found washed ashore near Blåvand on Skallingen on 27/6. He was laid to rest in Fovrfelt cemetery in Esbjerg on 29/6-1943. On 30 April 1948 Zubiri was disinterred and moved to the Ardennes American Cemetery in Neupre, Belgium.

Navigator 2nd Lt James S. La Rock was found washed ashore on Ameland, Holland and today rests in Ardennes American Cemetery in Neupre, Belgium.

Bombardier 1st Lt William J.B.Simpson was found near Pietersburen, Holland and is believed to rest in USA.

Radio operator T/Sgt Edward Corrigan was found washed ashore on the island of Sylt and today rests in Ardennes American Cemetery in Neupre, Belgium.

Ball gunner Sgt Hymen Philips has no known grave and is commemorated on Tablets of the Missing at Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Holland.

Waist gunner Sgt John F. Howorusz and Waist gunner S/Sgt James D. Burton has no known graves and is commemorated on Tablets of the Missing at Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Holland.

Tail gunner S/Sgt Donald L. Marx was recovered from the sea near Huisduinen, Holland and today rests in Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten Holland.

manayunkman

Many many thanks.

You guys are great.

I got this at the SOS 3 years ago. A younger man came into the show trying to sell a common German medal. I was the only one who paid any attention to him and he took me out to his car. The trunk was full with mostly TR. But he had this group from a relation. All he knew was that he was killed over the North Sea.

Now I know for sure and I am very happy to know.

BigJohn#3RD

Very nice group, it is great getting a picture of the fallen soldier but the hand written note to his wife adds a special touch :salute:

Thanks for sharing!

John

manayunkman
Below is the first page of the MACR. I tried to find a crew pic or nose art pic, but the plane was not named.

Thanks P.

I can not stress how much I appreciate the information I get from guys like you on this forum.

I never thought I would know more than the original info. I received.

M

• 3 months later...

Hi Guy's,

Here a picture of the grave of Donald L Marx at Margraten War Cemetery...

post-4399-1339590740.jpg

• 7 years later...
manayunkman

I got this group with Noel Bolinger at the SOS when we bought a trunk load out in the parking lot.

Many years ago