Pre-War USN Aircraft

Hawk914

The movie 'Dive Bomber' was released on DVD sometime in the last year and a half or so, but only in Europe from what I understand. Maybe it's since been released in the USA, I dunno.

Anyway, a European friend sent me some screengrabs from the film and I thought that some folks here might get a kick out of 'em.

In no particular order...

cap002.jpg

cap003.jpg

cap006.jpg

cap015.jpg

cap009.jpg

cap016.jpg

cap017.jpg

cap018.jpg

Fade to Black...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a Grumman F2F-1 assigned to VF-7. It flew as right wing in the sixth section of the squadron, as denoted by the yellow upper cowl. The black tail indicates that this squadron was attached to the air group aboard USS Wasp (CV-7).

F2F-1RtWngSec6Wasp001a.jpg

Image source: Usenet

Fade to Black...

This photo was taken aboard USS Texas (BB-35) in 1941. It shows one of the ship's OS2U Kingfisher scout planes in the overall scheme of Non-specular Light Gray, application of which was first called for by a BuAer directive issued on December 30th, 1940.

The source webpage for this image states that the photo was taken between January and August of 1941. However, widespread implementation of the aforementioned directive did not take place until after a follow-up directive had been issued in late February of 1941, so it's probable that this photo was actually taken no earlier than March of 1941.

USSTexas1.jpg

Image source Photo taken by LCDR Charles W. Moses

Fade to Black...

Here's a Grumman F2F-1 assigned to VF-7. It flew as right wing in the sixth section of the squadron, as denoted by the yellow upper cowl. The black tail indicates that this squadron was attached to the air group aboard USS Wasp (CV-7).

F2F-1RtWngSec6Wasp001a.jpg

Image source: Usenet

Fade to Black...

Great picture!!. Looks like it was taken at North Island

Bill

Great picture!!. Looks like it was taken at North Island

Thanks for the location ID!

I really like color pictures of the carrier personnel alot of very cool images turn up.

Me too, I'll have to see what else I can find along those lines...

Fade to Black...

• 1 month later...

Here's a nice set of three photos taken on November 15th, 1941, showing an SNJ-2 and a GB-2 at Cook County Airport in Illinois.

The first photo shows a Lt. Shannon and his father...

SNJCC001b.jpg

SNJCC002b.jpg

SNJGBCC001b.jpg

Charles Cushman photos

Fade to Black...

Thanks for the location ID!

Me too, I'll have to see what else I can find along those lines...

Fade to Black...

All of the ones that show a ridgeline in the back ground are taken at NAS North Island. This lone for instance, is looking roughly east across the bay. Those hills are directly above the San Diego International Airport:

cap016.jpg

If you see hills with buildings on them, that is Point Loma, directly across the San Diego Bay entrance channel from North Island. I think Dive Bomber even has shots of some hangers that are still are North Island. I believe these ones may be in the movie:

ch46-ch60-nasni.jpg

Dive Bomber's use of real locations gives it a nice historical value.

• 2 years later...
Johnny Signor

I have this movie on DVD, what I loved about it not to mention it being in GLORIOUS COLOR was the actual Sqduadron emblems being on the aircraft, usually the government would censor the emblems or have "Fake" unit emblems on them for security, but I guess this was just too early a time period before they started worrying about those things, wow thia was a great one for the Oldie-Glodie early Navy birds!!!!!!

How about those Brewster Buffoloes-AWWWWWWWWWSOMMMMMEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

This movie is a treasure trove of USN prewar aircraft and markings. I stayed up way too late one night just watching scene after scene.

I believe there are a couple other movies like that with vintage scenes of the fleet or US Army equipment, all made before wartime security and censorship.