HUGE WWII POW grouping - Survivor of Battle of St. Lo July 1944

KASTAUFFER

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Holy cow!!!!! that is a great grouping of stuff, I myself have a very small grouping of a guy who served with I Co. 134th St. Lo - Nancy

• 1 year later...

Love the grouping and all of the history it details. My wife's father served with the 137th in WW2 and received the purple heart, but unfortunately passed away in the early 70s without leaving any kind of written account of his experiences. We did contact several veterans he served with and so did find some additional information and photos about his time with the unit. I wish he could have left a grouping as complete as this one (even though he was never a POW), but I applaud you for keeping these gentlemen's stories alive.

Dale

• 11 months later...

Please, if you ever decide to sell this grouping...please, let me know. I would definitely like to purchase this grouping as Sgt Markworth was with SSgt Charles Gentile when he was killed on 16 JUL 1944. I am good friends with the Gentile family.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to report that Maurice J. A. Marksworth, Co L, 134th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division passed away on Saturday, June 10, 2017 at the age of 97.

If you are researching the 35th Infantry Division or a soldier from any of its units (e.g. 134th, 137th, and 320th Infantry Regiments; 127th, 161st, 216th, 219th Field Arty; etc.) be sure to check out the 134th Infantry Regiment Website. On the website you will find Morning Reports, General Orders, After Action Reports, Unit Journals, plus much more information for all WWII 35th Infantry Division units. I have posted a lot of new information over the last year - so if you haven't checked the site recently you might want to take a look. You don't need to register or pay to use the site. Its open to all.

Best Regards,

Roberta Russo, Webmaster

134th Infantry Regiment Website

http://www.coulthart.com/134

I'm sorry to report that Maurice J. A. Marksworth, Co L, 134th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division passed away on Saturday, June 10, 2017 at the age of 97.

If you are researching the 35th Infantry Division or a soldier from any of its units (e.g. 134th, 137th, and 320th Infantry Regiments; 127th, 161st, 216th, 219th Field Arty; etc.) be sure to check out the 134th Infantry Regiment Website. On the website you will find Morning Reports, General Orders, After Action Reports, Unit Journals, plus much more information for all WWII 35th Infantry Division units. I have posted a lot of new information over the last year - so if you haven't checked the site recently you might want to take a look. You don't need to register or pay to use the site. Its open to all.

Best Regards,

Roberta Russo, Webmaster

I am very sorry to hear that. He was a true hero. I have some videos of interviews he gave at one of the reunions.

Kurt

Best Regards,

Roberta Russo, Webmaster

Roberta

I also wanted to add you have one of the best websites on the entire internet devoted to a specific unit. I have used it many times!! Well done!

Kurt

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently posted a video interview with Sgt, Maurice Markwork that was filmed on August 14, 1997 during a 134th Infantry Regiment Association Reunion at Omaha, NE. In this video he describes fighting in the hedgerows of Normandy during the battle for St Lo, his capture and time as a POW at Stalag IIIC until January 1945 when the camp was liberated by the Russians. He describes how he made his way from the camp through Czechoslovakia back to the American Army in Austria with the help of the Polish underground.

He also briefly discusses his pre-war time with the 134th Infantry Regiment, and training at Ft Rucker AL, the Tennessee Maneuvers, Camp Butner NC, and the West Virginia Mountain Maneuvers. He describes the 134th Infantry's crossing the Atlantic to England in a convoy aboard the USS General A. E. Anderson in May 1944 and their landing on Omaha Beach July 6, 1944.  Here is a link to that video:

Best Regards,

Roberta Russo, Webmaster

I just learned there was a problem with this video when I first posted it to YouTube.  I deleted the bad version and re-posted it.  Here is the new link - sorry for the confusion:

Best Regards,

Roberta Russo, Webmaster

Wharfmaster

My father was a Supply Corps Officer serving aboard the USS General A.E. Anderson during WW2. He and Markworth were aboard at the same time.

The Anderson returned Pacific POWs in 1945.  

W