Goggles / Protective Eyewear of WWII

rambob

Here is a grouping of WWII, protective eyewear and disposable goggles. Here is a list of the items and descriptions from top left.

1) Rare pair of Goggles, Ski, Polaroid. Larger than the M-1943 goggles below.

2) Goggles, M-1943 with issue OD leatherette case. Goggles ink stamped US 1944 inside. Note protective paper on lenses

3) Mask, Face, Rocket-Launcher with original issue box. Similar to M1943 goggles, but with extra oilcloth piece sewn on to protect face. Goggles ink stamped US 1944 inside and with protective paper also on lenses.

4) Clip on sun glasses with OD leatherette case marked, U.S F.G Co 1945.

5) Goggles, Ski, Mountain with two style, brown leatherette cases and spare lenses, with tissue paper. Goggles marked FGC on inside of leather nose piece.

6) Sunglasses with OD leatherette case. Case marked F.G Co U.S.

post-299-1168217870.jpg

Here are some more standard goggles and some disposable eye shields/shades.

1) Goggle Kit, Polaroid No. 1021 with cloth carry roll and spare lenses. Below the roll, note the more scarce oilcloth OD case and spare lenses for these same goggles.

2) Goggles, M-1944 with original issue box and spare lenses. Note protective paper still on the lenses. Markings are Polaroid Goggle M-1944 and dated 1945 on the left temple. They don't come nicer than these.

3) Assorted Disposible Eye Shades and and an Eye Shield, still sealed in their original envelopes.

post-299-1168217982.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
General Apathy

post-344-1169549934.jpg

post-344-1169550083.jpg

A mountain / ski troop collector I know, states that the goggles shown attached with this post were never worn by ski troops. Here is the rear cover of ' American rifleman July 1944' showing a ski trooper using the goggles. O.K. we can say that it is a sketched image and not a real photograph. Consider that the artist had to have a model posing for the picture, or why would he assume that these goggles were used by ski troops. The advert is for Western ammunition and so it is not an advert for the goggle company. So what do we trust as evidence for use of items in WWII, only official papers, official photographs, period magazines, anecdotal veteran stories or what. I have often said that you can either find a photograph to prove or disprove a theory, but it's finding that photograph, and it's forums like this that help to find that information. We as collector's, are all sitting on information or photographs or written information that maybe no-one else has ever seen before.

• 2 months later...
craig_pickrall

I found pics to confirm the use of these goggles by Ski Troops. This info is from LIFE Magazine dated JAN 20, 1941. In fact it appears to me that this pic may have been the source of info for the artist.

post-5-1175616628.jpg

post-5-1175616638.jpg

post-5-1175616648.jpg

General Apathy

I found pics to confirm the use of these goggles by Ski Troops. This info is from LIFE Magazine dated JAN 20, 1941. In fact it appears to me that this pic may have been the source of info for the artist.

Thanks to rambob for the posting and to Craig for finding that front cover of ' Life ' to go with the white ski-goggles I posted before that. It's easy to see that the sketch showing the trooper wearing the goggles was actually taken from the cover photo of the Life magazine. It's good that although it's taken a few weeks since I posted the white goggles, that Craig being an ardent fan of the Forum had kept them in his mind when he found the Life magazine front cover. The Forum works, thats research and information for others to share. It's good for me, because someone once told me that Ski-Mountain troopers never wore those white goggles, well hey hey here's the proof.

Cheers ( Lewis )

• 1 month later...
Goggle Kit, Polaroid No. 1021 with cloth carry roll and spare lenses. Below the roll, note the more scarce oilcloth OD case and spare lenses for these same goggles.

Hi

Congratulations! What a beautiful Polaroid 1021 set also red-filtered ones for the pilot's training in IFR (according to modern terminology) or night flying practice according to WWII terminology.

Very nice! thumbsup.gif

• 10 months later...

These are a bit unusual and I have yet to figure out what purpose they served. They are made by American Optical and have Polaroid lenses, with a lever to rotate the left lens. If you've ever used a polarizing filter on a camera you know it has two lenses and one of them can be rotated, which changes the look of the sky (it can increase or decrease the contrast between clouds and sky) and it can reduce reflections as when looking at water such as lakes or oceans or through glass. If you've bought polarized sunglasses for fishing, you know that even their fixed lenses reduce surface reflections so you can better see what is under the water. A rotatable lens system lets you precisely adjust the polarizing effect to compensate for the natural lighting causing the reflections.

I suspect these adjustable goggles - officially called "SINGLE AXIS ROTABLE" - were made for aerial observers: certainly it'd be easier to spot a submarine just below the surface using these. The pair I have did not come with a box but I found two other pair on the web with boxes and each has the same contract number: N288S-17822. That would be a Fall 1943 contract issued by the Naval Aviation Supply Depot Philadelphia (see Navy contract number info at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1590 ).

pola0415.jpg

pola0415front.jpg

pola0415label.jpg

craig_pickrall

I have been trying to find some info for you on these goggles. So far I have looked through my group of photos and the only thing close is the attached pic from LIFE Magazine dated FEB 7, 1944. It is a random pic with no details but they do look like an earlier version of your goggles. I have to start on manuals and books now so it will take some time.

post-5-1208359869.jpg

I have been trying to find some info for you on these goggles. So far I have looked through my group of photos and the only thing close is the attached pic from LIFE Magazine dated FEB 7, 1944. It is a random pic with no details but they do look like an earlier version of your goggles. I have to start on manuals and books now so it will take some time.

That does look like an earlier version with a knob in the center to turn the lens.

I did find a post-war use for these in a physics lab in the 50's and 60's, but it would sure be interesting to know what the Navy did with them:

berkgoggles.jpg

craig_pickrall

I have gone through my likely books with no further luck.

I think in the pic I posted the soldier is looking at a bright light, possibly the sun. That made me think atomic tests. I thought of all those pics of generals and scientist standing in cement bunkers looking through a viewing slot at atomic blasts. I tried google for the Bikini Atoll tests / Operation Crossroads thinking the USN was heavily involved with all those ships. Most of what I found is how Bikini is today. You are a much better web searcher than I am so maybe you can have some luck along that path.

• 1 year later...
locobuster

Excellent find, Erwin, and a great addition to your collection! As for the condition, that's just proof of their authenticity!

Cheers! thumbsup.gif

Syd

The Polaroid goggles with adjustable lenses were nicknamed "gunner's goggles" and were worn by aerial gunners to (supposedly) help them track where their tracers were going.

Here are references from Weld's and Maguire's books. Prodger also covers them.

Tom

post-81-1242517390.jpg

post-81-1242517401.jpg

• 3 months later...
Johan Willaert
ResistalGoggles4.jpg

Were all Resistal Goggles marked on the eye piece rims like this?

I have come across a pair with green tinted lenses, which has the marking on the leather tabs, both sides and nothing on the rims...

Also the attachment of the leather tabs on the sides is different from Erwin's example...

ResistalMarking.jpg

• 10 years later...

Heres another pair of the ski goggles shown about half way up only with amber lenses.  Anyone have any further info on these?  Thanks

DSC_0077.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG