1st Sgt Chevrons need help to date these

1st Sgt CES

1st Sgt CES

Hello everyone---I got these today out of 4 for $10.00 box and I need some help to date these chevrons. I believe these to be felt on felt . I think they may from the late 1920's . any input or help would be great. I have a soft spot for 1st Sgt Chevrons as I retired as one----Blue Skies Mark

post-6716-1330889625.jpg

post-6716-1330889692.jpg

IIRC the change was made in early 1942 (along with many other changes to uniforms, etc.).

J, you mean the change to the 1st Sergeant insignia that incorporated the the now familar three rockers, no ?

The 2 rocker 1st Sgt. was used from 1920 till mid 1942 and you can find these with various shades of stripes which are nothing more than manufacturing variations. Getting 4 of these for 10 bucks was a sweet deal. :thumbsup:

Patches: Yes, that is what I meant.

In early 1942 the Adj Gen was cranking out thousands of Gen Orders, amongst them many that changed uniform items and how/when they would be worn. The "Smokey the Bear" campaign hat went (other than for horsed troops). The black necktie went. The Sam Browne belt for officers (and maybe the EM garrison belt too) became optional. Shirtsleeve order became acceptable outdoor on-base dress for officers. Instead of wearing officer rank on the shirt shoulder straps, with a "US" on one collar, it became rank on a collar and no "U.S.". And so on. Without looking at a specific order, one cannot say with certainty when the changes were ANNOUNCED or EFFECTIVE

Patches: Yes, that is what I meant.

In early 1942 the Adj Gen was cranking out thousands of Gen Orders, amongst them many that changed uniform items and how/when they would be worn. The "Smokey the Bear" campaign hat went (other than for horsed troops). The black necktie went. The Sam Browne belt for officers (and maybe the EM garrison belt too) became optional. Shirtsleeve order became acceptable outdoor on-base dress for officers. Instead of wearing officer rank on the shirt shoulder straps, with a "US" on one collar, it became rank on a collar and no "U.S.". And so on. Without looking at a specific order, one cannot say with certainty when the changes were ANNOUNCED or EFFECTIVE

thank you J. Right you are, all these changes occured around the same exact time.