A B25 variant you don't see every day

38Driver

Got these a while ago as I had to figure out what type of B25 I was looking at. So a little test for the experts before I say :) Extra credit for identifying the Bomb Group!

8gunG1.jpg

8gunG2.jpg

8gunG6.jpg

8gunG4.jpg

8gunG5.jpg

8gunG7.jpg

8gunG8.jpg

8gunG3.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Having built the old Monogram kit numerous times, I'll refrain from answering the type, but my guess on the Group is the 345th.

EDIT:

Heheheh.... nice! I just took a look again. VERY cool. It ain't a J model! That's a B-25D-35. My hunch is, CBI, not SWPA, so the 345th would be wrong.

Not 345th birds. Not a B25D. One of number of 25s that got updated in Hawaii prior to the final push. Note the rocket rails. Going to hold out a bit to see if anyone can figure it out :)

Mitchells aren't my thing, but the A/C looks like it could be an upgraded B-25G. Just a guess.....

You got me thinking the same thing, especially with the waist gunner positions.....

-Ski

Well whatever type it is, I would definitely not want to be on the receiving end of those nose-mounted cannons!! :fear:

Cobrahistorian

I thought it might be a G (and your filename kinda gave it away ;) ), but I wasn't able to find any references with G-10s with the large waist windows, so I went with the D-35. No matter what though, that's a heck of a B-25! Do you have any pics of the tail?

Jon

I thought it might be a G (and your filename kinda gave it away ;) ), but I wasn't able to find any references with G-10s with the large waist windows, so I went with the D-35. No matter what though, that's a heck of a B-25! Do you have any pics of the tail?

Jon

You are correct sir. I thought the G had waist windows even though it was based on the D....I stand corrected. :)

-Ski

It is one of a few low hour B25Gs upgraded at the Hawaii depot for the 41st BG along with some low time glass nose D models. They also had gun nosed J models. The waist windows were added in Hawaii along with the mg nose to replace the cannon nose.

41st had the first 25s over Japan since the Doolittle raid.

Cobrahistorian
It is one of a few low hour B25Gs upgraded at the Hawaii depot for the 41st BG along with some low time glass nose D models. They also had gun nosed J models. The waist windows were added in Hawaii along with the mg nose to replace the cannon nose.

41st had the first 25s over Japan since the Doolittle raid.

Just awesome! Couldn't be more'n a handful of these birds.

Thanks for posting this!

Jon

What's interesting is that the waist windows were open, not like the factory installed closed window with gun mount. The tail had a single 50, similar to this one. This is a Marine PBJ-1D but the idea is the same.

From what I can tell the upgraded Gs had rocket rails on the left wing, and a twin gun pack on on the fuselage on the right side but not the left. 15 50s isn't bad for an early model B25 :)

I tracked down a book on the 41st called "B25s Target Kyushu" by Murry Bywater who was CO of the 41st BG, 7th AF. They flew the first strike by B25s against Japan since the Doolittle Raid on July 1, 1945 from their base in Okinawa.

MarinePBJ1D.jpg

Cobrahistorian

I've been looking for an excuse to build an Accurate Miniatures B-25G... this may be it!

It'll be a heck of a lot of fun to kitbash with the Monogram J model!

Jon