Desert boots

hawkdriver

Hawk,

Your boots are undoubtedly Saudi Arabian made and are manufactured out of camel skin. The Saudis had a local factory that was cranking these out as well as sources from outside the country. They made at least three different patterns of boot, though the differences were more on a wearer's preference than manufactured for specific use.

The camel skin boots were easy for US troops to acquire and were worn by soldiers other than Special Forces. Soldiers billeted near Half Moon Bay could simply drive over to the boot factory and buy pairs of these out of the showroom. As I recall, they cost around $20 USD at the time.

I served as an advisor to the Saudi supply forces, so I saw TONS (literally) of boots and other Saudi equipment. The Saudi boots that I liked wearing the most were a jungle boot made with an "rough out" lowers and tan nylon uppers. As I recall, they were made in Korea as were most of the Saudi uniforms. The Saudis supplied other coalition forces to include the Egyptians, Kuwaitis and the Syrians, so any of those armies could have been wearing the same camel skinned boots as photographed above.

Allan

Hawk,

Your boots are undoubtedly Saudi Arabian made and are manufactured out of camel skin. The Saudis had a local factory that was cranking these out as well as sources from outside the country. They made at least three different patterns of boot, though the differences were more on a wearer's preference than manufactured for specific use.

The camel skin boots were easy for US troops to acquire and were worn by soldiers other than Special Forces. Soldiers billeted near Half Moon Bay could simply drive over to the boot factory and buy pairs of these out of the showroom. As I recall, they cost around $20 USD at the time.

I served as an advisor to the Saudi supply forces, so I saw TONS (literally) of boots and other Saudi equipment. The Saudi boots that I liked wearing the most were a jungle boot made with an "rough out" lowers and tan nylon uppers. As I recall, they were made in Korea as were most of the Saudi uniforms. The Saudis supplied other coalition forces to include the Egyptians, Kuwaitis and the Syrians, so any of those armies could have been wearing the same camel skinned boots as photographed above.

Allan

interesting, any chance the korean made boots are this model (the other ones are the 1990 gi issue)?

sb003.jpg

hawkdriver, i'd be happy to buy those saudi ones, i am still searching a pair.

oh, i even found that apparently since 1/91 they started to make them with the padded collar.

537150633_o.jpg

537150800_o.jpg

interesting, any chance the korean made boots are this model (the other ones are the 1990 gi issue)?

sb003.jpg

oh, i even found that apparently since 1/91 they started to make them with the padded collar.

537150633_o.jpg

537150800_o.jpg

No, the Saudi issued jungle boots don't look anything like the US issued boots. The Saudi boots are VERY light weight and there is virtually no stiffness to the upper "barrel" portion of the boot. The US boots used a nylon material for the barrels and had a padded collar as you call them. The Saudi boots had a really muted red colored sole (almost a pink) with the zigzag trad pattern. The US made boots had a tan Panama sole.

Wearing the Saudi boots was a lot like wearing tennis shoes. They were REALLY comfortable and didn't make my feet feel hot. I was issued a pair of the US made "Schwarzkopf" boots, but never wore them as they were rather stiff. Besides, I thought that running around in Saudi boots was pretty cool! I still have my US issued boots in the box they were issued to me in. They have never even been laced up.

Allan

Apparently it was a tactical decision to issue Saudi troops with boots made of camel skin. It seems when they wear them out in the field they can go a long time without water...no need for Camelpaks! ;)

Once again this is a great forum to read. Do they raise camels commercially for the hide and meat in the middle east like we do cows?

Once again this is a great forum to read. Do they raise camels commercially for the hide and meat in the middle east like we do cows?

Yes, camels are the "cattle of the desert." They are quite hearty and useful animals. They can carry great amounts of weight for long distances, the cows can be milked (it is very frothy and tastes surprisingly sweet), and they are also raised for food. Yes, the skins are used for any number of things by the Bedouins.

Allan

Unfortunately, I didn't buy them, to get them would entail a GMC 4X4 and two hours of gas, so I think they may fall into the "cost prohibitive" catagory.