WW2 USMC 1st Marine Air Wing/FMF PAC Amtracs

Garandy

For me the FM-PAC looks like a nice WW2 vintage snowback but I have a suspicion the I MAW patch is post-war with that red (rather than tan) backing and what appears to be synthetic binding. Have you checked the edges of htis one carefully?

Regards

Mike

My trick is to run my fingernail along the edge of a period questionable patch. If it sort of "clicks" or feels really rough/sharp, there's a decent chance there is a white synthitic mesh used as a binding. This will glow under UV (and sometimes ONLY this will glow) indicating post-WW2 (to me anyway).

Regards

Mike

You have to be careful with the FMF-Pacs, if you look a little closer at the front edge of the FMF-Pac tractor battalion you can see a red edge. If it is twill, it's bad, especially with the mesh on the back edge, which will glow under blacklight, if it is wool it's good. This version is copied the most, but there are good originals out there. The more I look at that one the more details I see in common with the repro version.

The 1st MAW is good though, it's fully embroidered on wool and and has the mesh stabilizer on the back too, as that type does, but it will not have any glow.

Repro vs original

Here a good version of the FMF-Pac Supply Service with detailed feathers and white star.

post-6395-1331200966.jpg

post-6395-1331200986.jpg