Hand Embroidered Navy Rate And Other Rates

manayunkman

As the first to point out a flaw in Sarge Bookers chart, let me also be the first to say how much I appreciate the work he has done. He has put a whole lot of time and effort inot detailing Navy rates, much more than I would have. And, I have absolutely NO atristic skills what so ever. His work is well researched and thought out. I know that when we point out something that may be a bit off, it is not done as a criticisim, but more of a surprise. Thanks Sarge, great work.

Steve Hesson

As the first to point out a flaw in Sarge Bookers chart, let me also be the first to say how much I appreciate the work he has done. He has put a whole lot of time and effort inot detailing Navy rates, much more than I would have. And, I have absolutely NO atristic skills what so ever. His work is well researched and thought out. I know that when we point out something that may be a bit off, it is not done as a criticisim, but more of a surprise. Thanks Sarge, great work.

Steve Hesson

Steve,

I totally agree with you. Sarge has done a great job on doing illustrations on navy and the other services. Like the crows nest, love that publication. He also has put his time in to create a FREE web library. He's a very generous guy!

Jason

manayunkman

Thanks to everyone for their help. I am the least educated most successful collector I know.

Also the 1895 rates are off. The Pharmacists's mate rate change to the red cross in 1898. Here's some mid to late 1890's examples. I think the one I posted in post 19 looks similar to this style. Take notice how the eagle and tail feathers are postioned and how the chevrons are sewn on.

post-2501-1331386063.jpg

post-2501-1331386315.jpg

Jason

All, I agree, for 1895-1905 differences the eagle's tail feathers and the stitching used on the chevrons is the key to identification.

I also agree, Sarge Booker is a talented and generous guy.

-dan

All, I agree, for 1895-1905 differences the eagle's tail feathers and the stitching used on the chevrons is the key to identification.

I also agree, Sarge Booker is a talented and generous guy.

-dan

See there, we're all a bunch of good agreeable guys :thumbsup: . Not like those Army guys that have to pick at every little thread and detail :blink:

Steve Hesson

See there, we're all a bunch of good agreeable guys :thumbsup: . Not like those Army guys that have to pick at every little thread and detail :blink:

Steve Hesson

It might just be my perspective by the Army guys don't have so much variation from tailor made, home made and a bevy of manufacturers couple with so many blasted regulation changes to contend with. We're still in discovery mode as new examples continue to come to light. It is always cool yet disconcerting when the experts say things like, "cool! I've never seen that before." Makes things come crystal muddy.

It might just be my perspective by the Army guys don't have so much variation from tailor made, home made and a bevy of manufacturers couple with so many blasted regulation changes to contend with. We're still in discovery mode as new examples continue to come to light. It is always cool yet disconcerting when the experts say things like, "cool! I've never seen that before." Makes things come crystal muddy.

It's keeping an open mind and not simply "Poo Pooing" someting just because it doesn't fit into a box. It's just how Sailor are. I had a recruit one time who had spent a number of years in the Jamacian Army (they do have a pretty professiional Army, British in nature). In the beginning, Biggs was still doing the British Stomping of the foot when he did a facing movement, and popping his fist when he marched. I finially told him, Biggs, This is the Navy, the American Navy. We're Casual, we Stroll, not march. Where that is going is that some where, some Sailor did something that completely disreguards regs. either simply because he had no idea there was a reg (and no one around him knew either) or because he knew for a fact that it WAS against regs and did it just for Sh-ts and Giggles. OK, we are generally Scoff Laws who consider regs a loose set of guide lines to fall back on if you can't figuer it out on your own. That came from my first SM1, and I have found it is generally the truth with Sailor stuff.

Steve Hesson

... That came from my first SM1, and I have found it is generally the truth with Sailor stuff.

Steve Hesson

Steve,

Was your first SM1 later a QM1???