PRICELESS AMERICANA

jimmyhanklane

jimmyhanklane

Thats right gentlemen, I have the score of a lifetime here. The M44 field pack of none other than the international superstar Mr. Whipple ( of please don't squeeze the Charmin fame ). Rumor has it he was first across the Rhine!! On a more serious note, is this an unmodified M44? It is the first pack I've actually had my hands on so my experience is very limited. Faint date stamp of 1944 and can't quite make out manufacturer. Nice issued piece, veteran name stamp and laundry number. A little rodent damage on the suspender ( oh, I mean shrapnel, definatly shrapnel damage...), but exactly how I likem, salty.

post-7554-1331086941.jpg

jimmyhanklane

post-7554-1331087281.jpg

Thats right gentlemen, I have the score of a lifetime here. The M44 field pack of none other than the international superstar Mr. Whipple ( of please don't squeeze the Charmin fame ). Rumor has it he was first across the Rhine!! On a more serious note, is this an unmodified M44? It is the first pack I've actually had my hands on so my experience is very limited. Faint date stamp of 1944 and can't quite make out manufacturer. Nice issued piece, veteran name stamp and laundry number. A little rodent damage on the suspender ( oh, I mean shrapnel, definatly shrapnel damage...), but exactly how I likem, salty.

post-7554-1331086941.jpg

Constabulary

Indeed unmodified but one QR buckle is missing on the backside, as it seems. :thumbsup:

jimmyhanklane

So exactly what was done to "modify" these packs, and was that modification done post war? Sorry for all the questions, I have read the other posts concerning the M44 and 45 packs but have not been able to find the anwsers.

Constabulary

for example cutting the 4 QR loops, adding D-rings and buckles to the front, adding buckles to the back, sewing in an instruction sheet for the M-1945 field pack...